Former Recruits and Players

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
I think you make to broad of a generalization. The vast majority of fans support all of our players. Yes absolutely there are some bad apples. I was saddened to hear say but not surprised that after some games, he and others received racial slurs and even death threats sometimes.

My reaction came right after tuning for in the interview too late. I saw the Evan's IG post "Tried to be nice but Y'all wanted old heartless Deuce back. Well ya'll gottem."

My thought was some fans gave him some crap during the live interview.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I think you make to broad of a generalization. The vast majority of fans support all of our players. Yes absolutely there are some bad apples. I was saddened to hear say but not surprised that after some games, he and others received racial slurs and even death threats sometimes.
The problem is the bad apples are very, very loud...loud enough that that's pretty much all you see sometimes.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
The problem is the bad apples are very, very loud...loud enough that that's pretty much all you see sometimes.
That is true in all facets of society. That is why you see many companies actively solicit feedback. How many people honestly go out and leave good reviews every time you have a good experience? I can guarantee you it is significantly less person to person than when you have a poor experience. Using just this forum there are about 70 people logged on right now, That is just under 1% of the seating capacity of the STU. Now we can all agree the Fan base is greater than the capacity of the STU but for simplicity sake, What percentage of people on this forum are "negative"? I'd say maybe 25% as over half of the members either don't post or post very infrequently. So yes 25 percent of the people make a lot of noise and you hear them a lot but they are still only 25%. So using the Stu as a reference number, I'd argue that maybe 1000 people are negative towards the players(while 25% may say something negative behind a keyboard, a lot of those same people would never say it to someone face to face)

So again yes there are bad apples but the generalization of our Fanbase treated the seniors like ..... is not fair to the fanbase at large

That does not mean that the team did not under achieve(somethings were in their control and it seems a lot of stuff out of their control occurred also).

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
That is true in all facets of society. That is why you see many companies actively solicit feedback. How many people honestly go out and leave good reviews every time you have a good experience? I can guarantee you it is significantly less person to person than when you have a poor experience. Using just this forum there are about 70 people logged on right now, That is just under 1% of the seating capacity of the STU. Now we can all agree the Fan base is greater than the capacity of the STU but for simplicity sake, What percentage of people on this forum are "negative"? I'd say maybe 25% as over half of the members either don't post or post very infrequently. So yes 25 percent of the people make a lot of noise and you hear them a lot but they are still only 25%. So using the Stu as a reference number, I'd argue that maybe 1000 people are negative towards the players(while 25% may say something negative behind a keyboard, a lot of those same people would never say it to someone face to face)

So again yes there are bad apples but the generalization of our Fanbase treated the seniors like ..... is not fair to the fanbase at large

That does not mean that the team did not under achieve(somethings were in their control and it seems a lot of stuff out of their control occurred also).

I would also add that negative comments don't always equate to "bad apples". Some people call out/openly identify team deficiencies, and oftentimes it's not what other posters want to hear or acknowledge - although it may be true. I am probably one of those posters that can't bury my head in the sand when there are obvious problems that need to be addressed. Objectivity does not always equate to being a "bad apple". Whether people want to accept it or not, the players and coaches are ALL public figures, and are subject to public scrutiny.

Now - personal attacks are a different story completely.

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
I am probably one of those posters that can't bury my head in the sand when there are obvious problems that need to be addressed.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I would also add that negative comments don't always equate to "bad apples". Some people call out/openly identify team deficiencies, and oftentimes it's not what other posters want to hear or acknowledge - although it may be true. I am probably one of those posters that can't bury my head in the sand when there are obvious problems that need to be addressed. Objectivity does not always equate to being a "bad apple". Whether people want to accept it or not, the players and coaches are ALL public figures, and are subject to public scrutiny.

This past season is likely the only season I can recall where people got into extremely heated arguments with players' parents and actively harassed the players and even issued them threats. That's not being objective.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
This past season is likely the only season I can recall where people got into extremely heated arguments with players' parents and actively harassed the players and even issued them threats. That's not being objective.

And none of that happened on these message boards. It was the Facebook lunatics and also on Twitter.

And for the record, it got pretty chippy around here for a while several years ago with Tad Gordon, Justin's uncle.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009

Do you think "calling out/openly identifying deficiencies" on a message board helps fix them or just creates more problems? I think all it does is make the people saying it feel more important and smarter as if they are seeing things that everyone else can not just because we are not talking about it.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Do you think "calling out/openly identifying deficiencies" on a message board helps fix them or just creates more problems? I think all it does is make the people saying it feel more important and smarter as if they are seeing things that everyone else can not just because we are not talking about it.

NEWS FLASH - This is a message board where people are free to speak their opinions. Nothing more, nothing less. FYI, 75% of what's posted on message boards are opinions anyway. Why is it you only feel a need to talk about the positives, but suppress any unbiased comments that may seem to be negative in your eyes? I'm pretty sure what's said on these message boards have already been heard by the players from the coaches.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009

Completely agree

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
NEWS FLASH - This is a message board where people are free to speak their opinions. Nothing more, nothing less. FYI, 75% of what's posted on message boards are opinions anyway. Why is it you only feel a need to talk about the positives, but suppress any unbiased comments that may seem to be negative in your eyes? I'm pretty sure what's said on these message boards have already been heard by the players from the coaches.
When the coaches say it is helpful.

Reactions: vcumad

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Racial slurs, and death threats? WTH? Some people really need to get a darned life.

If anyone is making those type of statements to players on the team, they have issues that far exceed those of a pissed off fan.

Like you, I am not surprised. However, I am not saddened, I am pissed. Death threats?

Last edited:

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010

While I agree being objective about a players performance is ok. I dont buy the safe harbor of the players being public figures. The players being public figures doesnt give us license to disect their lives, their families, and their motivations. Our critiques should just address their play on the court.

Some fans hide behind the "public figures" safe harbor, or being objective, or stating what needs to be address and take their comments too far. I remember posters discussing a certain players (not Jenkins) mental health and some of those comments appearing on a perspective regarding the kids potential as a NBA draftee.

So while folks may think they are being objective, a great deal of time they are being personal or just outright mean/nasty.

Last edited:
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM