Former Recruits and Players

This is something that we touch on in some of our past episodes, so there is a quasi plug to check out our other episodes. That being said, it's a great question that we will ask for his take, because pretty much anyone who plays overseas either goes through it or has heard tales of it.
Here is our YouTube Channel btw.

Offhand, I recall Tony Skinn, Devin Sweetney, Tyreek Duren all talking about not getting paid. Shane Lawal, when he played for Barcelona, got paid EARLY...which is definitely not the norm. Jon Arledge didn't have an issue with not getting paid per se, but he got paid such a low amount in an expensive country to live in (Switzerland). That, AND the club fined him under some...shady circumstances.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Here is our YouTube Channel btw.

Offhand, I recall Tony Skinn, Devin Sweetney, Tyreek Duren all talking about not getting paid. Shane Lawal, when he played for Barcelona, got paid EARLY...which is definitely not the norm. Jon Arledge didn't have an issue with not getting paid per se, but he got paid such a low amount in an expensive country to live in (Switzerland). That, AND the club fined him under some...shady circumstances.
Paid EARLY? That’s bizarre. I might have to check some of these videos out.

Paid EARLY? That’s bizarre. I might have to check some of these videos out.
Yep. Granted, that was Barcelona (same club as the soccer team), Spain is generally is a great place to play, and Barca is in EuroLeague. Shane and his teammates would joke with the staff that they were late if the money wasn't in the account when they woke up or something silly like that.

rammad90

Elite Member
This is something that we touch on in some of our past episodes, so there is a quasi plug to check out our other episodes. That being said, it's a great question that we will ask for his take, because pretty much anyone who plays overseas either goes through it or has heard tales of it.
What's the average salary in the better/top leagues? Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Israel, and Russia?

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
What's the average salary in the better/top leagues? Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Israel, and Russia?

scroll through this, there are a number of tables with avg ranges by country/level, organized by region. Survey based, but seems to jive with expectations.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
scroll through this, there are a number of tables with avg ranges by country/level, organized by region. Survey based, but seems to jive with expectations.

Pretty much. The European leagues have always paid the best.

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
I LOVE seeing our former players, VCU goats, still loving and supporting this program so strongly, like this. Makes my heart swell! It takes a whle heck of a lot more than just players and coaches to make a program, so many doing everything they can to make it succeed, that's one thing (very thankfully) VCU has! People go out of their way to make it Family... Ramily.

rammad90

Elite Member

Thanks PRock!

The answer is really pretty complicated. Imports will typically earn the most. Some of the guys in the very top of EuroLeague are likely making a few million per year. Asia pays really, really well. China is an up and coming league and pays well, but Japan and South Korea aren't as good basketball-wise, but pay really, really well.

Another huge caveat is some teams play games (won't pay, pay late, fine people arbitrarily, etc.). Also, some of the contracts that are signed may not match what someone is actually paid or even has language which prohibits the player from discussing their contract terms.