For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

Havoc City

Elite Member
If the AAC were to take Coastal I could see JMU In the Sun Belt. NDSU would probably go to the MAC.
Mountain West needs to get aggressive. They should be trying to poach Wichita State and SMU from the AAC, and they should also do whatever it takes to get Gonzaga. Back-up plan would be NDSU and UTEP.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Coastal might be a hot name now, but Charlotte is probably a better longterm addition. Neither one has the necessary facilities. Coastal’s stadium is only 20,000 seats and Charlotte’s is less than 16,000, though they could possibly make an arrangement to play at the Panther’s stadium until they can make massive upgrades.

Lack of facilities are going to be a really big issue for a lot of these programs that want to make the step up to the AAC.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
I say we invite Memphis and Wichita. Memphis would have to find a place for it's football team but a move to the A10 would benefit their basketball team as far as conference teams compared to a diminished AAC.
And maybe the A10 would get lucky and Fordham and LaSalle or Umass wouldn't like the added flight costs for games half way across the country and look for greener pastures. Plus, it might give St. Louis impetus to stick around with some regional rivals in Wichita and Memphis.
But I wonder if the A10 made such a gesture, would the BE begin to consider it's place on the ladder and look to add to it's flock with a Dayton and/or St. Louis.
The A10 with Memphis, Wichita, Dayton, St. Louis, VCU, Davidson, URI and the Bonnies (how does a program in the middle of nowhere do so well?) would make for a very competitive conference.....even with Fordam, LaSalle, Umass and Dusq(however you spell it). If GMU and/or UR take a step up, that would be even better.
Personally, I would rather a Memphis and Wichita over a Temple

I say we invite Memphis and Wichita. Memphis would have to find a place for it's football team but a move to the A10 would benefit their basketball team as far as conference teams compared to a diminished AAC.
And maybe the A10 would get lucky and Fordham and LaSalle or Umass wouldn't like the added flight costs for games half way across the country and look for greener pastures. Plus, it might give St. Louis impetus to stick around with some regional rivals in Wichita and Memphis.
But I wonder if the A10 made such a gesture, would the BE begin to consider it's place on the ladder and look to add to it's flock with a Dayton and/or St. Louis.
The A10 with Memphis, Wichita, Dayton, St. Louis, VCU, Davidson, URI and the Bonnies (how does a program in the middle of nowhere do so well?) would make for a very competitive conference.....even with Fordam, LaSalle, Umass and Dusq(however you spell it). If GMU and/or UR take a step up, that would be even better.
Personally, I would rather a Memphis and Wichita over a Temple
My guess is Memphis may go to the Big 12 as there are rumors that there will be a second round of invitations. Also included in round 2 is Boise State. Am not sure if these rumors are credible, but it is floating around. Am not sure if Temple or WSU will get an invite.

We'll see what happens.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I do feel bad for them a little since Jalen DeLoach's big brother plays on the team.
I see that. FSU opened up and looked good against Notre Dame. Week 2 gives us more insight though. Notre Dame struggled against Toledo at home yesterday and a team that got smashed by UAB in week 1 throws a bomb to wide open receiver with no time on the clock when FSU should have been playing their DBs deep. Instead they played normal one on one coverage instead of protection against a Hail Mary. Crazy.

Mountain West needs to get aggressive. They should be trying to poach Wichita State and SMU from the AAC, and they should also do whatever it takes to get Gonzaga. Back-up plan would be NDSU and UTEP.
Why? The Mt West seems very stable. Logical candidates for B12 additions but apparently not much interest from either end. AAC will need members, but again, doubtful there is mutual interest. Mt West and it’s membership seems content. Entertaining sports, great attendance, like institutions in a logical footprint.

It is what holds them back but someone would need to take a flier on them.
JMU has flirted with the idea for 30 years and has had the opportunity to move “up”. Never pulled the trigger.

On the field it seems like there is more parity then before. But from a business perspective, lesser programs and conferences seem increasingly shut out. Why now and what would be the draw to do it? Costs increase. What kind of deal is available that increases revenue to a point to justify it?

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
JMU has flirted with the idea for 30 years and has had the opportunity to move “up”. Never pulled the trigger.

On the field it seems like there is more parity then before. But from a business perspective, lesser programs and conferences seem increasingly shut out. Why now and what would be the draw to do it? Costs increase. What kind of deal is available that increases revenue to a point to justify it?
I grew up as friends with their former AD Dean Ehlers and he never really flirted with moving football to D-I because of the cost. Bourne seems to be flirting with it but he also seems to think someone is going to drop a great offer on his lap instead of being proactive. They will move up eventually. It just seems like it is inevitable for their program. Not sure how much money they have in their coffers with the new basketball arena just being completed.

Ramdog

Elite Member
If you are not P5 you will never get into playoffs...always be second class citizen
JMU should stay where they are and play for championships in front of a large appreciative fanbase.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
If you are not P5 you will never get into playoffs...always be second class citizen
JMU should stay where they are and play for championships in front of a large appreciative fanbase.
Yeah, I tend to agree. Not much chance to get into the playoff. Even good teams like Cincinnati have to run the table and they might not get in. Their move to the Big12 might help but it just seems like a futile effort for most programs.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
In the current setup, that’s correct.

If and when the playoff goes to 8 or 12 teams, there’s going to be spot reserved for the highest ranked G5 school. At 12 teams there’s a decent chance that two G5 teams will get in occasionally.

But the biggest reasons to move up in classification is better money and better recruiting.