For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

BigE

Elite Member
Tony Patelis@TonyPatelis
I'm in favor of disbanding the conference.

Talking Out LOWD @TalkingOutLOWD
Would you be in favor of an A10 downsizing?

1667565591158-png.21704

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
as way of background only about 1/2 of the Big East are jesuit schools - Schools like Depaul, St Johns, Villanova , Seton Hall are Catholic but not jesuit schools
also A10 has 4 Jesuit schools, Loyola, St joes, Fordham and St Louis

IMO, I have always expected big east expansion will reach out to Catholic Schools first

Notice my post said Catholic/Jesuit regarding Big East schools. FYI - Dayton, Duquesne, St. Bonaventure and La Salle are all Catholic schools.

Back to my original point. Dayton and SLU are better fits for the Big East than VCU since they are Catholic/Jesuit schools.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I appreciate the response. All of what you said is currently accurate but….. do you think if the BE has a chance to expand (translation: more money), they wouldn’t *bend* their rules a little bit?

I think they would cherry pick Catholic/Jesuit schools from the A-10 before entertaining any public school. When Wichita State was looking at leaving the MVC, the Big East didn't show any interest in them - although their basketball program was Top 15 and they would have been a great geographic addition for Creighton. That's not to say the Big East will never invite a public school (UConn being the exception). But I don't see it happening until they have exhausted all Catholic/Jesuit school options. That's just their DNA.

As I stated in an earlier post, I think Gonzaga is an outlier when it comes to basketball only schools joining a P5 conference. They are consistently a Top 5 basketball program year in and year out. Not sure even a Villanova from the Big East can say that. I also think Gonzaga to the Big 12 is just the first move by the Big 12, now that their TV revenue contracts are pretty much settled. I think you are also going to see the Big 12 add Arizona State, Arizona, Utah and Colorado to their conference in the near future.

Last edited:

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I think they would cherry pick Catholic/Jesuit schools from the A-10 before entertaining any public school. When Wichita State was looking at leaving the MVC, the Big East didn't show any interest in them - although their basketball program was Top 15 and they would have been a great geographic addition for Creighton. That's not to say the Big East will never invite a public school (UConn being the exception). But I don't see it happening until they have exhausted all Catholic/Jesuit school options. That's just their DNA.

As I stated in an earlier post, I think Gonzaga is an outlier when it comes to basketball only schools joining a P5 conference. They are consistently a Top 5 basketball program year in and year out. Not sure even a Villanova from the Big East can say that. I also think Gonzaga to the Big 12 is just the first move by the Big 12, now that their TV revenue contracts are pretty much settled. I think you are also going to see the Big 12 add Arizona State, Arizona, Utah and Colorado t their conference in the near future.
I’m not sure about those 4 PAC 12 schools being the Big 12’s targets. I don’t think there’s much upside adding Utah when they already have BYU coming in. And there are still some sore feelings towards Colorado for leaving them. Oregon and their Nike money plus Washington and the Seattle market would seem to be better options. They’re further from the footprint, but better options IMO.

If I were them, I’d make a run at Stanford too, though I don’t think they’d be willing to go to the Big 12. They’d fit the Big Ten better.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Total hypothetical because it’s not happening… but I’d love to see people’s opinions.

If the Big 12 invited both Gonzaga and VCU, where would people side?

I would be 1000% in.
I'd be totally in.... but never gonna happen for VCU.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
I’m not sure about those 4 PAC 12 schools being the Big 12’s targets. I don’t think there’s much upside adding Utah when they already have BYU coming in. And there are still some sore feelings towards Colorado for leaving them. Oregon and their Nike money plus Washington and the Seattle market would seem to be better options. They’re further from the footprint, but better options IMO.

If I were them, I’d make a run at Stanford too, though I don’t think they’d be willing to go to the Big 12. They’d fit the Big Ten better.
And when you listen to people on the left coast they are talking about the PAC raiding the Big 12. I think these two conferences would do really well merging rather than talking about raiding each other's members. But who am I to think.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
And when you listen to people on the left coast they are talking about the PAC raiding the Big 12. I think these two conferences would do really well merging rather than talking about raiding each other's members. But who am I to think.

