For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

Cyniclone

Elite Member
All the more reason why we need to show out these next few years. A big time season would go a long way.
The Big East knows who and what VCU is. A good season isn’t going to make the positives shinier or the negatives dingier. Only fans put much credence in recent on-court/field success. The powers that be are going to focus on the long-term and permanent metrics like academics, AD budget, facilities and institutional/geographic fit.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
it would only work if Gonzaga had a different home for all non-basketball sports. No idea if the WCC would let them stay for the leftovers.
Currently, that's not permissible under NCAA rules. Basketball and Olympics must be played in the same conference as long as the sport is offered by the conference.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
They only added UConn because they were a dominant team in the original Big East and UConn wanted out of the AAC anyway (they didn’t like the AAC’s latest TV deal), and they had no issues with making football independent since it sucks anyway.

UConn doesn’t have the logistics issues Gonzaga does…even though adding Gonzaga would be similar to San Diego State being invited to and almost joining the old Big East before the realignment.
To be honest, I'm not sure you're saying anything different from me. Basically, you're saying that UConn was a good fit because they had a basketball pedigree, were available, and didn't present the logistics issues. My whole point was that the logistics issues will prevent Gonzaga from joining the Big East.

Also, in regards to SDSU, they were going to be a football only member and there were several other western football schools about to be added as well. That's very different from Gonzaga joining the Big East.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
no doubt VCU is best athletic program for Big East from the A10 But..........
Catholic Private Schools will be first targets (i.e st louis, dayton) the wild card is can St Joe's return basketball program to the quality it was in the 2000s - when they owned the a10 before Big East makes expansion choices
Presidents of the Big East Schools will lean toward similarity of mission for the expansion choices
don't forget Holy Cross could jump into picture or another mid major catholic school as well as St Bonaventures, Siena , Niagara, Fairfield

my handicapping is if they expand 1 member it will not be VCU
if they expand 3 members - VCU has a 50-50 chance
St. Joe's is so far down the list. The program is in a down swing, the facilities are dismal, there appears to be a lack of fan motivation, and the Big East already has Villanova. Dayton has the X issue. SLU is I think the biggest rival, but hasn't shown basketball resilience.

The rest of your "wild cards" are laughable.

RamDanFan

Elite Member
The Big East knows who and what VCU is. A good season isn’t going to make the positives shinier or the negatives dingier. Only fans put much credence in recent on-court/field success. The powers that be are going to focus on the long-term and permanent metrics like academics, AD budget, facilities and institutional/geographic fit.
Completely disagree. Being competitive in men’s basketball over the next few years will most certainly make the positives more shinier.

Cyniclone

Elite Member
Currently, that's not permissible under NCAA rules. Basketball and Olympics must be played in the same conference as long as the sport is offered by the conference.
I think you can play an Olympic sport in another conference even if your home conference offers it, so long as they approve. Providence volleyball played in America East, even though the Big East sponsored it. Eventually PC moved its volleyball to the BE.

But basketball must be played in your home conference, so unless there’s a big change in the NCAA bylaws, you can’t have basketball-only conferences or schools that only play basketball in a conference.

Cyniclone

Elite Member
Completely disagree. Being competitive in men’s basketball over the next few years will most certainly make the positives more shinier.
Results are temporary. A good coach and good recruits can turn things around quickly. A bad coach and recruits can crater them just as quickly. But if you have strong academics or facilities or have a lot in common with the other schools in the conference, that doesn’t change year-to-year. Whereas if you don’’t have academics or budget, you can improve but it’s going to take a long time.

Gopher+RamFan

Elite Member
Wichita State is a non-starter. They're too far west, but more important is academics. They're ranked in the #298-389 category nationally. It'd be different if they were a private catholic school, but they can't overlook their academics as a public school. Dayton should be a non-starter too if Xavier continues to block them. Kind of a redundant DMA for television, big draw is recent success and fanbase.

