For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Good. I hope fodu loses every game from now to the end of time by 40 points or more. Perhaps then the existentialist angst described by Sartre and others will seep into the very being of each and every fodu fan, causing them to question each and every decision in their lives that led them to root for such a program.
You are crediting them with entirely too much capacity for introspection

Violet Ram

Elite Member
They aren't the same factors. Regional competition plays a roll but there's a lot more than that at play with Dayton/X
Also, just the distance isn't equal. VCU and Georgetown are over 2x father apart than Dayton and Xavier.

@VCU Heel I'm still curious about why you think only football conferences need to expand.

Last edited:

Mercury

Elite Member
Also, just the distance isn't equal. VCU and Georgetown are over 2x father apart than Dayton and Xavier.

@VCU Heel I'm still curious about why you think only football conferences need to expand.

Not Heel but in the current NCAAB landscape I don't see any reason for the BE to expand. The BE has no flight risks and no worry of their top expansion candidates going to any other conference. Based on the current landscape, why do you think the BE needs to expand?

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
I agree. As someone who thought the AAC could benefit us better, that ship has sailed. Today, only two options exist in my mind.
  • Big East invite ( chances are probably just slightly higher than 50/50 on that happening
  • A10 grabbing 3 or more marquee schools who realize they will never be a powerhouse in football ( chances are probably 40/60 as it requires a lot of moving parts including several current A10 schools finding new homes)
I do think a third scenario is more likely but I don’t think it moves the needle. I fully anticipate the A10 adding 1 or mor schools in the next 3 to 5 years

I think there's a great strategy to attack both of those options sorta. The problem right now is everyone in the A-10 just wants to be in the Big East. I'm sure A-10 brass knows that. But instead of being reactive, I'd love to see the A-10 be more proactive and actively try and figure out how to make our conference somewhat more on par with the Big East or at least AIMING to leapfrog them. Now that's obviously gonna be hard to do, but I think the answer is to stop trying to do what the Big East is doing, basically being the JV version of the Big East (14 or less-team conference that's mostly East Coast), and think big. I still think a two-division (East & West) conference that's a combo of the current A-10 (minus La Salle, Fordham and UMass...who can go join the AAC for football) and some legit schools who'd like be down to join (Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Wichita State, Loyola Marymount, etc)...would make for a VERY interesting 20-team league. I wrote about how you do that for travel and olympic sports forever ago on A10Talk, so feel free to google that, but I just hope if the A-10 isn't thinking about this type of thing that VCU is thinking of an exit strategy. You've got the SEC at the top of the game still trying to improve and making it happen by adding Texas and Oklahoma, so I just wanna see the A-10 attempting what they can on that front instead of just waiting to see what top program leaves so they can add someone else from the CAA or MVC. I love this conference, but I wanna see more on that front or I pray the Big East is now open to us after they broke the public/private debate by adding UConn, cause I'll want us in a more aggressive conference who is actually attempting to improve.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
Not Heel but in the current NCAAB landscape I don't see any reason for the BE to expand. The BE has no flight risks and no worry of their top expansion candidates going to any other conference. Based on the current landscape, why do you think the BE needs to expand?
The same reason CFB conference are expanding. The money. It's not about losing BE members or having other top non-P5 programs finding better homes (at least currently), but it's about maximizing the next media contract and per-team NCAA units.

Now, you'll have people like Heel tell you that VCU doesn't add value to justify their admittance to the Big East. I've yet to hear someone with that perspective explain how they came to their valuation besides pointing to the A10' current TV deal. If the P5s do go to 23 or more conference games, then the Big East will be in the precarious position of needing to add 1 more team to preserve the round robin format to expand the conference slate or play fewer conference games than the P5s.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
I think there's a great strategy to attack both of those options sorta. The problem right now is everyone in the A-10 just wants to be in the Big East. I'm sure A-10 brass knows that. But instead of being reactive, I'd love to see the A-10 be more proactive and actively try and figure out how to make our conference somewhat more on par with the Big East or at least AIMING to leapfrog them. Now that's obviously gonna be hard to do, but I think the answer is to stop trying to do what the Big East is doing, basically being the JV version of the Big East (14 or less-team conference that's mostly East Coast), and think big. I still think a two-division (East & West) conference that's a combo of the current A-10 (minus La Salle, Fordham and UMass...who can go join the AAC for football) and some legit schools who'd like be down to join (Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Wichita State, Loyola Marymount, etc)...would make for a VERY interesting 20-team league. I wrote about how you do that for travel and olympic sports forever ago on A10Talk, so feel free to google that, but I just hope if the A-10 isn't thinking about this type of thing that VCU is thinking of an exit strategy. You've got the SEC at the top of the game still trying to improve and making it happen by adding Texas and Oklahoma, so I just wanna see the A-10 attempting what they can on that front instead of just waiting to see what top program leaves so they can add someone else from the CAA or MVC. I love this conference, but I wanna see more on that front or I pray the Big East is now open to us after they broke the public/private debate by adding UConn, cause I'll want us in a more aggressive conference who is actually attempting to improve.
Just subtracting Fordham, La Salle, UMass and George Mason/GW would do wonders for moving the A10 towards parity with the Big East. Yes, the top of the Big East is ahead of the top of the A10 most years, but the real problem are the anchors in the A10 that sap NET/Kenom from top teams via the occasional close game or upset.

Also, I don't see any west teams joining the A10 without basketball decoupling from the rest of Olympics. First, if distance/cost weren't problem, why wouldn't they just join the Big East that's more prestigious and closer (lower travel costs and less games starting at 4pm pacific coast time)?

