For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

Ovis fan

Elite Member
Insider
It may have already been said, but a very real threat to higher ed is the decreasing number of college age kids. Even before Covid, enrollments were dropping, especially in the Midwest. We are beginning to see it in VA. The P6 schools will not be affected for awhile. They will always get their numbers, but the small schools, especially the privates are already feeling it. Fewer students means less tuition dollars and smaller activity fee pools to support athletics. Conference realignments, dropping to lower conferences and dropping sports will continue if not become common.

rvaram

Elite Member
If you quit it was all a waste. If you keep at it, it was all a waste anyway but you're free to delude yourself that one day it might not be.
Yeah at some point for a lot of these schools it does seem like they're throwing good money after bad at football

One thing has surprised me: I thought by now we'd see a number of schools at the margins drop football altogether, or drop back a division. I still think it will happen; it is such a money-pit for all but a few. But I thought we'd have seen it by now. I suppose institutional self-images are hard to shake
I think they view it as an amenity as well as public face and advertising, which are costs. If the school down the road has a team, we better have one.
It will happen -at least at public universities and colleges. Higher education is a bubble that is unaffordable for most. The federal government can help, but it is only part of the solution. The only programs that remain will be ones that create revenue or break even. We have all seen it before -dot.com, real estate, commodities, bitcoin... College finances is the biggest bubble of them all. It will burst. And when it does, it will be ugly and swift. The only question is when.

A bubble is speculation followed by a sell off. This Seems like a slow shift. But yes, many degrees are foolish already if you have to finance it. The political discussion centers around picking up the check without containing the costs. And they are out of control and competing with each other. A market shift is in progress. But college administrators are not going to jump out of windows on a Black Friday. But who knows, a guess a massive shift could happen in a short time. Combine the financial picture with the trend that Today’s youth collectively don’t seem as tied to societal norms and expectations. I doubt college is as sought after in their minds.

The federal government as the primary lender could easily restore some balance. They could attach whatever standards, restrictions and regulations they want to their money. But they are not very good at that. They can defer problems, seemingly indefinitely, subsidize it, and incur debt. What limitations they have to do those things are unknown.

Anyway, the season will start soon, and help soothe concerns about the future and stability of the country.

BigE

Elite Member
HEY HOW ABOUT THIS:
If Bud Selig has his way, leaders from schools in the Sun Belt, Conference USA and American Athletic Conference will meet with an outside consultant and hammer out a restructuring that realigns the three leagues by region. That’s a scenario James Madison officials would no doubt applaud, as the out-of-whack geography of the FBS conferences has played a role in the Dukes previous decisions to remain FCS.
“You have to ask yourself why do three Group of 5 conferences have three almost identical footprints,” Selig said in an interview with the Daily News-Record. “You don’t see that among the Power 5.”

So here’s a fun idea for what a Conference USA/Sun belt hybrid might look like:​

North
  • Appalachian State
  • Liberty
  • Marshall
  • Middle Tennessee State
  • Old Dominion
  • Western Kentucky
South
  • Charlotte
  • Coastal Carolina
  • FAU
  • FIU
  • Georgia Southern
  • Georgia State
Texas and Friends
  • Arkansas State
  • New Mexico State
  • North Texas
  • Rice
  • Texas State
  • UTSA
  • UTEP
Central
  • Louisiana-Lafayette
  • Louisiana-Monroe
  • Louisiana Tech
  • South Alabama
  • Southern Miss
  • Troy
  • UAB

Last edited:

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
HEY HOW ABOUT THIS:

So here’s a fun idea for what a Conference USA/Sun belt hybrid might look like:​

North
  • Appalachian State
  • Liberty
  • Marshall
  • Middle Tennessee State
  • Old Dominion
  • Western Kentucky
South
  • Charlotte
  • Coastal Carolina
  • FAU
  • FIU
  • Georgia Southern
  • Georgia State
Texas and Friends
  • Arkansas State
  • New Mexico State
  • North Texas
  • Rice
  • Texas State
  • UTSA
  • UTEP
Central
  • Louisiana-Lafayette
  • Louisiana-Monroe
  • Louisiana Tech
  • South Alabama
  • Southern Miss
  • Troy
  • UAB

Speaking of merging Conference USA with other conferences:

Violet Ram

Elite Member
I think it's certainly a slight head turner but not Earth shattering. I think if the Big East adds 3, VCU will be one of the teams. If they add just 1, I seriously doubt it.
I think the odds are high if it's just 1. The real main competition is SLU due to cultural fit and Midwest location. I think WSU is up there, but their slightly outside the footprint, are in a small marker surrounded by big name schools, and have a perception as a lower academic school.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
Not sure if it's boom, but closer to the first sighting of smoke. I think there are schools out there that add value and bids to the conference, and it's in the conference's best interest to add them. Whether the president's recognize that now is another question.
I don't think the commish is going to be saying this publicly unless he knows there is sentiment in favor. This isn't the first time (or venue) the ADs in the conference are hearing this from Ackerman, and I doubt the initiative started with him. As BF said, it probably depends in the number of programs they are thinking about adding.