Greatest Moments In VCU Basketball History

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
That opposing coach was Seth Greenberg. He was the head coach at Long Beach State in 1993.
Seth tweeted out a photo of that team several years ago. I commented that I saw that team play VCU. He responded with a terse tweet back about them beating #1 Kansas. After another response by me he relented and gave VCU and Special K credit. I could tell that loss still sticks in his crawl many years later. Obviously it had an effect on him not wanting to schedule VCU when he was at Va Tech.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
The last time we played Va. Tech was quite a highlight. A 30 point beat down at the coliseum as I recall. Although, that game will probably make the Hokie low lights.
I graduated high school in 2011 and the 2013 VCU-VT matchup was announced while I was a freshman at VCU in the Fall of 2011. For two straight years I told my VT friends that I wanted to beat them by 30 solely for the fact they hadn’t played us in the 21st century.

And then Melvin Johnson started raining threes and the Rams ran the Hokies out of the gym by a difference of 30 points. That was a fun day.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
You did find some older ones to put in. Good luck finding any footage of old ECAC games.
Yeah I'd love to have a tape of the Georgetown playoff game. Two freshmen, Ed Sherrod and Danny Kotak lead us to a big win in DC, of course Ren Watson swatting Georgetown shots left and right helped too. I think that team needs a little more credit as one of the best we have had. That was one of my first road trips to an away game.
BTW great job kingnickgeorge! Love it, even if you don't have a lot of games from the geezer era.

share the ball

Top Member
Dec 16, 2013
Yeah I'd love to have a tape of the Georgetown playoff game. Two freshmen, Ed Sherrod and Danny Kotak lead us to a big win in DC, of course Ren Watson swatting Georgetown shots left and right helped too. I think that team needs a little more credit as one of the best we have had. That was one of my first road trips to an away game.
BTW great job kingnickgeorge! Love it, even if you don't have a lot of games from the geezer era.
Don't disagree that the 78 team was one of the best VCU teams (top 10, no doubt) - led by Gerald Henderson who had the greatest NBA career of all VCU players to date.
Was there too at the Smith Center in DC for this game -
A little remembered tidbit about that game was that Georgetown's star and best player (guard, Derrick Jackson) was rushed to the hospital just hours before the game with stomach issues (thought to be appendicitis at that time and ultimately an ulcer) and missed the game - Basketball gods smiling on the Rams that day - I guess those gods got even with us with Covid cancellation vs Oregon this recent tourney
go Rams

Jan 16, 2020
Also forgotten is Kottak ("The Instamatic") hobbling noticeably on a tender ankle up to game time, doubtful to play at all .... then taking off like a rocket once it really counted ..... I believe he knocked the towel off John Thompson's shoulder with a 28-spot. Kottak's arrival at VCU was result of Kirk's Louisville connections; Penny Elliott came through coach's Tampa contacts; Sherod was result of Kirk quickly making friends in Richmond.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
That was when we started having a band at games. Kirk insisted on that. We did it right. VCU pep band (pre Peppas) also doubled as VCU Jazz Orchestra One. Some of us were talking with one of the ushers. He was amazed by the band, he was a jazz musician, said he worked a lot of games and had never heard a college pep band like that.
We have a long tradition there.

Hops

Top Member
Insider
Jul 14, 2013
This was a sweet video. I also agree that the Georgetown game (which I think was at GW for some reason) was a great game. Kottak draining baseline jumpers; Sleepy Floyd just sleeping. I would also add Briante's diving steal of the rolled in inbounds pass; Ren Watson being the human eraser; and even some moments from the LSU game. There were some amazing moments in the old Franklin Street Gym, too (Bernard Harris, Jessie Dark, ...) - but not sure any video survives from back then.

Dabrie

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
That was when we started having a band at games. Kirk insisted on that. We did it right. VCU pep band (pre Peppas) also doubled as VCU Jazz Orchestra One. Some of us were talking with one of the ushers. He was amazed by the band, he was a jazz musician, said he worked a lot of games and had never heard a college pep band like that.
They were really good. Lots of Stealy Dan.

Reactions: Ramdog

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
I remember Dana being on the weekly Thacker/Packer Report in 1979 saying VCU had the best pep band in the country. Of course, he appeared wearing one of his trademark suits.lol

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
This was a sweet video. I also agree that the Georgetown game (which I think was at GW for some reason) was a great game. Kottak draining baseline jumpers; Sleepy Floyd just sleeping. I would also add Briante's diving steal of the rolled in inbounds pass; Ren Watson being the human eraser; and even some moments from the LSU game. There were some amazing moments in the old Franklin Street Gym, too (Bernard Harris, Jessie Dark, ...) - but not sure any video survives from back then.
Gerald Henderson also played in that Georgetown game. He got in early foul trouble and didn't play much. I think he had 8 points and it snapped one of the longest (if not the longest) double digit scoring streaks in the country at the time.