Green City

VCU Heel

Elite Member
And the city proves again how worthless it’s leadership is. But we all know that. Look at the schools that barely stay open.
Maybe it’s better that the money go to those schools than towards a baseball stadium that’s being built anyway without them… or an arena that’s being built nearby without them. It sounds like they’re going to get the benefits of those things without spending the money. Maybe the rewards came out of incompetence, but they’re still rewards. They could have been really smart though and spent a couple hundred million dollars for a similar outcome.

Maybe it’s better that the money go to those schools than towards a baseball stadium that’s being built anyway without them… or an arena that’s being built nearby without them. It sounds like they’re going to get the benefits of those things without spending the money. Maybe the rewards came out of incompetence, but they’re still rewards. They could have been really smart though and spent a couple hundred million dollars for a similar outcome.

Yeah let’s encourage the city leaders lying to businesses to lure them here. That’s good for relationships as well as luring things to the city. The fact that you think the money will actually go to the schools is hilarious. We all know the city does everything it can to make the schools fund/build themselves. Again the difference between a city that is proactively improving and city that just exists. Green City is a perfect example. Henrico knew what it wanted and locked it down quickly. The city can’t even figure out what to do with the Coliseum. If I was Henrico I wouldn’t share the revenue with the city since the city never wanted to share with the counties when proposals were made.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Yeah let’s encourage the city leaders lying to businesses to lure them here. That’s good for relationships as well as luring things to the city. The fact that you think the money will actually go to the schools is hilarious. We all know the city does everything it can to make the schools fund/build themselves. Again the difference between a city that is proactively improving and city that just exists. Green City is perfect example. Henrico knew what it wanted and locked it down quickly. The city can’t even figure out what to do with Coliseum.
You seem more interested in picking a fight than anything.

I live in the city and love it. Would never think about moving to Henrico or any of the other surrounding counties.

You seem more interested in picking a fight than anything.

I live in the city and love it. Would never think about moving to Henrico or any of the other surrounding counties.

No just pointing out that it’s strange you are suggesting that it’s ok for the city to lie to teams and/or businesses to lure them here and then not follow through. I would think most would find that unethical. Squirrels funded improvements to the stadium with millions of their own money and have been one of the most active members in the community for charity and youth since they arrived. Their reward was being left in a crappy stadium after being lied to which made them move in the first place. The Squirrels have done more for the citizens in the city than the city leaders And people wonder why teams don’t want to come here. Squirrels held up their end by becoming a major part of community. The city in turned screwed them. Just like they screwed the Braves. Just like they screwed the Roughriders after their championship. The list goes on.

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken the city built a new Huguenot, about to do George Wythe, built two new elementary schools, four new middle schools and yet people insist that no money is going to the schools. You are not going to build every school all over in one swoop. Localities have this thing called a bugelget. Leadership is a result of those voting to put people in position of leadership. It is amazing how people are quick to point out any failures but move at a snails pace to give credit. I LOVE my city and will never bash it. Part of the reason why the city has not flourished as much is the lack of regional cooperation because everyone thinks that they are too good to work together and rather work against. Being real…like it or not…there are no suburbs without the city. Maybe that is why it is called The Richmond Region. I for one support Mayor Stoney because we finally have a forwarded thinking leader. In politics a lot of pieces have to line up for things to happen. Mostly a lot has to do with revenue. Older infrastructure takes money to maintain. Street lights cost money,sidewalks cost money, counties have very few sidewalks or street lights.These are things worth considering.

If I am not mistaken the city built a new Huguenot, about to do George Wythe, built two new elementary schools, four new middle schools and yet people insist that no money is going to the schools. You are not going to build every school all over in one swoop. Localities have this thing called a bugelget. Leadership is a result of those voting to put people in position of leadership. It is amazing how people are quick to point out any failures but move at a snails pace to give credit. I LOVE my city and will never bash it. Part of the reason why the city has not flourished as much is the lack of regional cooperation because everyone thinks that they are too good to work together and rather work against. Being real…like it or not…there are no suburbs without the city. Maybe that is why it is called The Richmond Region. I for one support Mayor Stoney because we finally have a forwarded thinking leader. In politics a lot of pieces have to line up for things to happen. Mostly a lot has to do with revenue. Older infrastructure takes money to maintain. Street lights cost money,sidewalks cost money, counties have very few sidewalks or street lights.These are things worth considering.