VCU is on par academically with BE member St Johns (#175) and brings a similar level fanbase as Dayton. Last few years haven't seen NCAA tournament success and we're public. I think we're in decent position along with SLU. They bring a new DMA and a "bridge" to Creighton. Obviously if logistics could work, it's Gonzaga. Hard to sell all the other olympic sports making those flights though.

I'm cautiously optimistic as long as Georgetown isn't blocking us and we don't tank over the next few seasons. Of course the BE might not expand at all.

Cyniclone

Elite Member
If they add one, it almost has to be Saint Louis. Gives them the 6/6 E/W split, good market, good Catholic school, good basketball, good institutional fit.

Gonzaga only works if
a) Fox throws out a ridiculous proposal that’s contingent on Gonzaga being included, or
b) the NCAA allows schools not to play their men’s/women’s basketball in their home conference. In this case, the WCC lets the Zags keep their other sports there on the condition that they play x number of basketball games against WCC teams every year, half of them on the road.

If it’s three, which seems unlikely but things change, then VCU at the least has a puncher’s chance, but everyone has at least one major strike against them: public school (VCU, Wichita State, UMass), distance (Gonzaga, maybe Wichita), regional blocks (Dayton, Loyola Chicago, maybe VCU). Richmond allegedly has good relations with Georgetown but is that enough? Is Davidson viable? What if West Virginia decided to leave the Big 12 to go independent and play everything else in the Big East? OK not the last one, but honestly probably not the others either. This feels like an SLU add unless something big happens to clear the way for Gonzaga.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
If they add one, it almost has to be Saint Louis. Gives them the 6/6 E/W split, good market, good Catholic school, good basketball, good institutional fit.

Gonzaga only works if
a) Fox throws out a ridiculous proposal that’s contingent on Gonzaga being included, or
b) the NCAA allows schools not to play their men’s/women’s basketball in their home conference. In this case, the WCC lets the Zags keep their other sports there on the condition that they play x number of basketball games against WCC teams every year, half of them on the road.

If it’s three, which seems unlikely but things change, then VCU at the least has a puncher’s chance, but everyone has at least one major strike against them: public school (VCU, Wichita State, UMass), distance (Gonzaga, maybe Wichita), regional blocks (Dayton, Loyola Chicago, maybe VCU). Richmond allegedly has good relations with Georgetown but is that enough? Is Davidson viable? What if West Virginia decided to leave the Big 12 to go independent and play everything else in the Big East? OK not the last one, but honestly probably not the others either. This feels like an SLU add unless something big happens to clear the way for Gonzaga.
As I said repeatedly, I think SLU and VCU are likely the leaders mostly for the reasons you outlined. But VCU does have an edge in SLU in terms of performance. VCU may also have an advantage over SLU and the other pretenders in terms of marketability which is driving the bus more than cultural fit.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
As I said repeatedly, I think SLU and VCU are likely the leaders mostly for the reasons you outlined. But VCU does have an edge in SLU in terms of performance. VCU may also have an advantage over SLU and the other pretenders in terms of marketability which is driving the bus more than cultural fit.
SLU would give Creighton a regional rival....at present they have no one that far west. The same could be said of WSU with SLU and Creighton. We shall have to see how WSU does without Marshall at the helm. We seem to be moving back up under Rhoades only to be slammed back by some unfortunate event.
On the plus side, I think the BE would be receptive to have a coach like Rhoades in their league.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
SLU would give Creighton a regional rival....at present they have no one that far west. The same could be said of WSU with SLU and Creighton. We shall have to see how WSU does without Marshall at the helm. We seem to be moving back up under Rhoades only to be slammed back by some unfortunate event.
On the plus side, I think the BE would be receptive to have a coach like Rhoades in their league.
I doubt giving Creighton a regional rival is a high priority for the conference. To be honest,.VCU isn't much farther than SLU for most of the Midwest teams. And I am very skeptical that the east coast teams would be in favor of adding an entire Western cohort of SLU/Dayton/WSU/Gonzaga. I think Georgetown, Nova, and even St. John's carry outsized influence.