Former Recruits and Players

rammad90

Elite Member
Didnt know where to post but just watched SS Marquette team. They looked really good on O and D? How is he getting it down without Mike and WW only the Shadow knows.

They looked like us but more organized off offense.

Marquette is shaping up to be one of the best teams in the country. Wonder why. Couldn't be good coaching or anything....no, not that. Ah well, back to dreaming about VCU going on a 16 game winning streak so that we can be First Eight Out of this year's NCAA Tournament.

Bluey

Elite Member
Insider
Didnt know where to post but just watched SS Marquette team. They looked really good on O and D? How is he getting it down without Mike and WW only the Shadow knows.

They looked like us but more organized off offense.
It helps that seven of the top nine are returnees who played good minutes last year. Continuity brings out the best in coaching

rammad90

Elite Member
It helps that seven of the top nine are returnees who played good minutes last year. Continuity brings out the best in coaching
You are correct "continuity brings out the best in coaching" In this case that'd be true if it were true. It isnt. Shaka's Golden Eagles lost talent, leadership, scoring, rebounding and rim protection. Yet they have improved.

Marquette didnt returnee a double digit scorer. 3 of the top 4 scorers left and the one that returned only averaged 7.4 points.

So yeah as stated SS is doing a heck of a coaching job developing guys, preparing guys for new roles, and even doing so well that Rams fans think he returned a lot of experience. Now that's coaching.

Marquette lost Justin Lewis to the draft Justin was 1st team all Big East and the leading score and rebounder 16.9 and 7.9. 32 starts, 32 minutes.

They also lost Daryll Morsell the 2nd leading scorer and 4th leading rebounder 13.4, 3.6, and 2nd in assists 2.5 and former Big Ten defender of the year to graduation. Started all 31 games and just under 30 minutes

They lost Gregg Elliott 5th year Senior 5th leading scorer to transfer he's at Pitt but last year he averaged 7 points 2 rebounds, and 1 steal and 1 assist. 5 starts and about 17 minutes.

Also, lost Kur Kuath 6'10 center who started all 32 games, 19 minutes at 5.6 points . 3.9 rebounds, and 2.5 blocks. Grad Senior.

Marquette lost 4 top guys out of their rotation. Those 4 were at the top of that rotation. 3 Seniors 2 who were 5th year guys, and best playe ( a non senior) including their starting center second leading rebounder and rim protector. They averaged about 77 points per game and they lost about 44 points or almost 60% of their scoring, They averaged about 32 rebounds per games 17.5 rebounds or about 55 percent of their rebound, and 5.2 blocks losing 3.6 blocks or about 69 percent.

Hey HalfBaked and Geode you guys want to take back your likes as your boy doesnt have his facts straight. Heck they arent even close.

Finally, it helps when you develop a big that averaged 1.5 points as a little used freshmen into a stud big man that is a double digit scorer who just about doubled his rebounding average every year?

Last edited:

Bluey

Elite Member
Insider
You are correct "continuity brings out the best in coaching" In this case that'd be true if it were true. It isnt. Shaka's Golden Eagles lost talent, leadership, scoring, rebounding and rim protection. Yet they have improved.

Marquette didnt returnee a double digit scorer. 3 of the top 4 scorers left and the one that returned only averaged 7.4 points.

So yeah as stated SS is doing a heck of a coaching job developing guys, preparing guys for new roles, and even doing so well that Rams fans think he returned a lot of experience. Now that's coaching.

Marquette lost Justin Lewis to the draft Justin was 1st team all Big East and the leading score and rebounder 16.9 and 7.9. 32 starts, 32 minutes.

They also lost Daryll Morsell the 2nd leading scorer and 4th leading rebounder 13.4, 3.6, and 2nd in assists 2.5 and former Big Ten defender of the year to graduation. Started all 31 games and just under 30 minutes

They lost Gregg Elliott 5th year Senior 5th leading scorer to transfer he's at Pitt but last year he averaged 7 points 2 rebounds, and 1 steal and 1 assist. 5 starts and about 17 minutes.

Also, lost Kur Kuath 6'10 center who started all 32 games, 19 minutes at 5.6 points . 3.9 rebounds, and 2.5 blocks. Grad Senior.

Marquette lost 4 top guys out of their rotation. Those 4 were at the top of that rotation. 3 Seniors 2 who were 5th year guys, and best playe ( a non senior) including their starting center second leading rebounder and rim protector. They averaged about 77 points per game and they lost about 44 points or almost 60% of their scoring, They averaged about 32 rebounds per games 17.5 rebounds or about 55 percent of their rebound, and 5.2 blocks losing 3.6 blocks or about 69 percent.

Hey HalfBaked and Geode you guys want to take back your likes as your boy doesnt have his facts straight. Heck they arent even close.

All interesting points, seven of the top nine returned, that is a good thing and Shaka is a good coach. Those two things together lead to good outcomes.

Finally, it helps when you develop a big that averaged 1.5 points as a little used freshmen into a stud big man that is a double digit scorer who just about doubled his rebounding average every year?

ramluvr99

Insider
how are we feeling about our chances getting a player drafted three years in a row? I don't see how it could happen tbh, but maybe if Nunn really turns it on or if a team thinks they could use shriver or johns.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
how are we feeling about our chances getting a player drafted three years in a row? I don't see how it could happen tbh, but maybe if Nunn really turns it on or if a team thinks they could use shriver or johns.
Maybe an outside chance for Ace or Jayden but I think they'll most likely be back next year. Same for JJ. Brandon has a lot of tools but he strikes me more as a high level overseas league guy - would love to be proven wrong, though.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Nunn has the best chance of any, IMO, and he was showing up on some mock drafts as a second-rounder before the season started. I don't think he enters the draft this year, though. Maybe next year.

Brandon has a lot of tools but he strikes me more as a high level overseas league guy - would love to be proven wrong, though.
Honestly, I could see him entering the draft since he's a player a lot of teams want (a big guy who can shoot threes and play solid defense) but realistically he'll probably play in one of the better overseas leagues.

Mercury

Elite Member
Nunn has the best chance of any, IMO, and he was showing up on some mock drafts as a second-rounder before the season started. I don't think he enters the draft this year, though. Maybe next year.

Honestly, I could see him entering the draft since he's a player a lot of teams want (a big guy who can shoot threes and play solid defense) but realistically he'll probably play in one of the better overseas leagues.

Johns hasn't show much in the way of 3 point shooting during his time here.

If the NBA follows through on lowering the draft age in '24 I'd bet a lot of college players get squeezed out of that one.

SteveMM

Elite Member
My first thought on this was that Johns was too "old" to be drafted. I looked it up and he just turned 23 in December. That's young for a fifth year senior in these days where a lot of players take a prep year. He looks older than he is, which isn't a bad thing. With all of that said, I suspect you're right. I could easily see in him the G League or a higher level overseas league, but I don't think he gets drafted into the NBA. Then again, I had doubts about Bones *and* Vince Williams in the draft, so what do I know?