For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
That could start eroding if the disconnect between the student and the athlete continues.
I'm not contributing to a minor league sports program just because they are loosly affiliated with the school.
The TBT is an unintentional testing ground for that model and some fan bases are providing a high level of support for their loosely affiliated teams. Now, I don't think there are enough data points yet to determine a strategic direction but with some research, a recommendation can be made. Anyone from the collective schools looking for a consulting firm to do some research, PM me. I'll have an LLC setup and a team in place in no time flat for the right fee :geek::twisted:8-)

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
That could start eroding if the disconnect between the student and the athlete continues.
I'm not contributing to a minor league sports program just because they are loosly affiliated with the school.
Most fans aren’t graduates of these P4/5 schools. It’s more of a regional affiliation. Some call them Walmart fans. Being a fan is passed down through the family.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Most fans aren’t graduates of these P4/5 schools. It’s more of a regional affiliation. Some call them Walmart fans. Being a fan is passed down through the family.
Good point...no way has Alabama graduated that many fans

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Even if they didn't do that, spinning off from the NCAA would mean they're no longer required to sponsor a minimum number of sports. They could eliminate all of their non-revenue generating sports and so long as they offered an equal number of women's sports, they would still be Title IX compliant. Doing so would allow the P4* schools to redirect a lot of additional funding toward their revenue-generating sports (i.e. football, basketball, and likely baseball), as well.
Title IX pertains to spending.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
If they restructured their athletic departments to not be a part of the schools, then they could operate like any other company and wouldn’t have to follow Title IX. Of course, that would then require them to pay salaries and provide benefits.
Sure, restructure the entire business model and establish a new professional league, Title IX becomes a non factor. That said, so does tax exempt status and I suspect the existing professional leagues would have some concerns.

Reactions: mrgeode

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
Sure, restructure the entire business model and establish a new professional league, Title IX becomes a non factor. That said, so does tax exempt status and I suspect the existing professional leagues would have some concerns.
The NFL wouldn’t care. College football is their minor leagues that they don’t have to pay for currently. A for-pay college football system would be no different.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
The NFL wouldn’t care. College football is their minor leagues that they don’t have to pay for currently. A for-pay college football system would be no different.
What is described is another professional league, Monopolies love subsidized labor, but loathe competitors of any size.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
What is described is another professional league, Monopolies love subsidized labor, but loathe competitors of any size.
It’s a professional league that would be a minor league. It would still be loosely affiliated with the school. Most likely, the players would still go to that school and would only be eligible for 5 years. The NFL would still have it’s rule that a person can’t enter the draft until they’re 3 years out of high school. Nothing would change for them other than their new players showing up in better financial situations.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015

This sort of shi.t is only going to break up the ncaa faster imo
Actually, this would empower the NCAA since it tasks the governance body of student sports to be more diligent towards promoting equity, while the P4 really only care about one sport.

Personally, I feel like these reports are extremely short sighted. First, it essentially argues that women's basketball should be treated better than other female sports as women's basketball ought to be put on the same pedestal as men's basketball. But why should women's basketball be given more import than any other women's sport? Should women's basketball teams receive better accommodations than womens volleyball? Second, it explicitly concludes that the women's tournament is more valuable than the contract garnered. They state that because it was grouped with other sports the contract was lower. That makes no sense. If it was worth more, then companies would have bidded more for the total package (they would receive women's basketball + all these other sports as an add on kicker). They also alleged that the NCAA doesn't promote the women's tournent enough, but the NCAA is also one of the smallest voices out there promoting the men's tournament.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
RamNation is a community developed by fans of VCU basketball. We are an independent publication that is in no way affiliated with or sponsored by Virginia Commonwealth University. The opinions of the authors on this site are independent and in no way reflect the opinions of VCU administrators, coaches, staff, or athletes.

Online Statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rayliotist