For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Bernadette needs to get on the horn with Sister Jean and Loyola Chicago. They'd be a good fit in the A10 and give SLU another Midwest friend. Plus Chicago is easy to get to and I love deep dish pizza
I’ve always liked the idea of adding Loyola-Chicago. They also have a great fan base that would fit right in this conference.

BigE

Elite Member
C’mon, Belmont is Davidson Lite…..and while DC puts a decent product on the floor and has the Steph Curry legacy to help their national profile—they have brought little value to the conference other than stemming the pain of losing Butler, Xavier and Temple.

I sincerely hope that no one even considered adding Belmont for any reason other than maybe having a much better location for the A10 tourney. It’s a small non-secular school with little to offer in terms of profile and fan base.
Belmont has choen to go to the MVC.
BTW: the AAC will announce next week the addition of Colordo St and Air Force.

Havoc City

Elite Member
Why? The Mt West seems very stable. Logical candidates for B12 additions but apparently not much interest from either end. AAC will need members, but again, doubtful there is mutual interest. Mt West and it’s membership seems content. Entertaining sports, great attendance, like institutions in a logical footprint.
Because the Mountain West could implode with Air Force and Colorado State leaving, plus Boise State trying to get out: https://www.deseret.com/2021/9/28/2...se-state-waiting-and-hoping-for-big-12-invite.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
I just don't see that CoSt and Airforce really doing a lot for basketball in the AAC...yeah I know AAC is a football thing but I'm just talking basketball......at least as far as replacements for Cinci and Houston.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
I just don't see that CoSt and Airforce really doing a lot for basketball in the AAC...yeah I know AAC is a football thing but I'm just talking basketball......at least as far as replacements for Cinci and Houston.
They won’t do much for football either.

Colorado State is pretty decent in basketball though.

tuttlecr

Elite Member
I really wish the A-10 could dump 2 or 3
basement dwellers and bring in WSU and some combination of Temple / Memphis. That would solidify us as the 7th best basketball conference on paper and we could realistically fight for 6th or better some years. I don’t think so many of us would be so eager to leave if that were to happen.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
WSU AD came out publicly and have said they back the AAC. They seem happy where they are.

It seems more likely to me that a school like WSU has told the A10 thanks but no thanks than it is that Bernadette is sitting at her desk doing nothing.

We will see what Wichita State is thinking once the AAC adds powerhouses Colorado State and Air Force. On top of that, there are rumors that the Big 12 may be looking to also add Boise State and Memphis. Boise State and San Diego State have already turned down invitations from the AAC, and it was stated Boise State was holding out for the Big 12. In fact, the Oklahoma State president met with the Boise State president within the last two weeks when both teams played each other in Boise. If Memphis bolts from the AAC, there won't be much left for Wichita State to hold on to from a basketball standpoint. In fact, the A-10 may very well jump the AAC in power rankings if Memphis leaves. The AAC is on extremely shaky ground right now because of the Big 12 expansion plans.

rvaram

Elite Member
Unlike fodu basketball when they jumped, JMU basketball has nowhere to go but up.
I'm trying to think but are there any sun belt or cUSA teams that have decent bball and football?

Teams like app state, coastal, ecu which used to have some decent football all have mediocre bball teams.

It seems like at that level there just aren't the resources to compete in both sports (unless you're a Liberty)

Havoc City

Elite Member
I'm trying to think but are there any sun belt or cUSA teams that have decent bball and football?

Teams like app state, coastal, ecu which used to have some decent football all have mediocre bball teams.

It seems like at that level there just aren't the resources to compete in both sports (unless you're a Liberty)
UTEP has a strong basketball program, and their football team isn't any worse than New Mexico's. They've been trying to get into the Mountain West for years. This might be their chance.