Recruiting Freddie Dilione

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
@Ramdog
Guys....look a page back.. dillione is coming in for an official visit next month. VCU is still in play!!!

I sincerely hope I'm wrong....but we've seen how this kind of musical chairs works WITHOUT "above the board" monetary influence. I'm just not sure what elite recruiting (4 star and above for us) will look like going forward.

Again, I hope I'm wrong and Young Mr. Dilione finds VCU to be the right fit.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
I sincerely hope I'm wrong....but we've seen how this kind of musical chairs works WITHOUT "above the board" monetary influence. I'm just not sure what elite recruiting (4 star and above for us) will look like going forward.

Again, I hope I'm wrong and Young Mr. Dilione finds VCU to be the right fit.
Yeah, it becomes tough when the P5s come calling, even without waving a lot of cash around. But if we are going after great players, we know others will want them too. We will get some of them, but we will lose more than we will get.
I'm hopeful Freddie Dilione has built such a good relationship, over time, that he recognizes VCU will be a great place for him and he can fulfill all his dreams here.

Ramdog

Elite Member
Yeah, it becomes tough when the P5s come calling, even without waving a lot of cash around. But if we are going after great players, we know others will want them too. We will get some of them, but we will lose more than we will get.
I'm hopeful Freddie Dilione has built such a good relationship, over time, that he recognizes VCU will be a great place for him and he can fulfill all his dreams here.
And he is independently wealthy

duncanlamb

Elite Member
It's like we didn't JUST ADD two top 100 players.
It's like Dilione hasn't said over and over how VCU's style of play fits him and how he plans an official visit.

Look at the on3 ranking and Guys we are really involved with.

28 Parker
60 dillion
67 green
73 jackson
96 demary Jr.

That's pretty darn good.

I can't say that we pick at least one if not 2 of those listed above.

And he is independently wealthy

P5 can improve that wealth. We’re now battling for players where players know this could be their big chance to hit it big if basketball doesn’t work out career wise. This isn’t knock on Rhoades but even Shaka in his prime recruiting days with us would have his hands full. Even during our days when we were top 50 in revenue. It was a mismatch before. Now it’s climbing Everest competing with the P5 in recruiting.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
P5 can improve that wealth. We’re now battling for players where players know this could be their big chance to hit it big if basketball doesn’t work out career wise. This isn’t knock on Rhoades but even Shaka in his prime recruiting days with us would have his hands full. Even during our days when we were top 50 in revenue. It was a mismatch before. Now it’s climbing Everest competing with the P5 in recruiting.
Lots of flags on top of Everest! but agreed, it is only getting harder.

RAMification

Elite Member
It's like we didn't JUST ADD two top 100 players.

How very quickly people forget that we just inked two top 100 prospects, one being a 6'10" big. In the age of NIL guys like Freddie will be substantially harder to get, but certainly not impossible by any means. NIL will not be a foreign term at VCU either. It amazes me that everyone wants consensus 4* guys, preferably top 100, but when we recruit them and people see all the P6 schools involved they want to write them off immediately. We have secured our fair share of these kids over the years. Back in the Chuck Noe era we had two guards who were actually rated as 5- Stars. Later Lamb and Ducan were referred to by a number of recruiting services as the best incoming backcourt in the nation when we inked them. Kendrick Warren was top 5 nationally. It goes on and on people. If you genuinely want to move the needle and take the program to the next level you have to recruit the best, within reason. Do your research. VCU has long been a player for high caliber prospects. Mike is trying to take that to the next level. I for one applaud him for it and he is succeeding. Again, recruiting 101, if you don't recruit the best players you will have no shot at getting them. Thank God our staff does not have the pessimism of many on these boards. It seems if we recruit 4* guys many believe they are unattainable and If we recruit 3* guys we are failing.

I think this young man wants to hear from the "Blue Bloods", but come to VCU and prove something. Just a hunch...

Beancounter

Elite Member
VCU is THE major sports item in RVA. I think that should bode well going forward for NIL. Billups being a hometown player if he shines he should garner some NIL money I would think same with guys like Ace. We may have more to offer than many people believe in recruiting with NIL.