-I’ll give Stoney credit for trying to make improvements happen like the new arena and housing development but honestly he should and probably did know that he would never get that approved in the city. He absolutely botched the protest/riot stuff though. There’s no debating that. He handled it poorly from the first day of unrest.

- If you refuse to criticize then you get a city council that is hardly proactive because no one demands them to be. There are council members that quite simply need to be replaced.

I’m gonna tell you a fun short story. So everyone is familiar with Charleston,SC? Beautiful city on the water. Most don’t realize Charleston went through similar problems to Richmond. They had certain sections get run down or started to become sketchy(Combination if things caused that including hurricane destruction.). In fact one of the most famous streets which is kind of like a classier bourbon st fell on the hardest times. The Charleston council decided they wouldn’t allow a famous section of the city to just fade into disrepair/crime. So they funded a massive revitalization project. A few years later it was back to being one of the best parts of the city with clubs, bars, shops, etc popping up all over the street. Businesses all booming with locals and tourists. That street could have easily become say Shockoe slip where shootings are a regular now and where even the longest running businesses can’t hold on. The city wouldn’t let that happen. A city is other proactive or it’s reactive. Richmond is kind of neither though. It generally takes actions when absolutely forced to and even then it’s a struggle. Loving the city doesn’t mean people can’t be critical of how it’s run. Same way loving VCU basketball doesn’t mean I have to ignore if the team was struggling. The first step in addressing a problem is acknowledging there is one. One of the most notable ones is the city leaders not keeping their promises. Yet they don’t get called out for it. In fact Stoney is one of the few who did get called out.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
Richmond is a very diverse city. VA is a diverse state. Change is not something that comes easy to older cities and states like RIC and VA. It takes a bit longer to do things when so many different view points are considered. I am not sure if that is a bad thing all the time.

Na
-I’ll give Stoney credit for trying to make improvements happen like the new arena and housing development but honestly he should and probably did know that he would never get that approved in the city. He absolutely botched the protest/riot stuff though. There’s no debating that. He handled it poorly from the first day of unrest.

- If you refuse to criticize then you get a city council that is hardly proactive because no one demands them to be. There are council members that quite simply need to be replaced.

I’m gonna tell you a fun short story. So everyone is familiar with Charleston,SC? Beautiful city on the water. Most don’t realize Charleston went through similar problems to Richmond. They had certain sections get run down or started to become sketchy(Combination if things caused that including hurricane destruction.). In fact one of the most famous streets which is kind of like a classier bourbon st fell on the hardest times. The Charleston council decided they wouldn’t allow a famous section of the city to just fade into disrepair/crime. So they funded a massive revitalization project. A few years later it was back to being one of the best parts of the city with clubs, bars, shops, etc popping up all over the street. Businesses all booming with locals and tourists. That street could have easily become say Shockoe slip where shootings are a regular now and where even the longest running businesses can’t hold on. The city wouldn’t let that happen. A city is other proactive or it’s reactive. Richmond is kind of neither though. It generally takes actions when absolutely forced to and even then it’s a struggle. Loving the city doesn’t mean people can’t be critical of how it’s run. Same way loving VCU basketball doesn’t mean I have to ignore if the team was struggling. The first step in addressing a problem is acknowledging there is one. One of the most notable ones is the city leaders not keeping their promises. Yet they don’t get called out for it. In fact Stoney is one of the few who did get called out.
Stoney was pretty much bought and paid for by Dominion Power on Navy Hill, and the city dodged a big bullet by getting away from it.

