Former Recruits and Players

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
Just looked up Kiir’s stats....yowza, wildly subpar.

in an alternate universe, there is an iteration of the VCU Rams with Mayan Kiir and Lavar Batts kickin a$$ and taking names for a likable Will Wade.
Yes. They are First Team All-Americans with a couple of Final Fours to their credit while playing under the tutelage of Will "Preacher-Man" Wade, who is known for running the cleanest program in the NCAA.
MV5BNDAxODE0NDUtNjA0Ny00MWY3LTg1NWEtNWQ5NjFmNzBjMTEzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk0NzgwMTE@._V1_.jpg

Bizzaro Willie!

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
I hope Batts and Kiir signed up for frequent flyer mileage programs and grocery store gas discount cards. These two guys have been around.
Maybe Batts, Kiir, and Demonte Buckingham can find a couple more guys and form a barnstorming NCAA version of the Washington Generals.
Maybe Capel and drive around in a van and pick them up ;)

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
Mayan Kiir committed to us then asked for release and travelled to LSU where he was dismissed from the program within the year. USF picked him up and he played all games the following season, 12 mpg, 47% FG, 18% 3pt, and about 5 ppg. This past season he played 8 games @ 4.5 mpg and 1.4 ppg and was dismissed for personal reasons......played the same number of games at LSU before he was dismissed. Now he's been picked up by New Mexico St.

• Wow
Reactions: cabell

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
It looks like Batts gambled and lost...so far.

• He commits to VCU and the coach he commits' to leaves
  • He still has an opportunity to stay with VCU but the opportunity to play at his dream in state school and for a coach that he has a relationship with pulls him to NC State
  • Unfortunately, another player with whom the coach has a longer relationship with decommits from Ohio State when they have a coaching change and becomes immediately eligible almost guaranteeing Batts will only see limited time.
  • Batts leaves and goes to another in state school to play for a coach from the Shaka tree and plays well.
  • Unfortunately, a player from the class behind him impresses the coach more and the following season, Batts losing time to a sophomore.
Looking at his stats two things stick out

• He plays better against higher level competition(small sample size)
  • He struggles alot if he doesn't start
If you are a school looking to bring him in, you better be ready too make him a starter if history is any indication

Reactions: mrgeode and SWV

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
It looks like Batts gambled and lost...so far.

• He commits to VCU and the coach he commits' to leaves
  • He still has an opportunity to stay with VCU but the opportunity to play at his dream in state school and for a coach that he has a relationship with pulls him to NC State
  • Unfortunately, another player with whom the coach has a longer relationship with decommits from Ohio State when they have a coaching change and becomes immediately eligible almost guaranteeing Batts will only see limited time.
  • Batts leaves and goes to another in state school to play for a coach from the Shaka tree and plays well.
  • Unfortunately, a player from the class behind him impresses the coach more and the following season, Batts losing time to a sophomore.
Looking at his stats two things stick out

• He plays better against higher level competition(small sample size)
  • He struggles alot if he doesn't start
If you are a school looking to bring him in, you better be ready too make him a starter if history is any indication

Batts has a bigger problem in that he is an absolute horrible outside shooter, and that's what has cost him playing time at both NC State and UNC Asheville. This last year he was 7 - 40 from the three point line. Good programs are looking for guards that can shoot from outside. Most of Batts' points come from fast break layups.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
I wonder how Batts would have done under our system. But then again, we underwent two different coaching changes. I think some programs don't give kids time to develop (perhaps because they don't need to as they can recruit those who don't need development time) and then you have programs that may not have the expertise in developing talent.....shooting, defense, whatever.
We may be a bit more of the former than the latter yet I think those we believe can play a role on the team do get good player development. But sometimes certain players just don't have what is needed.....or they get recruited over. Even by us.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I wonder how Batts would have done under our system. But then again, we underwent two different coaching changes. I think some programs don't give kids time to develop (perhaps because they don't need to as they can recruit those who don't need development time) and then you have programs that may not have the expertise in developing talent.....shooting, defense, whatever.
We may be a bit more of the former than the latter yet I think those we believe can play a role on the team do get good player development. But sometimes certain players just don't have what is needed.....or they get recruited over. Even by us.

Batts has proven at two different college stops that he does not have an outside game. I don't think VCU could have changed that. Shooting 17.5% from three, 55.9% from the free throw line and averaging 4.9 ppg at UNC Asheville is NOT going to get you much playing time, if any, at VCU.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
Batts has proven at two different college stops that he does not have an outside game. Shooting 17.5% from three, 55.9% from the free throw line and averaging 4.9 ppg at UNC Asheville is NOT going to get you much playing time, if any, at VCU.
Not sure what happened to him this year but in his first year at Asheville he shot 50% FG, 29% 3pt, and 72% FT.

In comparison, Ace shot 37 FG%, 26 3P%, and 77 FT%. So are you saying that Ace too doesn't have an outside game and thus shouldn't get playing time at VCU?

Yes, I am being sarcastic but take your blinders off when you make your statements. Something obviously happened with Batts this year in comparison to last year. And no, I don't think Batts can play at the level of VCU. My previous post was not so much about him playing here, it was more about if Batts would have chosen a mid-level program (maybe CAA) and stayed at one place for 4 years, would he have been able to develop. I think he listen too much to his handlers/dad who told him he could be an NBA star and to go play at a level he wasn't prepared for. That said, he was a 4 star rated recruit and a 20 point+ shooter in HS