mglitos

Top Member
Insider
May 11, 2009
I’ve been trying to find the right words to convey my feelings after VCUs latest warm-weather catastrophe. Florida, a three-point loss to Purdue, and then Tennessee. I found them earlier today.
Calm the heck down.
It isn’t as if these are uncharted waters. In fact, it’s EVERY DAMNED SEASON:

2010-11: that team lost to Tennessee and South Florida to start 4-2; did pretty well in the NCAA tournament if memory serves.
2011-12: lost to Georgia Tech, Seton Hall, and Alabama to go 3-3. Won a game in the NCAA tournament.
2012-13: lost to Wichita State, Duke and Missouri to go 3-3. Won a game in the NCAA tournament.
2013-14: lost to Florida State and Georgetown to go 4-2. Went to the NCAA tournament.
2014-15: lost to Villanova (by about 600), ODU, and Virginia to go 5-3.  Went to the NCAA tournament.
2015-16: lost to Duke and Wisconsin to go 2-2, then Florida State, Georgia Tech, and Cincinnati to go 5-5. Won a game in the NCAA tournament.
2016-17: lost to Baylor, Illinois, and Georgia...
Continue reading...

JDI

Insider
Apr 20, 2009
According to some on this board mglitos just threw ME under the bus.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
[QUOTE]Marcus Evans has to play better. Multiple players have to stop forcing things.[/QUOTE]

Now if only someone could figure out a polite way to tell this to our guys so that it will sink in.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
[QUOTE]Marcus Evans has to play better. Multiple players have to stop forcing things.
Now if only someone could figure out a polite way to tell this to our guys so that it will sink in.
[/QUOTE]
I am more than sure Rhoades is delivering the message...minus the polite part.

RAM_IT

Top Member
Aug 19, 2013
Either you have high expectations or people think you can't play. With Evans, most of us have high expectations, so what - he earned the attention and has those expectations for himself too. He has played good but not great. Its a little disappointing for everyone because we all want to see the same thing but I haven't seen anyone overly critical or negative.

Reactions: SWV

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I am no basketball savant, but my thought start Bones at the 1 and shift ME to the 2. I think that would take the pressure off him.
But that means either IV or Simms sits, so who knows.... glad its not my problem.....
Not entirely against that idea, however, what happens if Bones gets in early foul trouble in this scenario. Which is possible, after all Bones is only a freshman, so there will be mistakes made at some points. So what if he gets in early foul trouble, do you start playing Crowfield at the point again? Do you have DJ run the point? Or do you shift Evans back to the Point.... in which case you're right back where we are now.... with Evans trying to do too much & turning the ball over too much.

I think what Litos said, which I quoted earlier is spot on. Evans needs to play better & multiple players need to stop forcing things..... that's both bad shots & bad passes. If we do those things.... it doesn't matter whether we start Bones or Evans at the point.

We had the same issue last year where Evans had 6 turnovers in back to back games (Temple, which we managed to win... DJ also had 5 that game; and St. John's which we lost.... whether you think Evans was fouled or not, whether you think it was a good shot or a terrible one). He also had 6 turnovers against College of Charleston... which we lost.

You're not going to win many games when one of your best players turns the ball over 6 times.... and most of them were unforced turnovers.

Reactions: Mistachill
Jul 27, 2017
I am no basketball savant, but my thought start Bones at the 1 and shift ME to the 2. I think that would take the pressure off him.
But that means either IV or Simms sits, so who knows.... glad its not my problem.....
When Evans plays with patience he is great at the one. I remember last year he was having these same issues early in the year and it did get better. Anyone remember his performance in the UVA game last year? As the year went on he got better and better.

Maybe Bones does need to play more, but I do not feel we are as good with him as the point guard and ME as a shooting guard. Especially defensively. Maybe the solution is to run the offense through Deri and MSS with ME as the third option. ME is a great competitor but I just do not feel he is as talented as those two guys offensively. Part of it is Deri needs to be a little more aggressive.

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN