For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
The biggest difference to me is that VCU has proven we can win almost regardless of who is coaching. There's a lot of question marks about Davidson once mckillop retires

You could say the same thing about Duke and Coach K. Davidson has been a good fit for the A-10 in many ways.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
And, why would they…..let’s not act like the Big10 football is really all that beyond Ohio State, and one of Sparty, Whisky and Penn State being relevant every few years, not all that different from Clemson and their occasional toothless challengers in the ACC.

The wild rumor shared by a DFW local journalist, is the ACC has also reached out through channels to OU and Texas—unsubstantiated and a long shot, but that would be wild.

The ACC met with Texas officials in North Carolina shortly after Texas A&M bolted for the SEC. There is some history there. It would not surprise me one bit if the ACC threw their hat in the ring regarding the Texas sweepstakes. They have nothing to lose by doing so.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
Why do you need a mega conference if they are going to expand the playoffs. I just don't see this happening.
That tweet looked like bait when it was posted and no one else has verified it. Total BS.

But you build a mega conference to lock up every possible spot in the playoffs and put yourself in a position to negotiate the biggest possible TV deal. Pull all the money out of the market

VCU Heel

Elite Member
The ACC met with Texas officials in North Carolina shortly after Texas A&M bolted for the SEC. There is some history there. It would not surprise me one bit if the ACC threw their hat in the ring regarding the Texas sweepstakes. They have nothing to lose by doing so.
I think the ACC would love to add a Texas/Notre Dame combo. They would be able to sign TV deals every bit as big (probably bigger) than the SEC and Big Ten. They might take a Texas/Oklahoma combo, but that would probably take adding Notre Dame off the table and I don’t think they’d want that.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Instead of Baylor, TCU, Kansas State and WVU join the AAC, I think you are going to see a new conference emerge similar to what happened when the Great Midwest and Metro merged to form C-USA. I can see those 4 schools cherry picking from the AAC to form a new league and/or continue as the Big 12. Schools like Navy, Tulane, Wichita State and Temple could be left out when the dust settles.
I think AAC teams would be hesitant to go join those 4 teams knowing that they‘d be likely to bolt during the next round of realignment if and when the Big Ten, ACC, and PAC-12 came calling. The AAC would actually be in a position of some power to tell those 4 teams to join them or enjoy being independents. And adding those 4 team would make the AAC the king of the non-P4.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
This new P-16 is being talked about by some Oklahoma State fans. It would be a pretty formidable conference, especially being able to recruit both Texas and California. One issue is that Boise State is not a tier 1 research university, which I’ve heard is currently a requirement to be a PAC-12 member. Texas Tech and Houston are, so they would qualify.

One interesting thing is that there are currently 64 members of the P5 conferences. Notre Dame is team #65. If Boise State and Houston were to get into one of the four 16 team P4 conferences, then two current P5 members are going to end up on the outside looking in. If Notre Dame also joins the ACC, then that number goes to 3. I think the most likely teams that need to worry about this are Kansas State, Baylor, and TCU. They all might be permanently relegate to the AAC. And West Virginia could be on the outside looking in too if the ACC goes for someone else that’s currently outside of the P5 like Cincinnati.

From a VCU perspective, if a P4 with 16 teams each happens in the near future, then joining a conference like the AAC might become more viable. At that point, all of the football realignment will be done for decades and the AAC becomes a much more stable conference longterm. If they add Baylor, TCU, and Kansas State, also have either West Virginia or Cincinnati, and only lose Houston, then they will be a pretty strong basketball conference for a long time.

CF8AC2E9-E5DA-4BEC-9691-45DAD43667F8.jpeg

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
Thanks for posting that @VCU Heel about the 64 P5. Makes perfect sense for 4 16 team superconferences. heck, VCU can't even win a preseason conference tournament, why should we worry about a Natty?

VCU Heel

Elite Member
This is a good strategy by Texas and Oklahoma.

They leaked this when they did and are doing things this way in the hopes that the whole Big 12 conference falls apart. You don’t have to pay a GOR buyout if there’s no conference to pay it to.

Say you’re not extending the GOR after 2025. Hope the Big 12 falls apart in the next 6 months to save a lot of money. If the Big 12 stays together, then exit early anyway and pay the fee. There’s no way that Texas and Oklahoma stay in the Big 12 through 2025. I’d be very surprised if they stay in the conference beyond the 2021-22 seasons. This strategy has most likely been run by the SEC, if not worked out in collaboration with them.

And they don’t need $76 million sitting around to pay this. They’ll take out loans based on the money they’ll receive through their SEC payouts just like they would if they were building new facilities.