For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

ShoeSh1ne

Insider
Anyone think the remainder of the big 12 will try to bring in Memphis and Houston?

In which case, the AAC makes overtures to VCU and maybe St. Louis?

Let's say they take 2 of Memphis/Houston/Cincy - the AAC becomes much less desirable for me. Is Wichita St and Temple better long term than Dayton/UR/SLU?

MemTGRS

Elite Member
Memphis and Cincy should be definite targets of the Big 12 if it remains a viable conference.

Houston isn’t as certain. The conference already has Texas Tech, TCU, and Baylor. They don’t really need another school from the state of Texas.
Until Texas & Oklahoma make definite statements of staying in the Big 12 --- laced with the REAL action of extending the conference's Grant of Rights, I will now switch from trying to convince you guys from joining to the AAC ... instead to you all accepting us in the Atlantic 10.

I would endorse us allying with Wichita State in a pitch to the A-10 where the 16 schools would have quads where you just play each other over and over and over in most sports beyond basketball (and prior to conference tournaments) to save $$$ ...
NY/NE: St. Bonnie, Fordham, UMass, Rhody
DC/Penn: Duquesne, GWU, La Salle, St. Joe's
NC/VA: Davidson, GMU, VCU, Richmond
West: Dayton, St. Louis, Memphis, Wichita State

Besides, I plan on going to the A-10 tournament in DC again this year. I had a great time back in 2018. Chinatown's cuisine between sessions is choice.

If we (Memphis) are left behind, of course. As we all know, it is Famine (like we did with C-USA V2.0) or Feast (accruing a conference upgrade --- VCU to A-10, Memphis to AAC) for all those in the reactionary world of realignment. I would want our football to go back to independent and by that time, I could see Old Dominion doing the same. We could then salvage a post-September schedule with UMass, UConn, Liberty, ODU, and New Mexico State. Probably have to take more 2-for-1 deals like the one just signed with Arkansas --- but we do get a cool flat $1 Million check from the Hogs out of it.

PS. Food for thought (insert cheesy drumroll), I discovered this place (the bomb!) near my hotel in Fairfax. Familiar? You can try it during your next journey to a game at GMU for that matter ...

tuttlecr

Elite Member
Let's say they take 2 of Memphis/Houston/Cincy - the AAC becomes much less desirable for me. Is Wichita St and Temple better long term than Dayton/UR/SLU?
If OU and Texas do end up joining the SEC, the B12 is likely going to pull the best of the football schools from the AAC into the fold and that could really destabilize the tweener conferences like the AAC, A10, WCC & C-USA to a lesser extent. In that scenario, if the A10 can pull in the remaining top talent (Temple, Wichita, Others?) we would be okay, but I think things could get really bumpy over the next year.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Until Texas & Oklahoma make definite statements of staying in the Big 12 --- laced with the REAL action of extending the conference's Grant of Rights, I will now switch from trying to convince you guys from joining to the AAC ... instead to you all accepting us in the Atlantic 10.

I would endorse us allying with Wichita State in a pitch to the A-10 where the 16 schools would have quads where you just play each other over and over and over in most sports beyond basketball (and prior to conference tournaments) to save $$$ ...

Besides, I plan on going to the A-10 tournament in DC again this year. I had a great time back in 2018. Chinatown's cuisine between sessions is choice.

If we (Memphis) are left behind, of course. As we all know, it is Famine (like we did with C-USA V2.0) or Feast (accruing a conference upgrade --- VCU to A-10, Memphis to AAC) for all those in the reactionary world of realignment. I would want our football to go back to independent and by that time, I could see Old Dominion doing the same. We could then salvage a post-September schedule with UMass, UConn, Liberty, ODU, and New Mexico State. Probably have to take more 2-for-1 deals like the one just signed with Arkansas --- but we do get a cool flat $1 Million check from the Hogs out of it.

PS. Food for thought (insert cheesy drumroll), I discovered this place (the bomb!) near my hotel in Fairfax. Familiar? You can try it during your next journey to a game at GMU for that matter ...

I honestly think this ends with Memphis and Wichita State in the A-10, so I think your scenario makes sense.

VCU Heel

Elite Member

You really think your administration would be will to go independent in football? That would be the death of the program within 5 years. With the power conferences going to 9-10 games, scheduling would be very difficult. TV revenues would be destroyed and recruiting would suffer.

