Green City

Ramaholic

Elite Member
Now that I am thinking about it the Brooklyn District does have Willow Lawn. I get confused about how they are configured.
Monument splits the districts. North side of Monument had Glover, South side had someone else. Because of traffic concerns and site lines, both Supervisors were involved. I have never seen anything like Henrico government disregard citizen wishes over and over as I had with the Hospital expansions. Everytime the hospital grew, the County would ensure the residents (in writting) that they would not cross Maple Ave. or they would not ever build another campus building. And then the County would reneg. I swear, 95% of the residents (many elderly that lived there for most of there lives), would attend the planning meetings at the hospital and dissent and then attend the meetings at the government center and object. The reasons were numerous -traffic, accidents, school bus routes, green space, property values (as the hospital would buy up neighboring houses, then demolish them) ... But most of all, the residents would point to the covenant they had writted by the county, ensuring there would be no growth past maple Ave or on Monument. Somehow it didn't matter. Supervisors would always vote 4-1 against 95% of the residents.
The only hold out was a African-American supervisor from the east end. He would always dissent and say this wasn't his district, but as an elected official his job is to represent the people and that it is clear the people do not want the project.
Anyway, I have owned commercial and residential property in Henrico, I have been involved as an investor with Bryan Kornblau/ Eagle Construction attempt to salvage West Broad Village around 2007 and have performed contract work for Henrico County Water and Watsewater treatment plants (building out the Labs) as well as a few high schools in Henrico. Plans frequently (in fact almost always) change. Designs get reduced or expanded or in some cases scrapped all together. Henrico is substantially better than most localities at getting things done close to the timeline, but man, I will bet anyone that the plans in place today are not going to be the plans the architect signs off when the job is complete and its time to release the final funds to the builder.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I am hopeful it will be, but I will wait till its built. I lived in Henrico (Monument ave) near St Mary's and watched lots of broken promises with the late supervisor Dick Glover and traffic planner Tommy Branen in that area.
Green City is far enough along in its planning that you should feel safe about it happening. This arena is going to be a big win for the region.

2025 should be a huge year for the city. I believe this basketball arena, the new baseball stadium, the new VCU soccer stadium (which I hope they can get the Kickers to play at), and the VMFA expansion are all supposed to open that year.

Green City is far enough along in its planning that you should feel safe about it happening. This arena is going to be a big win for the region.

2025 should be a huge year for the city. I believe this basketball arena, the new baseball stadium, the new VCU soccer stadium (which I hope they can get the Kickers to play at), and the VMFA expansion are all supposed to open that year.
The Kickers literally need to have food trucks to handle crowds of 2k, s yes they need an upgrade in facilities.
I was at the a Kicker game and a Squirrels game both last week.
I have literally been to high school sporting events that had better facilities than the Kickers.

I really do hope Kickers share the field with VCU like baseball and the Squirrels. City Stadium is a dump and neglected like the ugly brown turd bowl.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
City Stadium is a dump, but I enjoy Kickers games a lot more than the Squirrels.

it would be nice to get the Kickers to help fund the soccer stadium like the Squirrels are with the baseball stadium. I’m not sure if that’s a thing or not. They’d gave make it in such a way that accommodated the Red Army and all of the things they do.

ISwamRam

Elite Member
City Stadium is a dump, but I enjoy Kickers games a lot more than the Squirrels.

it would be nice to get the Kickers to help fund the soccer stadium like the Squirrels are with the baseball stadium. I’m not sure if that’s a thing or not. They’d gave make it in such a way that accommodated the Red Army and all of the things they do.
I don't know anything about the finances, but I'd assume baseball has more of it (I assume the $'s flow down to some degree from MLB & further assume MLS hasn't got as much).
Now that I'm a city tax payer (in part)...I better start paying more attention.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I don't know anything about the finances, but I'd assume baseball has more of it (I assume the $'s flow down to some degree from MLB & further assume MLS hasn't got as much).
Now that I'm a city tax payer (in part)...I better start paying more attention.
With the Ukrop’s family association with the Kickers, I wonder if there would be a hesitancy to partner with VCU.

rvaram

Elite Member
Don't the kickers have a long term lease on city stadium?

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Don't the kickers have a long term lease on city stadium?
I’m sure they get it for free as long as they provide upkeep. But if they want to be a good organization and grow, then having decent facilities would help.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
With the Ukrop’s family association with the Kickers, I wonder if there would be a hesitancy to partner with VCU.

Why do you say that? Bobby Ukrop is a lot more closely aligned with VCU than fur ever since fur dropped men's soccer. In fact, he used to have season tickets to VCU basketball.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
Why do you say that? Bobby Ukrop is a lot more closely aligned with VCU than fur ever since fur dropped men's soccer. In fact, he used to have season tickets to VCU basketball.
From my perspective, the Ukrops give a fraction of what they used to give to UR. I have never seen a Ukrop at any VCU donor event (other than a game) and never even caught a white house roll at a game! I think there is potential to do more with them along the soccer front since they are passionate soccer fans.

Last edited:

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
From my perspective, the Ukrops give a fraction of what they used to give to UR. I have never seen a VCU donor Ukrop at any event (other than a game) and never even caught a white house roll at a game!

Bobby Ukrop used to have men's basketball season tickets across the aisle from me. He stepped down from the fur board of visitors and pretty much cut ties with the school when fur decided to drop men's soccer and track. Below is an article relating to him stepping down.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Getting season tickets for VCU games and partnering with VCU on a multimillion dollar soccer stadium that could be shared by VCU and the Kickers are two different things. I have no idea if VCU was even interested in something like that, but I would hope they’d want as the nicest stadium they could get built.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Getting season tickets for VCU games and partnering with VCU on a multimillion dollar soccer stadium that could be shared by VCU and the Kickers are two different things. I have no idea if VCU was even interested in something like that, but I would hope they’d want as the nicest stadium they could get built.

Then why did you suggest the Ukrops might be hesitant to partner with VCU if it wasn't due to their "past" fur connection? The Ukrops will do what's best for soccer in general.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
Then why did you suggest the Ukrops might be hesitant to partner with VCU if it wasn't due to their "past" fur connection? The Ukrops will do what's best for soccer in general.
Because it is clear they are enormous UR supporters. It would be akin to asking if Stuart Seigel would have hesitancy to being a donor to the UR Business school should the VCU business school do something that deeply troubled Stuart. Stuart was an outstanding business leader but clearly has deep ties to VCU. As Run DMC said back in 1988; It's Tricky.

Last edited: