Friday, November 19th, 1999 The first Game at the Siegel Center. VCU vs Louisville

Of course I was there, just as I was present for opening of New Franklin Street ... and first game at Coliseum.

Here's the most amazing Siegel stat - it wasn't a sellout, Lousiville vs. VCU ... nowadays students would camp out for days for a similar ticket ... players weren't much better then, if at all, but the atmosphere was totally different. I feel for the "oldtimers."

Rams have never lost to a clearly inferior opponent at The Stu - but it almost happened in an OT win over Delaware State in first season ...

BigE

Elite Member
Of course I was there, just as I was present for opening of New Franklin Street ... and first game at Coliseum.

Here's the most amazing Siegel stat - it wasn't a sellout, Lousiville vs. VCU ... nowadays students would camp out for days for a similar ticket ... players weren't much better then, if at all, but the atmosphere was totally different. I feel for the "oldtimers."

Rams have never lost to a clearly inferior opponent at The Stu - but it almost happened in an OT win over Delaware State in first season ...

also saw Maryland beat Fur at the RC opening

ramin75

Elite Member
It was pretty close to a sellout. The place was rockin. I think some of the luster was off because of our journey in the wilderness for a year. I remain grateful to fur for allowing us to rent their place. Epic game all things considered. Still have my ticket. Remember some of the whacky promos to get the fans fired up. T-shirt guy?

VCUPepBandRules

Elite Member
I wasn't there, but I do have the old sign that commemorates the opening game decorating my office.
DSC01166.JPG
Pulled it out of one of the trash bins a few months ago. I'm guessing that they tossed it because Verizon Wireless isn't our sponsor anymore, the Rams logo has changed, and we are no longer in the CAA. But since the back light wasn't included I'm also speculating that they made a new one...

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
I wasn't there, but I do have the old sign that commemorates the opening game decorating my office.
View attachment 4161
Pulled it out of one of the trash bins a few months ago. I'm guessing that they tossed it because Verizon Wireless isn't our sponsor anymore, the Rams logo has changed, and we are no longer in the CAA. But since the back light wasn't included I'm also speculating that they made a new one...

Looks similar to the one they had up in the Siegel Center's concourse area before they installed the Final Four display.

Mistachill

Elite Member
I was there. They were ranked at the time and we thought it was a major win but I think Louisville went on to have a bad season that year.

VCUPepBandRules

Elite Member
Looks similar to the one they had up in the Siegel Center's concourse area before they installed the Final Four display.
I'm sure it is the one they had up before the Final Four display.
I'm not sure where it ended up after that but it took several years until it found its way to a trash bin, and then a couple more months before it finally made it to my office here on the medical campus...

RamDanFan

Elite Member
Still have my ticket. A very fancy commemorative ticket I might add.

VCUFTW

Elite Member
On this day (November 21, 2009) VCU beat #17 Oklahoma in Jeff Capel's return and VCU fans, including myself, stormed the court.

I was there too. Like Wolfpack, I have my tickets framed. What a game!

2012Ram

Elite Member
On this day (November 21, 2009) VCU beat #17 Oklahoma in Jeff Capel's return and VCU fans, including myself, stormed the court.
First and last court storming I've participated in.