Recruiting Freddie Dilione

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
Again, you people get discouraged way too easily. I have no idea where Freddie will end up and I don't expect we will get a decision until the fall but this was neither unexpected nor a death knell. If you've been following closely, you know he's been gathering high level offers for the last month. We are still very much in it.

Last edited:
@LQuarles also pulls for UVA sort of like I also pull for UNC.
Your school doesn’t compete with us for players generally though(Atleast directly minus like Kenny Williams.) and we never play each other. If a recruit skips us I’m not gonna be like I hope they go VT!! If a player isn’t coming here I sure as heck ain’t rooting for them stay in the area to face us.

vcu_baum

Elite Member
We are still considered the leaders to land him based on what on3 had to say. But is it looking more and more unrealistic as he gets these huge offers

vcu_baum

Elite Member
I guess I'm in minority but I want to go after kids that are getting big time offers
I do too. We all want to get the best kids possible! I think we have a really good chance at Dilione but I think we need to get him sooner rather than later

I guess I'm in minority but I want to go after kids that are getting big time offers
There’s room for balance. I mean realistically our odds of landing major recruits 20-30% these days. Under Shaka maybe 40-60%. It’s worth trying to land that one major one but we can’t put all our focus on it and miss out on more realistic options.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
There’s room for balance. I mean realistically our odds of landing major recruits 20-30% these days. Under Shaka maybe 40-60%. It’s worth trying to land that one major one but we can’t put all our focus on it and miss out on more realistic options.
I think we look at back at Shaka's recruiting through rose-colored glasses. After the FF he had one monster class for us and another that dipped when he did. I think in terms of HS recruiting, we are in as good a place as we ever have been (using star/247 rankings as the coin of the realm, which in this context seems unavoidable).

rampart

Elite Member
Your school doesn’t compete with us for players generally though(Atleast directly minus like Kenny Williams.) and we never play each other. If a recruit skips us I’m not gonna be like I hope they go VT!! If a player isn’t coming here I sure as heck ain’t rooting for them stay in the area to face us.
If he's a high priority for us and we've invested a lot of effort in recruiting him but he decides not to come here, I hope it's for the G-league. Second choice would be U. of Hawaii. If he chooses UVA, I think it will be because he sees a better chance of getting playing time there.

rampart

Elite Member
Of course we want five-star recruits (e.g., Bacot) but I think part of our strategy may be just to get our logo on the Rivals page with the high major schools that a recruit has offers from and/or is considering. That normalizes us in the conversation and gets us into players' minds as an option..

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
Of course we want five-star recruits (e.g., Bacot) but I think part of our strategy may be just to get our logo on the Rivals page with the high major schools that a recruit has offers from and/or is considering. That normalizes us in the conversation and gets us into players' minds as an option..
Recruiting Freddie is not about optics. We have a real shot. Unlike Bacot.