At this point, Memphis is sitting in a decent spot. Either the Big 12 invites Memphis and another team or three and you’ve just had a massive conference upgrade in both football and basketball or the Big 12 gets cannibalized by the other P5 conferences and the AAC can add any attractive programs that are left over to upgrade their conference. This news seems to be good for you guys.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
If OU and Texas do end up joining the SEC, the B12 is likely going to pull the best of the football schools from the AAC into the fold and that could really destabilize the tweener conferences like the AAC, A10, WCC & C-USA to a lesser extent. In that scenario, if the A10 can pull in the remaining top talent (Temple, Wichita, Others?) we would be okay, but I think things could get really bumpy over the next year.
The A10 shouldn’t be hurt by this. In fact, this should help the A10. If the AAC has its best team stripped away, then we no longer have to worry about losing teams like Dayton and St. Louis to them. They won’t be an attractive option for those teams anymore. And we might be able to add teams like Temple and Wichita State to help strengthen the conference. The only real threat to longterm stability of the A10 is the Big East and whether they ever decide to go after a few teams from our conference. And I don’t think that is really likely at this time since the Texas/OU news doesn’t really affect their conference either. They may actually try to go after schools like Wichita State and Temple or make a really wild play and see if Kansas wants to join them and either have their football team play independent, in a smaller conference, or drop to FCS.

tuttlecr

Elite Member
The A10 shouldn’t be hurt by this. In fact, this should help the A10. If the AAC has its best team stripped away, then we no longer have to worry about losing teams like Dayton and St. Louis to them. They won’t be an attractive option for those teams anymore. And we might be able to add teams like Temple and Wichita State to help strengthen the conference. The only real threat to longterm stability of the A10 is the Big East and whether they ever decide to go after a few teams from our conference. And I don’t think that is really likely at this time since the Texas/OU news doesn’t really affect their conference either. They may actually try to go after schools like Wichita State and Temple or make a really wild play and see if Kansas wants to join them and either have their football team play independent, in a smaller conference, or drop to FCS.

I agree that the A10 stands to potentially benefit here and I hope it does do for our program's sake. I'm wondering if short term (2-3 years) we see the accelerated collapse of many FBS programs to FCS and the realignment of some of these tweener conferences for hoops reasons.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I agree that the A10 stands to potentially benefit here and I hope it does do for our program's sake. I'm wondering if short term (2-3 years) we see the accelerated collapse of many FBS programs to FCS and the realignment of some of these tweener conferences for hoops reasons.
Yep. The strength of schedules within these conferences will make it impossible for non-P5s to make the football playoffs. It is already nearly impossible for them. Football for non-P5s is nothing more than tailgate opportunities and a chance at the Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl.

I think we really need to let our guard down around Fordham and hope somebody scoops them up.

FORDHAM TO THE BIG EAST!!!!

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
If I am the Big 12, I'm definitely grabbing Houston and Cincinnati. Houston is a great fit and should have been in the Big 12 prior to now. Cincinnati becomes that one school geographically that aligns with West Virginia. In addition to Houston and Cincinnati, I would not be a bit surprised if the Big 12 grabbed the two Florida schools (USF & UCF) in an attempt to break into the Florida market. Adding the two Florida schools would bring the Big 12 back to 12 schools, and still make it a strong conference in both football and basketball.

With that said, the AAC is now severely depleted. With the loss of 4 football schools, the AAC will need to decide if it still wants to be a football centric conference or a blend of football/basketball schools. My guess is the AAC will cherry pick C-USA. Outside of maybe Western Kentucky, every other C-USA school is going to be a basketball liability, but the AAC would need 4 football schools to get it back to 10 football members. This is not a good scenario for the AAC, but they did split away from the Big East in order to protect football.

So where does that leave VCU and the A-10? If these dominoes fall, the A-10 needs to be super aggressive in trying to add Wichita State and one other non-football school to it's membership. Wichita State is not going to want to stay in a watered down AAC and would be ripe for the picking. As far as that last non-football school, the A-10 would have options. At the top of the list should definitely be Loyola University Chicago. If not them, then possibly another MVC school like Illinois State that would fit geographically with SLU, Wichita State and Dayton.