I also disagree on Stoney getting any blame for handling the unrest, because the RPD pretty much pays Stoney no mind. Sure he can squawk and fire the Chief, but that didn't make anyone in RPD rank and file mask up, nor is it getting them to Vax up, also not stopping the RPD "warrior cop" bully mentality.

And before you call me a cop hating liberal, please bear in mind that Henrico stopped sending cops after the second night, largely because they thought the RPD was unprofessional and needlessly aggressive.

That's not a pro Stoney thought, just not blaming him for the action of a police force he can't control.

VCU Heel

Elite Member

I lived in Charleston for 5 years. If you want to talk about the successes down there, then you should also make a trip over to North Charleston and get back to us. And there are definitely some areas of downtown Charleston where you don’t want to wander late at night.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
Na

Stoney was pretty much bought and paid for by Dominion Power on Navy Hill, and the city dodged a big bullet by getting away from it.

I also disagree on Stoney getting any blame for handling the unrest, because the RPD pretty much pays Stoney no mind. Sure he can squawk and fire the Chief, but that didn't make anyone in RPD rank and file mask up, nor is it getting them to Vax up, also not stopping the RPD "warrior cop" bully mentality.

And before you call me a cop hating liberal, please bear in mind that Henrico stopped sending cops after the second night, largely because they thought the RPD was unprofessional and needlessly aggressive.

That's not a pro Stoney thought, just not blaming him for the action of a police force he can't control.
RPD handled the protests as gracefully as 2 dogs fudgeing on roller skates.

Na

I don’t know where you are thinking I’m gonna call you a cop hating liberal (I’m a moderate but left leaning generally.). That’s a bit of a leap. I should note though the cops do most definitely listen to Stoney. Remember the night two rioters shot each other downtown (black hawks choppers were flying overhead.)? That morning Stoney told the police chief the police were to stand down and let things go. How do I know this? I have two friends in RPD who were there when Stoney told the Police Chief to let things. After that shooting occurred there was clashing the next few days as result and then the chief resigned. Stoney only screamed for police action after that shooting incident when his home was attacked by rioters. So no Stoney is not simply dealing with a rogue force. As you noted it’s well documented the questionable deals Stoney cuts including one that involved helping a company that help fund his campaign. He’s not some innocent figurehead.
I lived in Charleston for 5 years. If you want to talk about the successes down there, then you should also make a trip over to North Charleston and get back to us. And there are definitely some areas of downtown Charleston where you don’t want to wander late at night.

Every city has some unpleasant sections but there’s places in Richmond I wouldn’t want to visit during the day. The fact is the amount of the city that has bad sections has been growing for a bit. If not for VCU stepping up there would be a lot more bad areas right now. Who would be revitalizing the city if VCU wasn’t dropping billions in projects? It wouldn’t be the city council.

Last edited:

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Richmond is a very diverse city. VA is a diverse state. Change is not something that comes easy to older cities and states like RIC and VA. It takes a bit longer to do things when so many different view points are considered. I am not sure if that is a bad thing all the time.

Charlotte is diverse, and look at that city. Over the last 40 years, they have left Richmond in the dust - in every aspect. Please don't confuse incompetency with diversity. Just about every improvement to the City of Richmond over the last 20 years has either been by the private sector or the Commonwealth of Virginia, which includes VCU. What has the city government done to improve the city infrastructure? Install bike lanes on Franklin Street? Look at how long it took them to complete a relatively easy project like the Farmer Market renovation in Shockoe Bottom? And look at the price/pain the merchants down there had to pay financially while it was being renovated. The construction of the bus lanes on Broad Street was another fiasco that put many merchants in a bad financial position. And don't even get me started on the Redskins practice facility and how that was such a huge priority while the Coliseum and Diamond were falling down. And what has the city done with City Stadium? It's still sitting there collecting dust, with the exception of the Kickers games. Whatever happened to those redevelopment plans?

The City of Richmond has example after example of failures/mismanagement over the last 20+ years.

Ramdog

Elite Member
Stoney is dealing with environmental racism...there is only so much one man can do