For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

BradRamFan

Elite Member
and look at all the conference championships and NCAA appearances he's brought them.

Oh wait
I'm not saying that Penny is a good or bad coach. I am saying he is a "named" coach and probably did not come cheap for the university......and he had ties to the the HS/prep/AAU program or whatever is was to pull in highly rated recruits. It's not like Memphis ran out and got Dean Keener or Tony Shaver to coach their team.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
and look at all the conference championships and NCAA appearances he's brought them.

Oh wait

You're selling memphis and penny short. He's 63 - 32 with 2 straight post seasons appearances with an NIT championship Championship. They took Houston, a FF participant to the wire twice.

That win over Memphis was THE signature win that put us in the post season.

They have most of their team returning this season, upgreaded their coaching staff with Larry Brown and Rasheed Wallace and have the #1 recruiting class in the countty with John Duren, Emoni Bates and transfer Earl Timberlake!

The end result is they are now ranked #7 in the nation in the preason polls.

Memphis just became a championship contender in my book, especially since Larry Brown is going to be the game tachtician

I hope we at least tried to put them on the OOC. It would have been a gem.because VCU is going to be a sweet 16 participant this year.

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
You're selling memphis and penny short. He's 63 - 32 with 2 straight post seasons appearances with an NIT championship Championship. They took Houston, a FF participant to the wire twice.

They have most of their team returning this season, upgreaded their coaching staff with Larry Brown and Rasheed Wallace and have the #1 recruiting class in the countty with John Duren, Emoni Bates and transfer Earl Timberlake!

Memphis just became a championship contender in my book, especially since Larry Brown is going to be the game tachtician

I hope we at least tried to put them on the OOC. It would have been a gem.because VCU is going to be a sweet 16 participant this year.
Larry Brown = Probation

rvaram

Elite Member
Assuming those 4 go to the big 12, I think they keep their power conference status. I mean tx hasn't done anything of note in years in football or basketball.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I think it’s pretty borderline that they keep their power conference status. They will at least until the current playoff deal is done in 4 years, but when it’s renegotiated it will really be up to the other 4 power conferences to decide if they want the new Big 12 to get the same deal they all get.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
I think it’s pretty borderline that they keep their power conference status. They will at least until the current playoff deal is done in 4 years, but when it’s renegotiated it will really be up to the other 4 power conferences to decide if they want the new Big 12 to get the same deal they all get.
And that's assuming the rest of the Big 12 wanna stick together. you think Kansas, Baylor, Texas Tech, West VA & OK State aren't gonna keep their options open and explore possible moves to another conference? I think they will. Cause unless Houston, BYU, UCF & Cincy come in and hit the ground running & compete with the Big Dogs in the Big 12.... I could very easily see all of them possibly bouncing if other options open up.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
And that's assuming the rest of the Big 12 wanna stick together. you think Kansas, Baylor, Texas Tech, West VA & OK State aren't gonna keep their options open and explore possible moves to another conference? I think they will. Cause unless Houston, BYU, UCF & Cincy come in and hit the ground running & compete with the Big Dogs in the Big 12.... I could very easily see all of them possibly bouncing if other options open up.
The good thing for the Big 12 as a whole is that there aren’t many spots left in the other power conferences and those conferences don’t seem to be in any hurry to expand.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member

I think you are under selling those 4 teams. Cincinnati is a top 10 team in football right now. UCF and Houston have so much potential, especially joining a higher rated conference - and those two markets are huge media markets. And BYU is a national name brand.

Regarding basketball, Houston will make the Big 12 better.

The new Big 12 will be fine. The only other expansion I see on the horizon (at some point) is Notre Dame joining the ACC in football. It just a matter of time before that happens.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
I think you are under selling those 4 teams. Cincinnati is a top 10 team in football right now. UCF and Houston have so much potential, especially joining a higher rated conference - and those two markets are huge media markets. And BYU is a national name brand.

Regarding basketball, Houston will make the Big 12 better.

The new Big 12 will be fine. The only other expansion I see on the horizon (at some point) is Notre Dame joining the ACC in football. It just a matter of time before that happens.
I was gonna say, Houston and Cincy are good in multiple sports, especially football and basketball, and they should have been in a power conference already. They’d make great additions to the new Big 12.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider

If you have a big enough jet engine, you can get a doghouse to fly; it doesn't make it a good airplane. Penny has been able to recruit at a very high level because of his aura. He can't coach. Period. With a roster that would not be out of place at a blueblood he has ZERO NCAA appearances and has one his $H!tty conference zero times.

He'll be in the NBA sooner than later. 4 years at Memphis is already a longer run than than I expected

LLLeopold

Elite Member
If you have a big enough jet engine, you can get a doghouse to fly; it doesn't make it a good airplane. Penny has been able to recruit at a very high level because of his aura. He can't coach. Period. With a roster that would not be out of place at a blueblood he has ZERO NCAA appearances and has one his $H!tty conference zero times.

He'll be in the NBA sooner than later. 4 years at Memphis is already a longer run than than I expected
22F5B90D-4197-45CB-A4CE-E4CC320406D9.png

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider
seriously, dude had two bonafide first round picks on one roster and they barely finished about .500 in conference that year

BradRamFan

Elite Member
It is really telling how much basketball is completely devalued in this entire process when Kansas is left out of any expansion moves. When I think of basketball powerhouses, my top 3 are Ky, Duke and Kansas (regardless of their demise in multiple seasons at the hands of mid majors in the big dance).
Perhaps it's because I am come from a basketball only school but I have never seen the allure of college football. I have little to no interest

VCURAMIT

Elite Member
It is really telling how much basketball is completely devalued in this entire process when Kansas is left out of any expansion moves. When I think of basketball powerhouses, my top 3 are Ky, Duke and Kansas (regardless of their demise in multiple seasons at the hands of mid majors in the big dance).
Perhaps it's because I am come from a basketball only school but I have never seen the allure of college football. I have little to no interest

I'd probably be more interested if the sport wasn't essentially rigged in favor of a few different programs winning the championship every year. When is the last time there was a new champion in football? Colorado when I was a baby? I can't think of any other sport on the planet where a team could go undefeated and then be denied a shot at the championship the way UCF was. That and the aura of greed around the entire thing are big turn-offs for me. Don't consider me shocked that starting a program hasn't worked out well for ODU.