For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

First, I don’t think Fox will do that.

But if they do, schools like Richmond and Davidson might fit their model better than VCU.
Ok I’m in the group that thinks it’s gonna be a bit before we get a BE invite if it happens unless something major conference wise happens before then that causes major shifts everywhere. BUT did you actually say UR and Davidson were a better fit than us? Bruh…..

Havoc City

Elite Member
I think that would void the AAC contact with ESPN. It would make a lot of sense for WSU and Temple to move the A10. Maybe Memphis. It would make sense to have a football only league for these leftover football programs.

Could dump some of the filler and have a really strong Bball league.
Yeah, well, that's not how it works. There's not going to be a "football only league for these leftover football programs," and thus, there is a 0% chance that Temple or Memphis would ever think of moving to the A10.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Send Fordham packing to the Patriot League, add these three and have a 16-team league like we had in 2012-13.
Why Fordham and not LaSalle? Fordham is more relevant across the athletics board than LaSalle….and while I acknowledge hoops is the Crown Jewels of sports in the A10, LaSalle hasn’t been much better than Fordham lately. Fordham has deep pockets and NYC, that puts them well ahead of LaSalle in my book.

BigE

Elite Member
E-7hYFoXIAAIogh

Yeah, well, that's not how it works. There's not going to be a "football only league for these leftover football programs," and thus, there is a 0% chance that Temple or Memphis would ever think of moving to the A10.
“It” doesn’t work any particular way other than the most profitable scenario moving forward. The way it works right now is world away from the way it worked 10-20 years ago. Or last year for that matter. The players are now officially basically professionals and the old cable tv format that drove the conference deals is dying. The old bowl system is dying.

like I said, the AACs TV deal gets voided in this scenario. Who will the AAC add that ESPN will pay enough money to justify continuing a national conference? ODU? If this happens that league is over. Flying non revenue sports around county to operate a garbage football conference with a bottom dollar TV deal doesn’t seem like the way to go, particularly when they are basically excluded from the club. Everyone could have other sports in a sustainable conference and park football in a football only until the day when these schools give up. Temple, UConn, Umass, ODU, Memphis ECU, whomever etc etc.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Ok I’m in the group that thinks it’s gonna be a bit before we get a BE invite if it happens unless something major conference wise happens before then that causes major shifts everywhere. BUT did you actually say UR and Davidson were a better fit than us? Bruh…..
From a cultural and academic standpoint, they are more similar to many Big East schools than we are.

Ululating Daddy

Elite Member
“It” doesn’t work any particular way other than the most profitable scenario moving forward. The way it works right now is world away from the way it worked 10-20 years ago. Or last year for that matter. The players are now officially basically professionals and the old cable tv format that drove the conference deals is dying. The old bowl system is dying.

like I said, the AACs TV deal gets voided in this scenario. Who will the AAC add that ESPN will pay enough money to justify continuing a national conference? ODU? If this happens that league is over. Flying non revenue sports around county to operate a garbage football conference with a bottom dollar TV deal doesn’t seem like the way to go, particularly when they are basically excluded from the club. Everyone could have other sports in a sustainable conference and park football in a football only until the day when these schools give up. Temple, UConn, Umass, ODU, Memphis ECU, whomever etc etc
So the four schools moving to the B12 have pulled off the strategy nearly all the AAC was trying to make work (other than WSU and Navy). They got that P5 invitation. The question remaining for the rest is whether it can still work over the next few years. Or is it time to pivot, de-emphasize football, and make basketball the collegiate sports "face" of your university. You know, like UConn did.

Temple, Memphis, and maybe Tulsa have enough residual basketball brand value left that they could pull off that kind of a pivot. But do they leave? Or do they band together with WSU, and push the AAC to emphasize basketball while still sponsoring football? I don't think that worked so well for the A10 back in the early 2000's. And you know ECU, USF, and SMU have no interest in that scenario.

So the next shoe to drop will be seeing who the AAC invites to replace those four schools. Are they football moves or basketball moves? Somebody call Ed McLaughlin and ask, 'cause I bet he's burning down the phone lines trying to get that answer before anyone else does.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
So the four schools moving to the B12 have pulled off the strategy nearly all the AAC was trying to make work (other than WSU and Navy). They got that P5 invitation. The question remaining for the rest is whether it can still work over the next few years. Or is it time to pivot, de-emphasize football, and make basketball the collegiate sports "face" of your university. You know, like UConn did.

Temple, Memphis, and maybe Tulsa have enough residual basketball brand value left that they could pull off that kind of a pivot. But do they leave? Or do they band together with WSU, and push the AAC to emphasize basketball while still sponsoring football? I don't think that worked so well for the A10 back in the early 2000's. And you know ECU, USF, and SMU have no interest in that scenario.

So the next shoe to drop will be seeing who the AAC invites to replace those four schools. Are they football moves or basketball moves? Somebody call Ed McLaughlin and ask, 'cause I bet he's burning down the phone lines trying to get that answer before anyone else does.
I don't think we're getting an AAC invite. Football still brings in the most money in that conference and they will be looking for up and coming football programs - Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Appalachian State, Boise State, etc.

Ululating Daddy

Elite Member
I don't think we're getting an AAC invite. Football still brings in the most money in that conference and they will be looking for up and coming football programs - Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Appalachian State, Boise State, etc.
I think you're right, that's the most likely scenario. That keeps the AAC as strong a football conference as possible. But that group is clearly not UCF, Houston, and Cinncinnati, and the AAC clearly takes a step down in terms of football conference strength. I think half the D1 AD's in the country are trying to figure out what direction this whole thing will go, and making plans A through H. Including Ed.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
His numbers do include UConn in the BE. They’re based on what the conference makeups were just prior to the OU/TX move.

A 13.72 to 13.93 change for the BE doesn’t suggest that VCU would move the needle much for them on a competitive standpoint.

If you duplicate Creighton (the second best big east team in that time period) and added to them to the big east, the conference average kenpom would only increase to 13.99.

Averages are rough. Only extreme outliers will move a conference with 11 members much, eg the top 10 teams across all college basketball the last 7 years. It gets easier when you either replace or add more good teams. For example, VCU and WSU combined would move the Big East to 14.33, almost tied with the ACC (and if you used VCU dropping 2018, it jumps to 14.484, which moves the Big East ahead of the ACC as the 3rd best conference). I think if the context is by adding VCU and WSU, the Big East is on par or better than the ACC, that sounds like an improvement.

Ululating Daddy

Elite Member
Here's a potential A10 ripple effect: There is one A10 team sponsoring FBS football, as an independent: UMass. Surely the AAC is attractive to them (put aside whether UMass is attractive to the AAC). If they move to the AAC, should the A10 replace them? If so, who should it be?

Personally, before replacing an upper-half team that leaves, I'd try to balance it with a little addition by subtraction at the bottom, first. No one is getting "kicked out," but helping someone land in a conference more in keeping with their aspirations might be possible during the upcoming game of musical chairs.