For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

urmite

Elite Member
I thought there used to be stricter stadium requirements to bump up to FBS? Did they do away with them? If I recall, one thing was having like at least 30k seats.

Seems like with all the teams making the jump to FBS, the low level conferences are kinda the new 1-AA.
“Average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.7.3]”

might be current?

BradRamFan

Elite Member
“Average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.7.3]”

might be current?

Well, I don't know how ODU gets 15,000 fans to go to their games. But gives me joy to think of how disappointed those ODU fans are when they leave their stadium to go back home after every home game.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
Well, I don't know how ODU gets 15,000 fans to go to their games. But gives me joy to think of how disappointed those ODU fans are when they leave their stadium to go back home after every home game.
Paid attendance means sold the tickets for some nominal amount. We do the same thing for some of our less interesting home games.

rvaram

Elite Member
At the end of the day, this whole thing actually worked out okay for old dirty. Basketball isn't really any worse off and they have a tighter geographic footprint. It's still watered down FBS football but better programs than CUsa, at least of late.

I'd be a bit torn if I were a JMU fan, but I think the thought of playing coastal, app state, Marshall, Louisiana etc in football would be enough to push me in the sun belt column. Sun belt basketball isn't that much worse than CAA, but still a decline.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
At the end of the day, this whole thing actually worked out okay for old dirty. Basketball isn't really any worse off and they have a tighter geographic footprint. It's still watered down FBS football but better programs than CUsa, at least of late.

I'd be a bit torn if I were a JMU fan, but I think the thought of playing coastal, app state, Marshall, Louisiana etc in football would be enough to push me in the sun belt column. Sun belt basketball isn't that much worse than CAA, but still a decline.
JMU fans are excited about it but be careful what you wish for in FBS football. They will go from undefeated or one loss seasons to .500 real quick. I sure hope they compete because I grew up with JMU football. My next door neighbor was the coach and the AD lived in my neighborhood. I watched them move up from basically playing a 6 games schedule to where they are today. I guess that time is now. They have been pushing for the move up for quite some time.

BracketForecast

Elite Member
JMU fans are excited about it but be careful what you wish for in FBS football. They will go from undefeated or one loss seasons to .500 real quick. I sure hope they compete because I grew up with JMU football. My next door neighbor was the coach and the AD lived in my neighborhood. I watched them move up from basically playing a 6 games schedule to where they are today. I guess that time is now. They have been pushing for the move up for quite some time.

will they have the probationary period like basketball teams moving from D2 to D1?

Violet Ram

Elite Member
There's someone on there with a thread about NY6 access bowl/earning a playoff spot ranked within the top 10. Now every fan base has it's crazies, but that thread has other fans adding items like

i dig this thread
Having such a strong Sun Belt will help with this too.

Personally, I think that having to add an FCS school, an ODU team that can count the number of FBS wins over the last 5 years on their fingers, and 2 other middling CUSA teams tells you a lot about the strength of the Sun Belt.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
There's someone on there with a thread about NY6 access bowl/earning a playoff spot ranked within the top 10. Now every fan base has it's crazies, but that thread has other fans adding items like

Personally, I think that having to add an FCS school, an ODU team that can count the number of FBS wins over the last 5 years on their fingers, and 2 other middling CUSA teams tells you a lot about the strength of the Sun Belt.
I would need to study it but in basketball I think the Sun Belt is on par with the CAA or better.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
It will be interesting to see what this does for their basketball program. They have a nice gym and will be in a better conference. They might start getting some better recruits from around the state.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
FCpZoLMXMAQSWaP

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Yup... in the Sunbelt you got Coastal Carolina who been good the last few years.... App State who is always sneaky & can upset anyone on a given date. Louisiana & ULM are sneaky good too.