Foreign student/player education ruling?

May 1, 2009
Recently the Trump administration issued a directive to enforce the ruling that all foreign students must take in-class courses or they need to transfer to a university that offers in-class courses starting this fall.
Has VCU set the stage yet for how it intends to handle classes on the academic campus this fall in light of Covid-19?
I'm thinking of players like Hason Ward....and likely many other student athletes (probably soccer) that have foreign students on student visas. They are now supposed to be required to take in-class courses (although not sure if they must be a full credit load that must be in-class)

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
That could be a big problem for Davidson. We all know how they like their European players.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
That would affect our WBB team BIG TIME!!!..... I mean look at the list of internationals we have
Tera Reed- New Zealand (sr.)
Olga Petrova- Russia (sr.)
Sofya Pashigoreva- Russia (sr.)
Janika Griffith-Wallace- Canada (R-Jr.)
Kseniya Malashka- Belarus (Jr.)
Sam Robinson- Canada (R- So.)
Chloe Boom- Australia (So.)
Sarah Te-Biasu- Canada (Fr.)
Elze Motekaityte- Lithuania- (Fr.)

Tera, Olga, Sofya, Kseniya are key players from last years squad.

Thats 9 players.... which would leave us with
Taya Robinson (sr.)
Sydnei Archie (sr.)
Madison Hattix-Covington (R-Jr.)
Jenna Nelson (so.) (walk on)
Dasia Townes (Fr.)
Rain Green (Fr.)
Camila Contreras (Fr.)

Reactions: DevDog and rammad90
Feb 14, 2011
OK so I'm confused. I always thought foreign Student/Athletes always took classes just like every other student/athlete from the USA. Are you saying that we had athletes that weren't actually taking classes? Are there colleges that scholarship kids that take on-line classes?

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
OK so I'm confused. I always thought foreign Student/Athletes always took classes just like every other student/athlete from the USA. Are you saying that we had athletes that weren't actually taking classes? Are there colleges that scholarship kids that take on-line classes?
No, this has nothing to do with students, universities, the NCAA, economics, or common sense. It's pure political posturing by way of malice.

May 1, 2009
There is a rule that foreign students in the US are required to take in-seat class. They are not allowed to come to the US on a student visa and only take online classes. This has been on the books for awhile and I am fine with it. However, in the spring with Covid coming on strong, immigration waived the ruling since many universities shut their doors and converted to online courses. Immigration has now reversed course on that ruling for the fall 2020 and spring 2021 academic year, going back to the original ruling that all foreign students must take in-class courses (again, not sure of the total in class credits required per semester).
Yale for example has decided to shut their campus and go for complete online courses for 20-21. So, I was asking if anyone knew VCU plans for the fall and/or spring. Do athletes get any credit for practice hours or some type of "recreational" course involving their particular sport? That would basically be in-class credit.
And while this is a politically driven decision IMO, I would rather not make it about politics and just ask the question of how it will affect our student athletes. Maybe someone call the RTD sports department and suggest they write a story on the issue for the two major universities in the city or the universities around the state from a sport perspective. Might be interesting.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
There is a rule that foreign students in the US are required to take in-seat class. They are not allowed to come to the US on a student visa and only take online classes. This has been on the books for awhile and I am fine with it. However, in the spring with Covid coming on strong, immigration waived the ruling since many universities shut their doors and converted to online courses. Immigration has now reversed course on that ruling for the fall 2020 and spring 2021 academic year, going back to the original ruling that all foreign students must take in-class courses (again, not sure of the total in class credits required per semester).
Yale for example has decided to shut their campus and go for complete online courses for 20-21. So, I was asking if anyone knew VCU plans for the fall and/or spring. Do athletes get any credit for practice hours or some type of "recreational" course involving their particular sport? That would basically be in-class credit.
And while this is a politically driven decision IMO, I would rather not make it about politics and just ask the question of how it will affect our student athletes. Maybe someone call the RTD sports department and suggest they write a story on the issue for the two major universities in the city or the universities around the state from a sport perspective. Might be interesting.
I'm also interested (and also immediately thought of Hason when I heard), but I don't think you can take the politics out of a fundamentally political decision

Reactions: rskills
May 1, 2009
I'm also interested (and also immediately thought of Hason when I heard), but I don't think you can take the politics out of a fundamentally political decision
Well if VCU has some type of in-seat class in the fall that athletes can take, then it will not be an issue for us regardless of the politics. But some schools where the virus is more pervasive whether in-state or not might be affected
Nonetheless, I do have concern for our players which was why I asked the question.

Reactions: mrgeode

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
All of our players are here and will be taking at least some classes in person. This Executive Order wouldn't apply to them. And it is unlikely to take effect as to anyone. The Admin has already been sued, the plaintiffs will seek an injunction, and (just MHO) likely to be granted. More noise from Pennsylvania Avenue.

Reactions: RamLover

ISwamRam

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
All of our players are here and will be taking at least some classes in person. This Executive Order wouldn't apply to them. And it is unlikely to take effect as to anyone. The Admin has already been sued, the plaintiffs will seek an injunction, and (just MHO) likely to be granted. More noise from Pennsylvania Avenue.
That's how I see it, too. I'll also add that VCU hasn't made a decision what the mix will be (per my daughter, a Sr and my spouse who works in student admissions).

Also...if this does come to reality (which I doubt it will) our Tennis teams will be gone.

Reactions: rammad90
Jan 16, 2020
As on-line courses continue to become more and more common, when will the University of Phoenix become an NCAA hoops power? But can student-athletes have on-line tutors? probably.