For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

Mercury

Elite Member
Curious question, why would revenue generation be far down on the list?

How many eyeballs you bring to the TV is more important than how many butts you can put in the garden. Ticket revenue is a small part of the revenue pie for conference tournaments.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
How many eyeballs you bring to the TV is more important than how many butts you can put in the garden. Ticket revenue is a small part of the revenue pie for conference tournaments.
Is it possible that in person attendance can be correlated the size of the fan base thus the potential number of viewers? I genuinely don’t know but just thinking out loud

RamDanFan

Elite Member

Here is the VCU snippet:

Dayton/Saint Louis/VCU​

Each of the potential Atlantic 10 add-ons has its merits. The Flyers bring a devoted fan base, immediate friction with Xavier, a like-minded Catholic school and an invested administration. The Billikens fit perfectly, as well, and offer up a new city to expand the Big East’s midwest reach. And while the Rams don’t match the profile from a university standpoint, they make up for it in name recognition and NCAA Tournament bona fides.

But taken singularly none of them necessarily move the needle enough to ratchet up a TV package. None would hurt the Big East, but it’s a question of how much any one of them would help it.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member

Here is the VCU snippet:

Dayton/Saint Louis/VCU​

Each of the potential Atlantic 10 add-ons has its merits. The Flyers bring a devoted fan base, immediate friction with Xavier, a like-minded Catholic school and an invested administration. The Billikens fit perfectly, as well, and offer up a new city to expand the Big East’s midwest reach. And while the Rams don’t match the profile from a university standpoint, they make up for it in name recognition and NCAA Tournament bona fides.

But taken singularly none of them necessarily move the needle enough to ratchet up a TV package. None would hurt the Big East, but it’s a question of how much any one of them would help it.
I mean, this seems about right. Like I said the other day, if the Big East is looking at adding more than one school, it should take a look at these three. If they're adding only one, then I don't think we make the cut.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
Is it possible that in person attendance can be correlated the size of the fan base thus the potential number of viewers? I genuinely don’t know but just thinking out loud
If it is, then the attendance is an added bonus! Fox is willing to pay millions for viewership, the conference gets to divide up the gate and concession earnings of tens of thousands to all of the conference members (ex. VCU has 3k fans show up who spend an average of $100 total, the house keeps half, so the BE divides the 150k 12 ways or 12.5k per school).

Last edited:

Violet Ram

Elite Member
I mean, this seems about right. Like I said the other day, if the Big East is looking at adding more than one school, it should take a look at these three. If they're adding only one, then I don't think we make the cut.
The article seems to imply that 1. Gonzaga 2. WSU 3. A10 school 4. MVC schools.

It then spends a ridiculously portion suggesting a western expansion of Gonzaga, SDSU, Boise and St. Mary's, in order to get over the travel logistics issue with Gonzaga. The article doesn't address whether those 4 schools collectively add value, including whether 10 and 11 EST pm tipoff times will get viewers out east.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member

It then spends a ridiculously portion suggesting a western expansion of Gonzaga, SDSU, Boise and St. Mary's, in order to get over the travel logistics issue with Gonzaga. The article doesn't address whether those 4 schools collectively add value, including whether 10 and 11 EST pm tipoff times will get viewers out east.
Now that I've actually read the article, that western expansion part makes no sense. Boise and SDSU aren't going to be interested in becoming football-only schools in one conference while playing all their other sports in the Big East. UNLV is also a hilariously bad idea.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
Now that I've actually read the article, that western expansion part makes no sense. Boise and SDSU aren't going to be interested in becoming football-only schools in one conference while playing all their other sports in the Big East. UNLV is also a hilariously bad idea.
I haven't seen anyone explain why Gonzaga would add tremendous value to the Big East even if half of the games are not primetime on either the East or West coasts. I get the name and basketball success, but will a Georgetown-Gonzaga weekday game at 10pm EST really outperform a Georgetown-VCU 7pm game on a regular basis?

rf1

The way that we travel to NYC for A10 is a yuge and underrated aspect to this discussion. They want a program with fans that will snatch up tickets at MSG.

Why would this matter when attendance is already good at MSG for the BE Tournament and ticket demand is likely to be even greater with the new addition of the large nearby UConn fanbase? The last BE tournament before covid without UConn in 2019 basically sold out every session.

RamDanFan

Elite Member

Gonzaga. The article doesn't address whether those 4 schools collectively add value, including whether 10 and 11 EST pm tipoff times will get viewers out east.

The article never really made clear that they were ranking the choices. I did find it interesting that quotes from Val Ackerman seemed singular in nature when discussing expansion. Adding "team" versus adding "teams".

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
I get the name and basketball success, but will a Georgetown-Gonzaga weekday game at 10pm EST really outperform a Georgetown-VCU 7pm game on a regular basis?

Yes, significantly—there are three additional time zones nationally and both Georgetown and Gonzaga basketball are names that are more likely to attract casual basketball fans. A 10pm game is prime viewing for two of the three additional time zones and a comfortable late game for the Central time zone. A 7pm ET game is prime time for one time zone and a GU-VCU matchup would not be terribly compelling to casuals outside of the Mid-Atlantic.