Future of the Power 5

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
My sincere apologies if I shouldn't have started a new thread, but I didn't know where else to post this.

An article was just published showing that 61% of P5 schools favored breaking away to form their own governing body. The survey was conducted by the Knight Foundation. Interestingly enough, a spokesman for that organization said the new governing body would oversee all college sports except basketball. This would seemingly imply that a breakaway scenario wouldn't necessarily adversely effect our hoops program, right? Am I missing something?

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
This has been coming for a while. It will be one more nail in amateur athletics at the collegiate level. I think it will also hurt the mid major smaller schools athletic programs (football, and basketball esp.) in the long run.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
My sincere apologies if I shouldn't have started a new thread, but I didn't know where else to post this.

An article was just published showing that 61% of P5 schools favored breaking away to form their own governing body. The survey was conducted by the Knight Foundation. Interestingly enough, a spokesman for that organization said the new governing body would oversee all college sports except basketball. This would seemingly imply that a breakaway scenario wouldn't necessarily adversely effect our hoops program, right? Am I missing something?

Let me bold the relevant part for VCU(as it relates to our revenue generating sport) because someone will miss it although you pointed it out.

"These 65 schools would become a completely new division of the NCAA in all sports except basketball," said Michael Cross, a Knight Commission consultant who summarized the question.

Dec 16, 2013
This has been coming for a while. It will be one more nail in amateur athletics at the collegiate level. I think it will also hurt the mid major smaller schools athletic programs (football, and basketball esp.) in the long run.
expect if passed that in many sports the P5 will probably not play teams that are not in their division in most sports that have small schedules - I still imagine baseball game against UVA or tennis matches against the P5s etc

and clearly I would look at this (if it happens) as a STEP to plant the flag that a move from basketball inclusion of all conferences in the tournament is inevitable

Reactions: SpiderRAM

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Let me bold the relevant part for VCU(as it relates to our revenue generating sport) because someone will miss it although you pointed it out.

"These 65 schools would become a completely new division of the NCAA in all sports except basketball," said Michael Cross, a Knight Commission consultant who summarized the question.
..... for now...........

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
..... for now...........
Could it change sure but honestly, you could say that about a lot of things. The glaring difference I see is that the Football Revenue generator is driven by the top teams playing on the biggest stage. Ball St vs Alabama is not a huge bowl game revenue generator. March Madness(the basketball revenue generator) is more geared toward the David vs Goliath.

AS the article states, there are 65 P5 schools and even if we add in the "P6" that is still not enough of teams to keep March Madness in its current format which it needs to be to continue paying shares at the current distribution. Looking back at the last 10 tournaments, VCU/Butler ranks 5th for viewership for the early session final four games. That is ahead of matchups like Villanova/Kansas, Uconn/Florida, or Virginia/Auburn just to name a few.

Bottom line for me is it doesn't make sense for football to be grouped with schools that don't have the financial position to compete on the national stage. Basketball is far different and everybody can benefit,

Mar 2, 2014
So if this goes through, I think we will see the P5 schools expand their conferences again. Quite a few schools would be left out. Service academies, Boise State, BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati to name a few.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Another reason for us to keep arm's length from football.

In basketball, the NCAA owns the tournament and the tournament is the money-maker. And the P5 are disproportionately favored in the current NCAAT structure so they have less incentive to create their own tournament.

Dec 16, 2013

In basketball, the NCAA owns the tournament and the tournament is the money-maker. And the P5 are disproportionately favored in the current NCAAT structure so they have less incentive to create their own tournament.
pretty hard to argue against the fact that the current NCAAT disproportionately selects more P5 teams by virtue of process they use to select teams - the question I would ask is what is a better system to select teams - no matter what tweaking is done to the factors that comprise the system/tools to select the best teams invariably it ends up selecting too many (my opinion) middle of the pack P5 teams and not enough mid tier teams that cannot play P5 schools in non conference games because the P5 have no incentive to play them
My bias has always been to select more mid and lower tier teams - the excitement of March Madness is the Cinderella stories that happen along the way - How do you devise a fair system to allow that if the system today is 1 per conference and then the next best 35 teams ( I don't know the current number of at large bids so lets just say that number is illustrative and not absolute) - all processes to me have been flawed
my solution is take the tournament up another 32 or so teams and allow each conference to send two teams (perhaps the conference regular season champ and the tournament champ or runner up) and then allow like the top 16 seeds to have a first round bye (or whatever number of byes necessary to get us to 64 teams left after the first round games- )
hold those first round games on tuesday and wednesday similar to what we do with the first 4 - so TV rights money grows too
there still would be 35 or so at large schools that we know will in likelihood go to the same conferences that currently get them - what I don't want to see is an expanded tournament that selects the 9th, 10 and 11th teams in the P5
just spitballing so have at it

go rams

• Angry
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009

The whole country wants to keep the basketball tourney as is...nobody will care if odu ever plays another football game