For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

If JMU were to receive an invite to the CUSA or Sun Belt, that would be VERY hard to pass up. A winning season qualifies them for a bowl game which means $$$.

I’m not naive to know that this is exactly what ODU did, but they clearly weren’t ready. JMU has had a good football program for a long time. I can only imagine that their athletic department would handle this better.
Appalachian State is kind of a mirror image of JMU athletically and academically. They were really successful in 1AA for along time and moved up to D-1 and have done fine. But really, Is winning the sunbelt any more significant than winning the CAA or any more profitable? The better teams in both leagues are probably about the same. I read the sunbelt media deal pays about 500,000. That’s not a lot of money. The A10 teams get almost that without football. App State cut several sports last year while dealing with 20 percent budget cuts. JMU has a big Olympic sports budget, spending big on basketball arena and hasn’t had to cut anything. Moving to the sunbelt probably doesn't increase revenue very much. It adds more costs. It doesn't really increase notoriety. Nobody cares about sunbelt football.

Programs that move up even with some reasonable success really never any real relevance in the grand scheme of college football. If they do they don’t sustain it. Many schools have budget issues trying stay afloat with football, some have some pretty established athletic departments. Seems foolish. The haves are the haves and they aren’t letting you in the club. I bet in the coming years you see some sliding back to FCS.

All these schools that moved up in the same general era remind me of a gold rush. A lot of big dreams and nothing materializes for 99 percent. The only people who made out were the ones selling lumber, booze, and whor#s.

Because if the Big 12 expands again, or if the Pac 12 decides to expand, Boise State and San Diego State will be prime candidates. Also, if Gonzaga is ever going to leave the WCC, the time is now. You say the Mountain West has been stable; I see it as stagnant. I'd hate for it to become the WAC 2.0.
Boise State missed the boat, they are kind of over. And why would the PAC add teams that don't add much value to a media deal, its just more mouths to feed from the same pile. Adding a San Diego St really isn't the same thing as the SEC or BIG10 recently adding flagship state institutions, or the PAC adding Utah and Colorado. Those are are no brainer moves.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Appalachian State is kind of a mirror image of JMU athletically and academically. They were really successful in 1AA for along time and moved up to D-1 and have done fine. But really, Is winning the sunbelt any more significant than winning the CAA or any more profitable? The better teams in both leagues are probably about the same. I read the sunbelt media deal pays about 500,000. That’s not a lot of money. The A10 teams get almost that without football. App State cut several sports last year while dealing with 20 percent budget cuts. JMU has a big Olympic sports budget, spending big on basketball arena and hasn’t had to cut anything. Moving to the sunbelt probably doesn't increase revenue very much. It adds more costs. It doesn't really increase notoriety. Nobody cares about sunbelt football.

Programs that move up even with some reasonable success really never any real relevance in the grand scheme of college football. If they do they don’t sustain it. Many schools have budget issues trying stay afloat with football, some have some pretty established athletic departments. Seems foolish. The haves are the haves and they aren’t letting you in the club. I bet in the coming years you see some sliding back to FCS.

All these schools that moved up in the same general era remind me of a gold rush. A lot of big dreams and nothing materializes for 99 percent. The only people who made out were the ones selling lumber, booze, and whor#s.
And jeans

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Right, double stitched.

You could take a uhaul to ODU games filled with cigarettes, mountain dew, Funyuns, pregnancy tests, and underwear and clean up.
I know what you meant, but cleaning up Ol' Dirty sounds like a tall order. Like Superfund style.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
This is an incorrect statement. We had a quality sniff in 2012 vs Indiana but we lost our ability to put the ball in the hoop in the final 10 minutes and we blew it against the Hoosiers. We also had a good sniff vs Oklahoma in 2016 thanks to Mike Gilmore playing his only career game like the top 100 recruit that he was, but Buddy Hield and Co came up clutch in their “neutral” site game.

We may not have gotten the full whiff of the second weekend, but that don’t mean we haven’t gotten our sniffs in.

If you don't make it to the second weekend, then you are sniffing anything. Pretty sure you know exactly what my point was.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
If you don't make it to the second weekend, then you are sniffing anything. Pretty sure you know exactly what my point was.
I don't have the worlds best hearing and I sometimes talk to fast, but I have a great sense of smell. I can sniff with the best of them. We've sniffed the second weekend twice since the F4 run, we just haven't had the whole whiff that we preciously aspire.

One time when I went to a party, when it got late, they brought out brake fluid and started sniffing and huffing it. I didn't participate and told them they were a bunch of addicts. They assured me that they could stop anytime.