For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Yes, significantly—there are three additional time zones nationally and both Georgetown and Gonzaga basketball are names that are more likely to attract casual basketball fans. A 10pm game is prime viewing for two of the three additional time zones and a comfortable late game for the Central time zone. A 7pm ET game is prime time for one time zone and a GU-VCU matchup would not be terribly compelling to casuals outside of the Mid-Atlantic.
Ratings have generally proven that people who want to see Gonzaga will tune in to see Gonzaga regardless of when they play, even if it's 10pm in the time zone in which they want to watch. The Pac-12 already demonstrates that, there's quite a few people who will tune in and willingly tolerate Bill Walton despite it being late.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
I'm kind of disappointed not to see Middle Tennessee on that list. But not surprised. Lots of big metropolitan areas and a presence in Alabama. It is what it is.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
I'm kind of disappointed not to see Middle Tennessee on that list. But not surprised. Lots of big metropolitan areas and a presence in Alabama. It is what it is.
It also looks like the AAC is trying to get a foothold in Texas before the MWC can consider expanding there.

rvaram

Elite Member
So that would leave CUsa with 8 members? That's the bare minimum, right? That is one dog of a league at that point. Wonder if jmu will have the sense to stay away from that mess. Wouldn't think they could pull any Sunbelt teams in either.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
So that would leave CUsa with 8 members? That's the bare minimum, right? That is one dog of a league at that point. Wonder if jmu will have the sense to stay away from that mess. Wouldn't think they could pull any Sunbelt teams in either.
I think one or two of the remaining CUSA teams are likely sun belt bound (MTSU and WKU?).

VCURAMIT

Elite Member
They actually raided the C-USA and ODU did not make the cut :lol:

They've got people over on their forums talking about going independent in football and joining the A10. Why would the A10 have any interest in ODU when we already have two other very mediocre Virginia schools struggling for relevance?? The delusion of that fanbase is wild.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
The minimum is 6, I believe.

Havoc City

Elite Member
If those teams leave C-USA, it's hard to see how the league survives with the geographical footprint of the remaining teams. I don't think UTEP and fodu want to be playing each other in home and homes every year in non-revenue sports.