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
............why do you think the BE needs to expand?
Scheduling. As the Top Conferences go to 20 game schedules there is no incentive to play conference ranked say 5-9. Without conferences 5-9 for which the BE is included, just like the A10, getting multiple games against the top 4 conferences they will be left with two options. Accept their conferences will likely only have two teams in the dance and lose revenue(March and General Media) or bolster the profile of their conference. As @Natty mentioned above the A10 could abandon its current geographic footprint and create a competitive conference

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
The SEC just got two really really good historic basketball teams in Smart's former team and Capel's former team. #LETSGETPROACTIVE.

BracketForecast

Elite Member
To create something that works, you have to start by linking up the "mid-major" schools that have financially committed to basketball being their front porch program:

Gonzaga
St. Mary's
Wichita St.
Saint Louis
Dayton
VCU
Belmont
Loyola-Chicago

If geography and travel cost were of no concern, this would be the start of a blockbuster conference close in stature to the Big East. So how do you work backward and create something that makes the logistics feasible? By adding enough like-minded institutions (at least when it comes to athletics) to create 3 or 4 pods. Something like:

West:
Gonzaga
San Francisco
St. Mary's
Grand Canyon
New Mexico St. *(maybe you go with Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount, or San Diego instead of NM St).

Midwest:
Wichita St.
Saint Louis
Loyola-Chicago
Murray St.
Belmont

East:
VCU
St. Bonaventure
Davidson
Richmond
Dayton

Just looking at last year, you'd have 5 top 50 teams and 10 top 100 teams in this setup.

A 20 game conference schedule would look something like this:

H/H with the other four teams in your pod: 8
H/H with one team in the other two pods: 4
Home games against four of the remaining eight in the other two pods: 4
Road games against four of the remaining eight in the other two pods: 4

The cross country travel could largely be limited to the late December-early mid January schedule in basketball, and largely eliminated in non-revenue sports save for maybe one long weekend a year and conference tournaments. For VCU, a conference schedule could go something like this:

Home:
Bona
Davidson
Richmond
Dayton
St. Mary's
Wichita St.
Gonzaga/Grand Canyon (combined Thurs/Sun in early January)
Saint Louis
Murray St.

Road:
Bona
Davidson
Richmond
Dayton
St. Mary's
Wichita St.
San Francisco/New Mexico St. (combined Thurs/Sun in early January)
Loyola-Chicago
Belmont

I think you could command pretty strong TV money with this group, and I think it'd be worth an average of 5-6 NCAA bids per year.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
To create something that works, you have to start by linking up the "mid-major" schools that have financially committed to basketball being their front porch program:

Gonzaga
St. Mary's
Wichita St.
Saint Louis
Dayton
VCU
Belmont
Loyola-Chicago

If geography and travel cost were of no concern, this would be the start of a blockbuster conference close in stature to the Big East. So how do you work backward and create something that makes the logistics feasible? By adding enough like-minded institutions (at least when it comes to athletics) to create 3 or 4 pods. Something like:

West:
Gonzaga
San Francisco
St. Mary's
Grand Canyon
New Mexico St. *(maybe you go with Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount, or San Diego instead of NM St).

Midwest:
Wichita St.
Saint Louis
Loyola-Chicago
Murray St.
Belmont

East:
VCU
St. Bonaventure
Davidson
Richmond
Dayton

Just looking at last year, you'd have 5 top 50 teams and 10 top 100 teams in this setup.

The cross country travel could largely be limited to the late December-early mid January schedule in basketball, and largely eliminated in non-revenue sports save for maybe one long weekend a year and conference tournaments. For VCU, a conference schedule could go something like this:

Home:
Bona
Davidson
Richmond
Dayton
St. Mary's
Wichita St.
Saint Louis
Murray St.

Road:
Bona
Davidson
Richmond
Dayton
St. Mary's
Wichita St.
Loyola-Chicago
Belmont

I think you could command pretty strong TV money with this group, and I think it'd be worth an average of 5-6 NCAA bids per year.
Sold

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member

Gonzaga
St. Mary's
Wichita St.
Saint Louis
Dayton
VCU
Belmont
Loyola-Chicago

West:
Gonzaga
San Francisco
St. Mary's
Grand Canyon

Midwest:
Wichita St.
Saint Louis
Loyola-Chicago
Murray St.
Belmont

East:
VCU
St. Bonaventure
Davidson
Richmond
Dayton

Home:
Bona
Davidson
Richmond
Dayton
St. Mary's
Wichita St.
Saint Louis
Murray St.

Road:
Bona
Davidson
Richmond
Dayton
St. Mary's
Wichita St.
Loyola-Chicago
Belmont

I like this idea, and I really like the assortment of teams in the western pod in particular (San Francisco is sneaky good, they beat UVA last season in a thriller). It would be a very strong basketball conference.

Violet Ram

Elite Member

Gonzaga
St. Mary's
Wichita St.
Saint Louis
Dayton
VCU
Belmont
Loyola-Chicago

West:
Gonzaga
San Francisco
St. Mary's
Grand Canyon

Midwest:
Wichita St.
Saint Louis
Loyola-Chicago
Murray St.
Belmont

East:
VCU
St. Bonaventure
Davidson
Richmond
Dayton

Home:
Bona
Davidson
Richmond
Dayton
St. Mary's
Wichita St.
Saint Louis
Murray St.

Road:
Bona
Davidson
Richmond
Dayton
St. Mary's
Wichita St.
Loyola-Chicago
Belmont

Again, why would Gonzaga join this conference over the Big East?