For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
The AAC is dead to us.....hopefully.
I agree. As someone who thought the AAC could benefit us better, that ship has sailed. Today, only two options exist in my mind.
  • Big East invite ( chances are probably just slightly higher than 50/50 on that happening
  • A10 grabbing 3 or more marquee schools who realize they will never be a powerhouse in football ( chances are probably 40/60 as it requires a lot of moving parts including several current A10 schools finding new homes)
I do think a third scenario is more likely but I don’t think it moves the needle. I fully anticipate the A10 adding 1 or mor schools in the next 3 to 5 years

VCU Heel

Elite Member
A question for those in the know --

Did VCU have the opportunity in last 10 years to bolt to a better conference? Were any overtures made and rejected?

Looking forward what is the best option for VCU to move up in conference? I know many disagree but I think the A10 is holding VCU back. Even if it was something as small as the rankings. Every year we have to claw our way into Top 25. I believe if we had the exact same squads but played in the AAC we'd be ranked every year most of the year. Makes recruiting, tv deals, and getting into the dance all easier imo...
We have to claw our way every year because we don’t perform particularly well in big games. We struggle in the important early season tournaments. We don’t win enough games against P5 competition. We haven’t earned the benefit of the doubt.

There are no better conference options than the A10 outside of the Big East… and they aren’t inviting us. Until they do, then this is the best we’re going to get. We need to improve our facilities and win a lot and hope things evolve in a way that would make them look in our direction.

Last edited:

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I agree. As someone who thought the AAC could benefit us better, that ship has sailed. Today, only two options exist in my mind.
  • Big East invite ( chances are probably just slightly higher than 50/50 on that happening
  • A10 grabbing 3 or more marquee schools who realize they will never be a powerhouse in football ( chances are probably 40/60 as it requires a lot of moving parts including several current A10 schools finding new homes)
I do think a third scenario is more likely but I don’t think it moves the needle. I fully anticipate the A10 adding 1 or mor schools in the next 3 to 5 years
Slightly higher than 50/50???

I’d put the chances of a Big East invite at much less than 5% in the next 10 years.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
Slightly higher than 50/50???

I’d put the chances of a Big East invite at much less than 5% in the next 10 years.
valid take but here is my rationale. I think conferences are going to get bigger, like 16 to 18 team conferences. And some will dissolve. (MEAC and OVC come to mind) OOC games against top tier schools will become fewer so again conferences will have to grow to better control their own destiny. Today the BE is an 11 team conf. Name 5 viable schools that doesn’t include VCU that gets them to 16?

VCU Heel

Elite Member
valid take but here is my rationale. I think conferences are going to get bigger, like 16 to 18 team conferences. And some will dissolve. (MEAC and OVC come to mind) OOC games against top tier schools will become fewer so again conferences will have to grow to better control their own destiny. Today the BE is an 11 team conf. Name 5 viable schools that doesn’t include VCU that gets them to 16?
The Big East doesn’t have the same pressures to expand as other conferences because it doesn’t have football. The reasons why P5 conferences may expand don’t apply to the BE. It’s a mistake to pretend there is any connection. I don’t expect the BE to add any teams. If they do, it will be 1-2 teams like SLU and or Dayton.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
The Big East doesn’t have the same pressures to expand as other conferences because it doesn’t have football. The reasons why P5 conferences may expand don’t apply to the BE. It’s a mistake to pretend there is any connection. I don’t expect the BE to add any teams. If they do, it will be 1-2 teams like SLU and or Dayton.
Why do you think football leagues have a pressure to expand but the Big East doesn't? It's not clear from your post what the distinction is.

Also, the post you quoted speculated that P5 conferences may expand conference seasons. If true, why do you think the Big East wouldn't want to go to a 24 take schedule if the P5s do?

Finally, SLU could be ahead of us, especially if the conference wants a Midwest addition, but if it's just about $$s how are you justifying SLU over VCU. Dayton isn't happening before VCU because of X.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Why do you think football leagues have a pressure to expand but the Big East doesn't? It's not clear from your post what the distinction is.

Also, the post you quoted speculated that P5 conferences may expand conference seasons. If true, why do you think the Big East wouldn't want to go to a 24 take schedule if the P5s do?

Finally, SLU could be ahead of us, especially if the conference wants a Midwest addition, but if it's just about $$s how are you justifying SLU over VCU. Dayton isn't happening before VCU because of X.
I’m busy watching college football and don’t have time to get into this, but the same factors against Dayton because of X apply to VCU because of Georgetown. They do not want regional completion either.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I’m busy watching college football and don’t have time to get into this, but the same factors against Dayton because of X apply to VCU because of Georgetown. They do not want regional completion either.
I am watching football too. No Clemson in the playoff this year.

community-ken-jeong.gif

Oh and I went on ODU’s message board last week to see if the were talking about their new basketball commitment. Instead they were talking about how they can beat Buffalo. Well, it is Buffalo leading 35-7 before halftime :lol::lol:

VCU Heel

Elite Member

community-ken-jeong.gif

Oh and I went on ODU’s message board last week to see if the were talking about their new basketball commitment. Instead they were talking about how they can beat Buffalo. Well, it is Buffalo leading 35-7 before halftime :lol::lol:
Ohio State isn’t going to be in that playoff either.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider

I think Violet puts a finger on the reason the Be may want, or need, to grow. It is going to get increasingly difficult for BE teams to fill out their schedules with quality OOC/P5 games. It makes sense, then, to grow the conference schedule with quality games, and as pointed out above, the options available for them to do that, esp w/non-football programs are extremely limited.

RamDanFan

Elite Member
Having more teams in your conference should equate to more teams in the big dance. Does the Big East really want to see themselves no better than 5th place every year when CBS shows the invitation by conference breakdown at the end of the Selection Sunday show?

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
They aren't the same factors. Regional competition plays a roll but there's a lot more than that at play with Dayton/X

Havoc City

Elite Member

community-ken-jeong.gif

Good. I hope fodu loses every game from now to the end of time by 40 points or more. Perhaps then the existentialist angst described by Sartre and others will seep into the very being of each and every fodu fan, causing them to question each and every decision in their lives that led them to root for such a program.