Former Recruits and Players

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
They have to have the biggest revolving door in the country.
They don't as hard as it is to believe. In the past three years DePaul has had the same number and College of Charleston has had 1 more leave than Duquesne. Pretty confident I could find others but I figured 3 minutes was enough time spent on it ;)

Reactions: Wolfpack Ram

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Was he under a 2.6 when he left VCU?

What does that have to do with it? The original school owns the APR, not the school the player transfers to.

This is from an SI article:

"Under the current APR formula, each player earns one point for staying in school and one point for being academically eligible. Transferring players would cost a school the retention point."

This is from the NCAA:

"The APR is calculated as follows:

• Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one point for staying in school and one point for being academically eligible.
  • A team’s total points are divided by points possible and then multiplied by 1,000 to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate.
  • In addition to a team’s current-year APR, its rolling four-year APR is also used to determine accountability.
Teams must earn a four-year average APR of 930 to compete in championships."

artRAMinMN

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
"When a transferring athlete has a GPA of 2.60 or higher, their team can receive an APR “adjustment” so that they won’t lose the retention point for that athlete. As a result, that team’s APR won’t be negatively impacted by the athlete’s transfer."

Tbh, I'm not 100% sure that site's info is legit, but I think it might be?

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
"When a transferring athlete has a GPA of 2.60 or higher, their team can receive an APR “adjustment” so that they won’t lose the retention point for that athlete. As a result, that team’s APR won’t be negatively impacted by the athlete’s transfer."

Tbh, I'm not 100% sure that site's info is legit, but I think it might be?

I did not see any mention of that on the NCAA site. It might be buried somewhere else in the language, but it wasn't listed as part of the basic rules/regulations regarding APR.

Reactions: artRAMinMN

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
There are two different metrics which sometime get crossed. Academic Progress Rate(APR) and Graduation Success Rate(GSR).
  • For APR a transfer is less impactful than a drop out and the same as someone leaving to pursue other options, as long as they were academically eligible(Important to note the eligibility is higher to play sports than it is to take classes. I don't remember the exact number but it something like 2.0 to take classes but 2.3 to play sports. This is important because if a player fails to meet the NCAA gpa to participate but is still eligible to take classes and remains in school, that player counts the same against the APR as an eligible player that transferred or otherwise left school
  • For GSR the question has to parts. Is a player likely to graduate or does a player graduate. As a freshman you have the potential to fall into three categories. A graduate, a transfer in good standing(which is called a likely graduate, or a non graduate). SR count Graduates and likely graduates the same. Transfers in also can end up in one of those three categories. Now if John enrolls at ABC College and transfers in good standing to XYZ college. John is a considered a likely graduate in ABC's GSR. If John then does not graduate, he is considered a non graduate in XYZ's GSR
    • As a side note the Federal Graduation Rate metric considers all transfers as non graduates

This is my understanding. Do not us in a court of law incase I misinterpreted something 8-)

artRAMinMN

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I did not see any mention of that on the NCAA site. It might be buried somewhere else in the language, but it wasn't listed as part of the basic rules/regulations regarding APR.
I certainly haven't done a deep dive, so I wouldn't try to claim any authority here, but this is something I had seen reference to from others before as well. I know I had gotten pretty worried about APR when we went through the spate of transfers with the 3 coaches in 4 years period, which is when this adjustment topic bubbled up as reassurance.