Personally, I don't see a merger at this point. The Big 12 is in the driver's seat regarding the Big 12/PAC 12 by agreeing to a new TV revenue contract prior to the PAC 12 having a chance. Also, the new TV revenue contract factors in any future Big 12 additions from other P5 conferences by increasing the revenue to accommodate those additions to the conference. The new Big 12 commissioner is on his "A" game right now regarding protecting/expanding the conference.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Personally, I don't see a merger at this point. The Big 12 is in the driver's seat regarding the Big 12/PAC 12 by agreeing to a new TV revenue contract prior to the PAC 12 having a chance. Also, the new TV revenue contract factors in any future Big 12 additions from other P5 conferences by increasing the revenue to accommodate those additions to the conference. The new Big 12 commissioner is on his "A" game right now regarding protecting/expanding the conference.
yeah, I think a lot of the west coast talk of the PAC raiding Big 12 is wishful thinking at this point. The PAC leadership missed the boat on some possible good expansion (for years they hesitated to add religiously affiliated schools, now they'd love to have BYU) options. Now they are scrambling a bit. SDSU looks likely, some talk of SMU to get into Texas markets (a lot of PAC football teams already recruit heavily in TX). They like to get a few more in that area, but that's the wishful thinking of raiding the Big 12 speaking. Houston would have been a great add, too late now.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member

As I stated in an earlier post, I think Gonzaga is an outlier when it comes to basketball only schools joining a P5 conference. They are consistently a Top 5 basketball program year in and year out. Not sure even a Villanova from the Big East can say that. I also think Gonzaga to the Big 12 is just the first move by the Big 12, now that their TV revenue contracts are pretty much settled. I think you are also going to see the Big 12 add Arizona State, Arizona, Utah and Colorado to their conference in the near future.
I'd agree that Gonzaga is an outlier as a basketball only school joining a P5 conference.

Regarding the BE connection to Catholic/Jesuit school options, I guess we will see what kind of TV deal they can pull. I don't really see SLU-Dayton-VCU-Loyola-WichitaSt-Belmont, etc moving the needle for the conference.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
I'd agree that Gonzaga is an outlier as a basketball only school joining a P5 conference.

Regarding the BE connection to Catholic/Jesuit school options, I guess we will see what kind of TV deal they can pull. I don't really see SLU-Dayton-VCU-Loyola-WichitaSt-Belmont, etc moving the needle for the conference.
Loyola potentially could. Chicago is a huge TV market. The others, though, I can definitely see that being an issue.

Bluey

Elite Member
Insider
Loyola potentially could. Chicago is a huge TV market. The others, though, I can definitely see that being an issue.
BE already have DePaul, which is more relevant in Chicago than Loyola and yet irrelevant in that Chicago is heavy on Notre Dame and Big10

Mercury

Elite Member

They BE already has one team in Chicago nobody cares about. Natty said it best about why the Big East will ultimately have to expand so I won't rehash the argument. I agree with @theywantit that none of the options move the needle which is why the BE won't expand until they ultimately have to. Realistically the options for expansion aren't going to get better than Dayton, VCU and SLU

Also hard to see SLU over VCU considering the BE has had multiple chances to add them and hasn't

Notice my post said Catholic/Jesuit regarding Big East schools. FYI - Dayton, Duquesne, St. Bonaventure and La Salle are all Catholic schools.

Back to my original point. Dayton and SLU are better fits for the Big East than VCU since they are Catholic/Jesuit schools.
imo just an odd way of referring to them since jesuits are catholics - yup we both agree st louis/dayton would be betting favorites for expansion since both are catholic

VCU Heel

Elite Member
We just played two ASUN teams and they’re about to lose 4 of their conference members (Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky, Central Arkansas, North Alabama).

Atlantic Sun, WAC teams pairing up to attempt move to FBS, sources say​