Former Recruits and Players

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I wouldn't Ed Sherod in that category of player just brought into play. Ed is 12 credits of a degree and left when the Knicks called...a different time back then for sure.
Sherod is in the same boat as Kendrick Warren. Kendrick's jersey was not hung in the rafters until he graduated from VCU years later. In fact, as soon as he graduated (December graduation), VCU retired his jersey. It pains me that Ed Sherod never went back to complete his degree. His jersey definitely should be hanging in the rafters of the Stu.

May 19, 2015
So what is the criteria to meet to have your jersey retired or hung? I read the criteria for Hall of Fame. If you meet that criteria, VCU has put you in the company of the elite.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
So what is the criteria to meet to have your jersey retired or hung? I read the criteria for Hall of Fame. If you meet that criteria, VCU has put you in the company of the elite.
One criteria is you had to have graduated with a degree from VCU. That's why Ed Sherod's jersey is not hanging in the rafters and you will also not see Larry Sanders be considered for the same reason. Not that Larry Sanders should ever be considered..

May 19, 2015
One criteria is you had to have graduated with a degree from VCU. That's why Ed Sherod's jersey is not hanging in the rafters and you will also not see Larry Sanders be considered for the same reason. Not that Larry Sanders should ever be considered..
Thanks for your clarification. I was wondering why folks were pushing for Mr. Wilkins' jersey to be hung in the rafters if he did not graduate from VCU. It sounds like some have heard there was a commitment to retire Mr. Wilkins' number or hang his jersey based on his extraordinary contributions made during his basketball career at VCU, however, Mr. Wilkins did not finish his studies at VCU. I heard he was in the VCU Hall of Fame, which some on folks on Ramnation appear to equate such honor as being listed in a cookbook as a sponsor of a high school football team.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Thanks for your clarification. I was wondering why folks were pushing for Mr. Wilkins' jersey to be hung in the rafters if he did not graduate from VCU. It sounds like some have heard there was a commitment to retire Mr. Wilkins' number or hang his jersey based on his extraordinary contributions made during his basketball career at VCU, however, Mr. Wilkins did not finish his studies at VCU. I heard he was in the VCU Hall of Fame, which some on folks on Ramnation appear to equate such honor as being listed in a cookbook as a sponsor of a high school football team.
Personally, I think it is totally reasonable requiring a player to graduate prior to having their jersey retired. After all, VCU is an institution of higher education. If you are 15 credits from graduating, there is no reason for you not to go back and get your degree. Especially if you still live in the Richmond area.

May 19, 2015
Personally, I think it is totally reasonable requiring a player to graduate prior to having their jersey retired. After all, VCU is an institution of higher education. If you are 15 credits from graduating, there is no reason for you not to go back and get your degree. Especially if you still living in the Richmond area.
I totally agree! Being in the VCU Hall of Fame is a distinguishing honor and, while Mr. Wilkins' jersey was not hung in the rafter's, he was bestowed one of the highest honors for his contributions to the sport of basketball (Hall of Fame).

Reactions: RAM7889

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Personally, I think it is totally reasonable requiring a player to graduate prior to having their jersey retired. After all, VCU is an institution of higher education. If you are 15 credits from graduating, there is no reason for you not to go back and get your degree. Especially if you still live in the Richmond area.
According to the qualifications posted, if one doesn’t graduate they are not eligible for the VCU Athletics HoF, but apparently that has been overlooked for a few folks.

I believe one of the issues with some of the pre mid 80s players is that VCU didn’t have programs in place to support attendance once scholarship eligibility was up. I know Dr Sander made some changes that helped a lot of athletes in that situation. I would imagine that is still the case, bit not sure.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Just popped over to see the score of the Texas/WVU game
WVU up 49-23 in the second half when a WVU fan yells...clearly into the TV mic
“Hey Shaka, hows the job security!?!”
Announcers laughed for a second and quickly moved on

Kind of sad

RAM7889

Top Member
Insider
Apr 20, 2009
That man had it all here and threw it all away.
I agree! But his contract down there supplied lifetime guarantee of financial success. I was hoping he could be the guy who broke the streak of being great at VCU and stayed! I have no ill will for him and I am sad that his stay at Texas is coming to an end. Have no same thoughts about WW!

Reactions: RamStrut and SWV

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
We need to contact WVA and see how they can play that style and not get tired like our kids do