For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

TAEKWONDO

Elite Member
A large part of my family lives in the Lancaster County area of Pennsylvania. I know Temple University athletics, and being in a far flung league like the the AAC, due to football, has never made sense to me. Temple is, was, noted for their basketball success, and I would think the A-10 would more than welcome them back as a league member if the AAC falls apart. Also, I would think due to close rivalries the A-10 is a far better league for their basketball, and all their other sports with football being the exception.

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider

giphy.gif

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
It's being reported that Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech reached out to the PAC 12 last night. That would only leave the BIG 12 with WVU, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Iowa State if that were to happen. Things are about to get really interesting.

FYI - Absolutely no way the ACC would take WVU. Cincinnati has a better shot at the ACC than WVU does. My guess is Notre Dame's hand gets forced to join the ACC in all sports. I could also see the PAC 12 also adding BYU with the three schools from the Big 12.

rvaram

Elite Member
If we wind up with 4 super conferences there is basically going to be no more out of conference basketball for the big leagues with the exception of the early holiday tournaments and the dance. I feel like that would put some pressure on the big east to expand if for no other reason than to fill out the bball schedule.

Get vcu, temple, Dayton, slu, Richmond and go to 16 teams

VCU Heel

Elite Member
If we wind up with 4 super conferences there is basically going to be no more out of conference basketball for the big leagues with the exception of the early holiday tournaments and the dance. I feel like that would put some pressure on the big east to expand if for no other reason than to fill out the bball schedule.

VCU, Temple, Dayton, Wichita State, and Davidson would be my choices.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
It's being reported that Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech reached out to the PAC 12 last night. That would only leave the BIG 12 with WVU, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Iowa State if that were to happen. Things are about to get really interesting.

FYI - Absolutely no way the ACC would take WVU. Cincinnati has a better shot at the ACC than WVU does. My guess is Notre Dame's hand gets forced to join the ACC in all sports. I could also see the PAC 12 also adding BYU with the three schools from the Big 12.
Heck, I've seen rumors that Kansas and Kansas State could end up in the MVC of all places (dropping their football programs to FCS). I highly doubt it but still. Brave new world.

VCU Heel

Elite Member

I’m not sure the PAC-12 will link itself with a religious university like Baylor. That’s one reason they stayed away from BYU. There are also some big cultural/political difference between California and Texas that might make that a no-go.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member

The Big East doesn't have to do anything at the moment. Although the new P4 conferences very easily could cut out most of their OOC games, the Big East will have it's pick of OOC games from the remaining top teams in the country. Everyone else is going to be begging the Big East for OOC games.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I’m not sure the PAC-12 will link itself with a religious university like Baylor. That’s one reason they stayed away from BYU. There are also some big cultural/political difference between California and Texas that might make that a no-go.

Utah might be a state school, but it is Mormon centric. At this point, the PAC 12 will do what's best for it's bank account. They have struggled lately in both football and basketball and desperately need to increased their national TV viewership.

rvaram

Elite Member
The Big East doesn't have to do anything at the moment. Although the new P4 conferences very easily could cut out most of their OOC games, the Big East will have it's pick of OOC games from the remaining top teams in the country. Everyone else is going to be begging the Big East for OOC games.
True, but if the networks start putting the screws to them whenever that deal with fox runs out they may need to add some eyeballs to their league. I mean if the big12 couldn't hammer out a tv deal things must be brutal

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider

if you are trying to form a basketball-centric, non P4 super conference fUR should not be in the discussion at all