For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
giphy.gif

But seriously: SLU, VCU (Georgetown be darned), and Dayton (Xavier be darned). Brings the BE up to 14 teams.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
giphy.gif

But seriously: SLU, VCU (Georgetown be darned), and Dayton (Xavier be darned). Brings the BE up to 14 teams.
I think in the past, Georgetown's AD made public comments that they were open to VCU. Georgetown and VCU aren't in the same situation as X and Dayton.
I think they might take them over us if they decide to invite only one team.
I'm not seeing it. I get that they've had some great basketball success, but it doesn't exceed VCU's to the point where their location, market, academics and recent Marshall scandal aren't important. I think SLU is a bigger threat, but their basketball prowess is often inflated.

Violet Ram

Elite Member

That said, if Fox wants them to add Gonzaga, you gotta think they figure out a way to make it work.
Besides the added cost, I think Gonzaga joining the big east would be a dereliction of their duty to protect their student athletes' academic and health wellbeing. Can you imagine the baseball team traveling either halfway or across the country on a biweekly basis?

Perhaps even more pertinent, is Gonzaga in the Big East worth that much to Fox? Will west Coast viewers enjoy 4 or 5 pm too times versus providence and St. John's on a regular basis?

Also, if Gonzaga is such a desirable add to the big east, why didn't they add Gonzaga before UConn? Gonzaga has a better recent pedigree and was a better institutional fit.

BracketForecast

Elite Member
Besides the added cost, I think Gonzaga joining the big east would be a dereliction of their duty to protect their student athletes' academic and health wellbeing. Can you imagine the baseball team traveling either halfway or across the country on a biweekly basis?

Perhaps even more pertinent, is Gonzaga in the Big East worth that much to Fox? Will west Coast viewers enjoy 4 or 5 pm too times versus providence and St. John's on a regular basis?

Also, if Gonzaga is such a desirable add to the big east, why didn't they add Gonzaga before UConn? Gonzaga has a better recent pedigree and was a better institutional fit.

it would only work if Gonzaga had a different home for all non-basketball sports. No idea if the WCC would let them stay for the leftovers.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member

They only added UConn because they were a dominant team in the original Big East and UConn wanted out of the AAC anyway (they didn’t like the AAC’s latest TV deal), and they had no issues with making football independent since it sucks anyway.

UConn doesn’t have the logistics issues Gonzaga does…even though adding Gonzaga would be similar to San Diego State being invited to and almost joining the old Big East before the realignment.

no doubt VCU is best athletic program for Big East from the A10 But..........
Catholic Private Schools will be first targets (i.e st louis, dayton) the wild card is can St Joe's return basketball program to the quality it was in the 2000s - when they owned the a10 before Big East makes expansion choices
Presidents of the Big East Schools will lean toward similarity of mission for the expansion choices
don't forget Holy Cross could jump into picture or another mid major catholic school as well as St Bonaventures, Siena , Niagara, Fairfield

my handicapping is if they expand 1 member it will not be VCU
if they expand 3 members - VCU has a 50-50 chance

Last edited:

Cyniclone

Elite Member
I don’t know if geographic balance is a big deal but right now it’s six eastern schools and five central schools, so that might boost Saint Louis, Wichita State, Dayton (if Xavier doesn’t throw a block), Loyola Chicago (ditto DePaul) or even Drake.

Someone on another board discussed the possibility that Fox and CBS might split the next BE media deal, which would require the BE to offer more content, thus giving credence to a big add.

Or maybe Ackerman is just testing the waters knowing that the presidents won’t bite.