Forced to be reseated in a non-reseating year????

Okay then. It sounds like this is the perfect excuse you were looking for not to continue getting season tickets. But you probably should have just not donated this year and saved the money. You could have used that money to buy occasional single game tickets for the next 4-5 years. But this isn’t on the AD. Whether you disagree with the new timing of season ticket purchases or not, it was made clear a couple months ago.
Well, doc, maybe this one small point isn't on the AD. The other 43 pages on this thread are certainly and squarely on the AD.

Well, doc, maybe this one small point isn't on the AD. The other 43 pages on this thread are certainly and squarely on the AD.
Pretty sure he was talking about the payment plan this year. I got the email. It was up to me what to do from there.

I don’t defend the AD on everything. Far from it. But people can’t complain about not being aware about something that was so obvious and well communicated.

Okay then. It sounds like this is the perfect excuse you were looking for not to continue getting season tickets. But you probably should have just not donated this year and saved the money. You could have used that money to buy occasional single game tickets for the next 4-5 years. But this isn’t on the AD. Whether you disagree with the new timing of season ticket purchases or not, it was made clear a couple months ago.
Now you are my consigliere. Will you accept Pay Pal?

There is a regular poster who is a CC member, pays $1750 and tickets are in section 6. How can that be?
They are paying less than me and probably have better seats. Aside from the initial contribution that the CCMs made I have probably paid way more than they have for lesser seats over the last 15 years.

I am OK with it if it's the price we need to pay to remain relevant. When I get priced out of the market, I will sit back and watch on TV.

I don’t defend the AD on everything. Far from it. But people can’t complain about not being aware about something that was so obvious and well communicated.
Obviously you've ignored the entirety of Ramnation's conversation about what is NET and how it works.

Only 4 people contacted RTD to complain (according to the article) And it says they sold more season tickets this year than they did all of last year. So I think VCU has finally established a floor to the decreased revenue. I also think Odom will help relationships with all donors including the higher end. The MR era was pretty bad from my perspective in getting to have an up close relationship with the program. I have had more invites and interactions with Ryan Odom in 4 months than I did in all of MR's tenure.
I am not diminishing the pain and plight of the donors that were affected by this. But I think most people found a better way to get tickets at a lower cost than play the VCU "3 seat monte" game with ever-changing seating charts and donation requirements.

Only 4 people contacted RTD to complain (according to the article) And it says they sold more season tickets this year than they did all of last year. So I think VCU has finally established a floor to the decreased revenue. I also think Odom will help relationships with all donors including the higher end. The MR era was pretty bad from my perspective in getting to have an up close relationship with the program. I have had more invites and interactions with Ryan Odom in 4 months than I did in all of MR's tenure.
I am not diminishing the pain and plight of the donors that were affected by this. But I think most people found a better way to get tickets at a lower cost than play the VCU "3 seat monte" game with ever-changing seating charts and donation requirements.
They fail to mention that there are not enough 10K donors to fill half the seats allocated to them or the other center section seats. Where did these new season ticket holders get to choose their seats? Were they restricted to the donor levels?

They fail to mention that there are not enough 10K donors to fill half the seats allocated to them or the other center section seats. Where did these new season ticket holders get to choose their seats? Were they restricted to the donor levels?
They are going to learn the hard way that they will have to lower those donation levels or be stuck with where they are at in terms of revenue. There are not enough people willing to donate $10k a year to fill those seats. Many that do pay that much, sell there extras (at face value or below) or give them away.
Some takeaways from the article that I was left with:
1. VCU is choosing its words better and I think there is more empathy for the donors. Still room for improvement though.
2. Ed closed his mouth during this round of press He is a lightning rod for bad press bc of past decisions. He needs to keep it closed. I presume the whole process for whatever you call this partial reseating was his brainchild. And again, it flopped.
3. Fans have learned to use the laws of supply and demand to there advantage. Many fans will be saving $$$ this coming year and still get there fill of VCU games. The whole "Don't drop out or you will lose priority points" has lost its luster because in reality the points are worthless if the rukes are changed to the house's favor every year.
4. I do believe VCU has found a floor to build on. It seems like they had to reach out to a lot of people and put in a lot of man hours to stabilize the decline of the past 5-6 years. Too bad they had to learn this lesson over 6 years of self teaching. Anyone worth a darn in business knows that it is much easier/ cheaper to keep a customer than get a new one. The feedback from the fans over the past few years has been enormous both on this forum and directly to the AD. Yet it went largely ignored. I still do not understand the thought process there by the AD. Supposedly many of these people went to the VCU CSL. It speaks very poorly on the CSL program imo.

Last edited:
They are going to learn the hard way that they will have to lower those donation levels or be stuck with where they are at in terms of revenue. There are not enough people willing to donate $10k a year to fill those seats. Many that do pay that much, sell there extras (at face value or below) or give them away.
Some takeaways from the article that I was left with:
1. VCU is choosing its words better and I think there is more empathy for the donors. Still room for improvement though.
2. Ed closed his mouth during this round of press He is a lightning rod for bad press bc of past decisions. He needs to keep it closed. I presume the whole process for whatever you call this partial reseating was his brainchild. And again, it flopped.
3. Fans have learned to use the laws of supply and demand to there advantage. Many fans will be saving $$$ this coming year and still get there fill of VCU games. The whole "Don't drop out or you will lose priority points" has lost its luster because in reality the points are worthless if the rukes are changed to the house's favor every year.
4. I do believe VCU has found a floor to build on. It seems like they had to reach out to a lot of people and put in a lot of man hours to stabilize the decline of the past 5-6 years. Too bad they had to learn this lesson over 6 years of self teaching. Anyone worth a darn in business knows that it is much easier/ cheaper to keep a customer than get a new one. The feedback from the fans over the past few years has been enormous both on this forum and directly to the AD. Yet it went largely ignored. I still do not understand the thought process there by the AD. Supposedly many of these people went to the VCU CSL. It speaks very poorly on the CSL program imo.
Agree with everything but will add another nuance to VCU's dilemma; Odom will not be here long (I'm guessing 3 yrs). I believe as soon as an ACC job opens he goes (if Wake opens up tomorrow, he'll go sooner); he's already set the pattern...and I'm (finally) good with this reality. The challenge for VCU is avoiding the peaks/valleys these changes bring. I think redrawing the donor boundaries is a good start and should reflect supply / demand.
I don't think we'll see empty seats in the 10K donor sections, though. VCU will use those as lost leaders to bring new donors in or give them away to staff (I'm hoping on the latter as both my wife and daughter work for VCU).

Agree with everything but will add another nuance to VCU's dilemma; Odom will not be here long (I'm guessing 3 yrs). I believe as soon as an ACC job opens he goes (if Wake opens up tomorrow, he'll go sooner); he's already set the pattern...and I'm (finally) good with this reality. The challenge for VCU is avoiding the peaks/valleys these changes bring. I think redrawing the donor boundaries is a good start and should reflect supply / demand.
I don't think we'll see empty seats in the 10K donor sections, though. VCU will use those as lost leaders to bring new donors in or give them away to staff (I'm hoping on the latter as both my wife and daughter work for VCU).
I’m staff and the only time I’ve been offered free tickets was in 2012 and it was last row behind the basket. I get a small discount for my tickets and I general pay a lot of money in my opinion for our tickets. I’d love to sit in those 10K seats but I don’t think they’ll be given away.

Back