Personally, I just don't see a remaining AAC football school (Memphis) going independent in football and joining the A-10 in all other sports.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
Easy. I am a product of WVU and my academics are as good or better than anyone on this board. Actually Heel, VA Tech and WVU are comparable. Maybe not. WVU has a law school and a med school and a rabid fan base. The student body has similar characteristics. Tech gets a lot of students from southern West Virginia.
Cooley also has a law school and an impressive amount of library seats, but that doesn't mean I think they belong in the ACC.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
If I am the Big 12, I'm definitely grabbing Houston and Cincinnati. Houston is a great fit and should have been in the Big 12 prior to now. Cincinnati becomes that one school geographically that aligns with West Virginia. In addition to Houston and Cincinnati, I would not be a bit surprised if the Big 12 grabbed the two Florida schools (USF & UCF) in an attempt to break into the Florida market. Adding the two Florida schools would bring the Big 12 back to 12 schools, and still make it a strong conference in both football and basketball.

With that said, the AAC is now severely depleted. With the loss of 4 football schools, the AAC will need to decide if it still wants to be a football centric conference or a blend of football/basketball schools. My guess is the AAC will cherry pick C-USA. Outside of maybe Western Kentucky, every other C-USA school is going to be a basketball liability, but the AAC would need 4 football schools to get it back to 10 football members. This is not a good scenario for the AAC, but they did split away from the Big East in order to protect football.

So where does that leave VCU and the A-10? If these dominoes fall, the A-10 needs to be super aggressive in trying to add Wichita State and one other non-football school to it's membership. Wichita State is not going to want to stay in a watered down AAC and would be ripe for the picking. As far as that last non-football school, the A-10 would have options. At the top of the list should definitely be Loyola University Chicago. If not them, then possibly another MVC school like Illinois State that would fit geographically with SLU, Wichita State and Dayton.

Personally, I just don't see a remaining AAC football school (Memphis) going independent in football and joining the A-10 in all other sports.
Good point. I wouldn't mind inviting Loyola Chicago, although they're a bit of a question mark now that Porter Moser is gone.

MemTGRS

Elite Member
You really think your administration would be will to go independent in football? That would be the death of the program within 5 years. With the power conferences going to 9-10 games, scheduling would be very difficult. TV revenues would be destroyed and recruiting would suffer.

At this point, Memphis is sitting in a decent spot. Either the Big 12 invites Memphis and another team or three and you’ve just had a massive conference upgrade in both football and basketball or the Big 12 gets cannibalized by the other P5 conferences and the AAC can add any attractive programs that are left over to upgrade their conference. This news seems to be good for you guys.

I do appreciate your "worst case scenario". Unfortunately, I am much more pessimistic. I do not see us in a decent spot if the Big 12 invites two from the AAC and we are not one of them. I certainly see the Big 12 with maintaining an adequate nucleus to pick who they want instead of the current members scrambling to find a landing spot. The reason is that beyond West Virginia and Kansas (and for them, mainly just a non-football standpoint), I am not seeing anyone of the Big 12 getting picked up. If I stretch it -- perhaps Oklahoma State to the Pac-12?

Without much thought, articles keep saying that the Big Ten, ACC, and Pac-12 must now "keep up" and go to 16 or whatever. Unless the Big Ten hits the Pac-12 (Colorado?) or ACC (UVa, UNC, Duke) ... and then the Pac-12 and/or ACC must backfill --- backfill, and not add- -- I say ... why? I just don't see P5 (now P4, oops) attraction towards the Big 12 leftovers.

You are right about the independence in football being a long term program killer. Not trying to sound arrogant, but I could see MAYBE landing a football-only spot in the Sun Belt or Conference USA coupled with joining the A-10, or Big East.

I hate this for another reason as I really did want to share a conference with you guys, Dayton, and St. Louis. And not giving up on that, I would approach the Mountain West, about a football only flank in the Central & Eastern time zones where the Big 12 leftovers (assuming we only lose Cincinnati and UCF ... Houston probably has some TX politics to overcome) breakaway and form a brand new conference league:
AAC splinters: Wichita State, SMU, Houston, Memphis, USF, Temple
A-10/C-USA splinters (along with WSU, six non-football total to assure of a core group in the future): St. Louis, Dayton, VCU, UMass, Rhody ... and make Gonzaga say No (or Yes) to us.

Or another brand new league to retain the minimum eight full time members required to sponsor football (UMass, Temple, South Florida, Memphis, USF, SMU, Houston ... and one more) and invite six so that group has a future non-football core to rebuild if necessary --- Wichita State, St. Louis, Dayton, VCU, Rhody ... and one more.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
giphy.gif