For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
I was a VCU student in '93/94/95 when we got screwed over by the Metro puppet masters and they formed their precious little Conference USA...I care more about literally all that is and has ever been than I do about that conference and any school that is or has ever been a part of it.

Conference USA I WILL DANCE ON YOUR GRAVE!!! Denny Crum is waiting for you in H E L L !!
giphy.gif
I feel like your are holding back a little….

BradRamFan

Elite Member
This article is fluff and BS. I was told in no uncertain terms on this board that 1. The Big East had no reason to expand and if they did it would only be like 1 team. So I call BS on this article 🤷‍♂️
I was on the other side. I said they needed to strongly consider expansion. I've been on the phone with them 24/7 lately and they have now started to listen to me.

On a serious note, if they go WSU, SLU, Dayton and someone else not named VCU, I am going to be terribly disappointed. If they do not go VCU - or someone here in the south (UR.....throwing up), it means they are afraid of attempting to infiltrate and cross ACC borders. Meanwhile the ACC has worked it's magic up and down the east coast.
I remember when the VA governor intervened to push Tech into the ACC. We need the VA governor now to carefully sculpt the path (with Georgetown and others) for VCU to get into the BE.
Alternatively with the collapse of CUSA, we could really push Bernie to get Memphis and WSU into the A10. That could help stabilize the A10 from a BE threat. If the A10 is just going to sit pat (Haven't heard a peep out of the A10......even though this is primarily a football thing) then I don't see the future as positive.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing Middle Tenn. dominating in the CAA, both in football AND basketball!

BigE

Elite Member
Both o

Both WKU and MTSU have FBS football, but the Valley is FCS.

Not saying you’re wrong, but I don’t see some of these schools downgrading football, unless they go Independent which can get expensive.
the Twitter rumor mill now have the main suitor for Western and Middle being the MAC.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
VCU was in the Sun Belt when it was a good basketball conference. They left for the Metro to the CAA to the A10. Not sure I like JMU going up to the Fun Belt as they like to call it. Hope JMU had some cash on hand because the Cox bill caps usage of student fees. JMU uses 90% of their student fees for athletics. Oh and I can remember the ECAC. VCU and JMU had some wild games.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
VCU was in the Sun Belt when it was a good basketball conference. They left for the Metro to the CAA to the A10. Not sure I like JMU going up to the Fun Belt as they like to call it. Hope JMU had some cash on hand because the Cox bill caps usage of student fees. JMU uses 90% of their student fees for athletics. Oh and I can remember the ECAC. VCU and JMU had some wild games.
I guess they don't have to accept an invitation if they're offered one if funding would be an issue.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I guess they don't have to accept an invitation if they're offered one if funding would be an issue.
Their fans are excited about the prospect so I am guessing they are hitting up the big donors and corporate sponsors. I think they can compete in football but it will move away from undefeated and one to two loss seasons to .500 football.

rvaram

Elite Member
Yeah, if JMU goes to the belt almost seems like the money on that nice new arena was a bit of a waste. If you're going all in on football, I'd just focus all the money there and let bball rot in the convocation center playing Sunbelt scrubs.