Recruiting Freddie Dilione

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
We're involved with a lot of 4*/top 100 types. We'll lose out on most of them. Has always been thus. It's that way for just about all the P6 programs too.

One thing that has turned in our favor in the modern era: P6 programs are more and more looking to the portal to fill their rosters and are seeing/offering fewer HS kids. I am convinced that that fact (and the end-of-the-earth prep school he attended) helped us snag Lawal.

Freddie has no shortage of P6 opportunities, but the staff has built a long-term relationship with him. May end up a Ram; might not. Staff certainly isn't going to give up even if some here would

Ramlove81

Elite Member
VCU is THE major sports item in RVA. I think that should bode well going forward for NIL. Billups being a hometown player if he shines he should garner some NIL money I would think same with guys like Ace. We may have more to offer than many people believe in recruiting with NIL.
yes, NIL can work multiple ways. So much of what we hear about is the big doner NIL. Guys somehow getting NIL promised before they ever step foot on the campus. Another way it works is what you're talking about. Our guys are popular all over the metro area. Businesses would be crazy not to have them sponsoring their stuff. There is a lot of money to be made for our players.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
We're involved with a lot of 4*/top 100 types. We'll lose out on most of them. Has always been thus. It's that way for just about all the P6 programs too.

One thing that has turned in our favor in the modern era: P6 programs are more and more looking to the portal to fill their rosters and are seeing/offering fewer HS kids. I am convinced that that fact (and the end-of-the-earth prep school he attended) helped us snag Lawal.

Freddie has no shortage of P6 opportunities, but the staff has built a long-term relationship with him. May end up a Ram; might not. Staff certainly isn't going to give up even if some here would
Exactly, and if we don't get Freddie, look at the other guys we're in with. Demary just looks like he already bleeds VCU, the Carrington guy from St. Frances in B-more, El Marko Jackson, Laurent rice... and that's the short list. We get any one of those guys and it's a great get for us, we get two of them? Wow! And that's a definite possibility. Oh, but the waiting is hard, isn't it.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
He is going to make some P5 team very happy.
bunk-disappointed.gif

I wonder if people get actual joy out of doing this.

Like, if you gave me the field vs VCU in this, I'm absolutely taking the field, so statistically it seems more likely than not he ends up someplace else. But the number of VCU fans who elbow their way to the front of the line to be first to declare that we are out of a recruitment, when the kid says we are in, never fails to amaze me.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
bunk-disappointed.gif

Like, if you gave me the field vs VCU in this, I'm absolutely taking the field, so statistically it seems more likely than not he ends up someplace else. But the number of VCU fans who elbow their way to the front of the line to be first to declare that we are out of a recruitment, when the kid says we are in, never fails to amaze me.
The field is usually a solid bet.

RAMification

Elite Member
bunk-disappointed.gif

Like, if you gave me the field vs VCU in this, I'm absolutely taking the field, so statistically it seems more likely than not he ends up someplace else. But the number of VCU fans who elbow their way to the front of the line to be first to declare that we are out of a recruitment, when the kid says we are in, never fails to
I don't understand this mentality either. Everyone clamors for 4* top 100 recruits then exhibits great pessimism in terms of our ability to ink them. We have been remarkably successful in recruiting at a high level. There is no reason that should stop now. With his offer sheet Freddie will be a tough get, but he has already committed to an official visit sometime in June. You don't compromise limited visits for no reason. He is interested in VCU and Mike and Company jumped him early before his big blow-up. He's in play at this time.

A lot of these kids are very much a tune to what Bones did. They quote Bone's all the time in the recruiting reports. They understand that it's very possible to come to VCU and be a 1 or 2 and done. You may actually be able to showcase yourself better than at many P6,s.

Sethjax

Elite Member
Man, VCU has been in early on plenty of great players before they blew up (Anthony Davis, etc) and it’s just baked into the equation that if a kid is reaaaally good you’re gonna either have to have some mighty fine personal connection with him or the bigs will likely lure him away…and even then they might till pull him. Fortunately there’s a mighty fine connection here so at least we still have a good shot.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
I don't understand this mentality either. Everyone clamors for 4* top 100 recruits then exhibits great pessimism in terms of our ability to ink them. We have been remarkably successful in recruiting at a high level. There is no reason that should stop now. With his offer sheet Freddie will be a tough get, but he has already committed to an official visit sometime in June. You don't compromise limited visits for no reason. He is interested in VCU and Mike and Company jumped him early before his big blow-up. He's in play at this time.

A lot of these kids are very much a tune to what Bones did. They quote Bone's all the time in the recruiting reports. They understand that it's very possible to come to VCU and be a 1 or 2 and done. You may actually be able to showcase yourself better than at many P6,s.
It's like there's a prize for being first to say we have no shot.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Man, VCU has been in early on plenty of great players before they blew up (Anthony Davis, etc) and it’s just baked into the equation that if a kid is reaaaally good you’re gonna either have to have some mighty fine personal connection with him or the bigs will likely lure him away…and even then they might till pull him. Fortunately there’s a mighty fine connection here so at least we still have a good shot.
Anthony Davis?