For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
Until Texas & Oklahoma make definite statements of staying in the Big 12 --- laced with the REAL action of extending the conference's Grant of Rights, I will now switch from trying to convince you guys from joining to the AAC ... instead to you all accepting us in the Atlantic 10.

I would endorse us allying with Wichita State in a pitch to the A-10 where the 16 schools would have quads where you just play each other over and over and over in most sports beyond basketball (and prior to conference tournaments) to save $$$ ...
NY/NE: St. Bonnie, Fordham, UMass, Rhody
DC/Penn: Duquesne, GWU, La Salle, St. Joe's
NC/VA: Davidson, GMU, VCU, Richmond
West: Dayton, St. Louis, Memphis, Wichita State

Besides, I plan on going to the A-10 tournament in DC again this year. I had a great time back in 2018. Chinatown's cuisine between sessions is choice.

If we (Memphis) are left behind, of course. As we all know, it is Famine (like we did with C-USA V2.0) or Feast (accruing a conference upgrade --- VCU to A-10, Memphis to AAC) for all those in the reactionary world of realignment. I would want our football to go back to independent and by that time, I could see Old Dominion doing the same. We could then salvage a post-September schedule with UMass, UConn, Liberty, ODU, and New Mexico State. Probably have to take more 2-for-1 deals like the one just signed with Arkansas --- but we do get a cool flat $1 Million check from the Hogs out of it.

PS. Food for thought (insert cheesy drumroll), I discovered this place (the bomb!) near my hotel in Fairfax. Familiar? You can try it during your next journey to a game at GMU for that matter ...

I love you man. I always appreciate your posts.

You just signed Larry Brown on to your coaching staff and recruit potential lottery picks on a regular basis, the arena hold 18K!

Your football stadium 61,000 People.

Why on earth would you think memphis fans want to see trade a conference who worst team is ECU with a conference with Fordham in it?

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Memphis and Cincy should be definite targets of the Big 12 if it remains a viable conference.

Houston isn’t as certain. The conference already has Texas Tech, TCU, and Baylor. They don’t really need another school from the state of Texas.
But the metro area of Houston has roughly half the population of Texas. It's a giant market all by itself. That metro area may be a draw.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Good point. I wouldn't mind inviting Loyola Chicago, although they're a bit of a question mark now that Porter Moser is gone.
They have been pulling in some good recruits lately (some that we have also offered). So, I think they are taking advantage of their more recognizable brand at least on that front. I too want to see if they continue to win a lot of games and make runs in the NCAA's. If so, yeah, they'd be great for the A10.

buckwheat

Elite Member
They have been pulling in some good recruits lately (some that we have also offered). So, I think they are taking advantage of their more recognizable brand at least on that front. I too want to see if they continue to win a lot of games and make runs in the NCAA's. If so, yeah, they'd be great for the A10.
They’ll be good again next year. Four out of 5 seniors (not Krutwig, unfortunately) are taking advantage of the extra year of eligibility. That’s a lot of solid experience.

After next year, who knows. I don’t happen to believe they are a fit for the A-10. Keep in mind this is a school who was absolutely awful for many, many years and hadn’t even won a conference championship for over 30 years until 2018. Recent success aside, they are nowhere remotely close to the VCU level of consistency as of yet.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
They’ll be good again next year. Four out of 5 seniors (not Krutwig, unfortunately) are taking advantage of the extra year of eligibility. That’s a lot of solid experience.

After next year, who knows. I don’t happen to believe they are a fit for the A-10. Keep in mind this is a school who was absolutely awful for many, many years and hadn’t even won a conference championship for over 30 years until 2018. Recent success aside, they are nowhere remotely close to the VCU level of consistency as of yet.
Neither were we not so many years ago. But yeah, I'd like to see them do it a few more years and show they are building a program and not just a few good teams. Let's see what they do the next few years after the coaching change. Then do they use the visibility to upgrade facilities (I have no idea what they have, maybe they are already good), build fan base, finances etc. Even now, they would probably be an improvement over some A10 programs. And getting into the Chicago market wouldn't hurt either.

Newboy

Elite Member
Yeah, but they lost Dick Butkus.
1627073851923.png

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
But the metro area of Houston has roughly half the population of Texas. It's a giant market all by itself. That metro area may be a draw.

Plus, it's not like the State of Texas is geographically the same size as Virginia. El Paso is closer to Los Angeles than it is to Houston.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member

Neither is 3/4 of the A-10.

Any conference that includes programs that are more associated with FBS football than basketball is a non-starter in my eyes, as they will jump as soon as they see an opportunity to better position themselves for a spot in an expanded CFP.

Any conference that requires regular trips across multiple time zones is also a non-starter. Olympic sports would throw a fit having to regularly fly out to Boise and Reno. I have no desire to watch games that tip off at 10:30pm Eastern on a weeknight.

Any conference that sponsors FBS football is a house of cards waiting to collapse. Wichita State very well could find themselves in a conference where Tulsa is left to prop up the basketball side if the Big 12 goes the route of raiding the American.

I want nothing to do with BYU, their honor code, or their refusal to play on Sundays. I can respect their religious identity, but I don't want anything to do with having them as a conference-mate.

The Big East remains the most attractive option but they don't seem inclined to expand past 11 right now, and there's no real danger of any of those schools leaving for another conference.