For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Utah might be a state school, but it is Mormon centric. At this point, the PAC 12 will do what's best for it's bank account. They have struggled lately in both football and basketball and desperately need to increased their national TV viewership.
I’m not sure Baylor and Waco, TX push them over the top. They could add Houston and get a larger market and not get the other issues that come along with Baylor. TCU is much more secular than Baylor and wouldn’t be much of a problem, but I really don’t see what they add.

rvaram

Elite Member
if you are trying to form a basketball-centric, non P4 super conference fUR should not be in the discussion at all
Big east still seems somewhat concerned with "institutional fit". Maybe if it gets to the point where they have to add temple, VCU etc. they throw that out the window but maybe they still want the overall vibe to be private schools.

I mean f 'em, but they have deep pockets, good facilities, no crazy baggage (outside of Chris Mooney). Not a whole lot of smaller private schools can check all those boxes.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
True, but if the networks start putting the screws to them whenever that deal with fox runs out they may need to add some eyeballs to their league. I mean if the big12 couldn't hammer out a tv deal things must be brutal

I think it's more about Texas and Oklahoma holding the BIG 12 hostage than it is about the BIG 12 hammering out a TV deal. Texas has had their way in the BIG 12 ever since it was formed, including maintaining the Longhorn Network.

FYI - Texas is giving up the Longhorn Network as part of their entry into the SEC.

One other note. Texas and Oklahoma have now played their cards. If the SEC invitation doesn't happen, I'll guarantee you Texas has the ACC as Plan B, and Oklahoma has the PAC 12 as their Plan B.

Last edited:

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider
Big east still seems somewhat concerned with "institutional fit". Maybe if it gets to the point where they have to add temple, VCU etc. they throw that out the window but maybe they still want the overall vibe to be private schools.

I mean f 'em, but they have deep pockets, good facilities, no crazy baggage (outside of Chris Mooney). Not a whole lot of smaller private schools can check all those boxes.

they also check the box for not doing anything significant on the court for over a decade, if they change conferences they are downgrading not upgrading ha

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I’m not sure Baylor and Waco, TX push them over the top. They could add Houston and get a larger market and not get the other issues that come along with Baylor. TCU is much more secular than Baylor and wouldn’t be much of a problem, but I really don’t see what they add.

Baylor just won a national championship in basketball. TCU brings a lot of value with it's football program. Plus, adding those two, and Texas Tech, really opens up PAC 12 recruiting in Texas due to the increased visibility of the conference in Texas.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member

The Big East did just add UConn, which doesn't exactly fit their model (they're the only public school and one of only two secular schools in the conference) - the only real connection was that UConn was dominant in the old Big East.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member

The Big East just welcomed back UConn. I'll guarantee you there is a long list of schools, including VCU, that are higher on the BIG East's list than fur. The Big East doesn't need another DePaul in their conference.

Mercury

Elite Member
The Big East did just add UConn, which doesn't exactly fit their model (they're the only public school and one of only two secular schools in the conference) - the only real connection was that UConn was dominant in the old Big East.
UConn has 4 National championships, including one as a member of the AAC. Their brand is unmatched and doesn’t need to fit the model.

RamDanFan

Elite Member
I
Anyone think the remainder of the big 12 will try to bring in Memphis and Houston?

In which case, the AAC makes overtures to VCU and maybe St. Louis?

My apologies, but is this a done deal with Texas and Oklahoma bolting for the SEC? I have yet to see an article or link stating as such.

RamDanFan

Elite Member
Everything is up for speculation. If dominoes fall the A10 could position itself as a stronger basketball conference by pulling in good teams that are better at basketball than football.

Would the Big East try to make a 16 team basketball power conference so they could stay on par with the P4 in basketball?

VCU Heel

Elite Member
My apologies, but is this a done deal with Texas and Oklahoma bolting for the SEC? I have yet to see an article or link stating as such.
No articles, but it’s pretty much a done deal. And if it falls through with the SEC, they’ll try for the ACC and/or PAC-12. They‘re done with the Big 12.

Newboy

Elite Member
my idea, which I'm sure the experts will be rushing to tell me why it's all wrong and would never work, is that the Big East tries to push to 14 or even 16 members and adds the top successful, dedicated, and basketball-focused universities in the Eastern half of the country and then let the football schools bash each others brains out over whatever they want
I second your idea. It may be our way in. Screw the AAC.