Green City

BracketForecast

Elite Member
the people in here arguing that the city doesn't deserve the arena would be better served if they didn't make such bad faith arguments without nuance. The city is not in decline. The schools suck and local leadership has historically sucked. But otherwise the city is red hot and has been for a decade plus. Drive into the city from the west along Broad Street and it goes from run down shopping centers on the Henrico side to brand new high rise apartment buildings and renovated buildings with incredible restaurants. Same thing in Manchester. I live in Northside and every other house has been flipped within the last 5 years or is being flipped right now.

The people who refuse to acknowledge that shouldn't be taken seriously.

Screenshot_20210813-171549.png

Last edited:

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
the people in here arguing that the city doesn't deserve the arena would be better served if they didn't make such bad faith arguments without nuance. The city is not in decline. The schools suck and local leadership has historically sucked. But otherwise the city is red hot and has been for a decade plus. Drive into the city from the west along Broad Street and it goes from run down shopping centers on the Henrico side to brand new high rise apartment buildings and renovated buildings with incredible restaurants. Same thing in Manchester. I live in Northside and every other house has been flipped within the last 5 years or is being flipped right now.

The people who refuse to acknowledge that shouldn't be taken seriously.

View attachment 9867
Local leadership are the ones that would be in charge of building and operating a new arena though. I think that is problem that most people see with the Coliseum replacement project. Not that the city doesn't have the population to support it.

The City of Richmond has example after example of failures/mismanagement over the last 20+ years.
the biggest failures in the city of Richmond is the utter neglect of Public Housing during the last 40+ years (real human damage and led to lots of people moving from city to suburbs)- what started as a noble cause in the 50s turned into the nightmares of the 60s through the 90s and beyond - if you ask me RRHA is emblematic of the problems Richmond has faced/endured with management
there has been some limited improvements in improving housing stock
not to defend richmond, but the reality is great economic development opportunities are greatly limited in a City with little undeveloped land whereas the surrounding counties have so much undeveloped land ( with relatively similar populations ; richmond is approx 64 sq miles, chesterfield is 423 sq miles and henrico is 238 sq miles)
But you are spot on that govt and political leadership in the City have achieved little if anything meanignful over the past 40 years - their best strategy is to support efforts of the private sector through zoning changes and improvements in timely permitting and reviews and not nickel and diming developers over parking requirements or other niggling matters
All that said the city does have some great assets like the many restaurants, great museums, Altria theater and Carpenter Center and iconic Carytown and revived Scotts Addition
Go Bones

Ramaholic

Elite Member
the biggest failures in the city of Richmond is the utter neglect of Public Housing during the last 40+ years (real human damage and led to lots of people moving from city to suburbs)- what started as a noble cause in the 50s turned into the nightmares of the 60s through the 90s and beyond - if you ask me RRHA is emblematic of the problems Richmond has faced/endured with management
there has been some limited improvements in improving housing stock
not to defend richmond, but the reality is great economic development opportunities are greatly limited in a City with little undeveloped land whereas the surrounding counties have so much undeveloped land ( with relatively similar populations ; richmond is approx 64 sq miles, chesterfield is 423 sq miles and henrico is 238 sq miles)
But you are spot on that govt and political leadership in the City have achieved little if anything meanignful over the past 40 years - their best strategy is to support efforts of the private sector through zoning changes and improvements in timely permitting and reviews and not nickel and diming developers over parking requirements or other niggling matters
All that said the city does have some great assets like the many restaurants, great museums, Altria theater and Carpenter Center and iconic Carytown and revived Scotts Addition
Go Bones
And you can add in the Fan, Oregon Hill, Church Hill, River trail system, The canal, the parks (Byrd park, Maymont, Bryant park, Belles Island, Browns Island,...) Downtown, The Bottom... There are streetlights, sidewalks, curbs, alot of alleys all throughout RIC that the county doesnt have. Maybe the city isn't your cup of tea, but to say it is stagnant and there is little progress or growth isn't accurate.

Last edited:
When i say "Richmond" i separate what I mean. The "playground" aspects are better as far as dining and drinking and what not.
Scotts' addition is cool and all.
But they schools have gone down hill. the police department is an army of occupation that does not match up to the city, and the racial segregation , while not legally enforced is at about the same level it was in the 80s.
By that I mean here are a lot of people in a racially gerrymandered permanent underclass in large parts of the city that are structurally separated from the gentrified areas.
But yeah if you're an IT worker living in Scott's Addition and taking the pulse bus to Rockett's landing it's pretty cool to live in Richmond.

But if you are in a redlined area you are probably having trouble living with climate change; and you are also having trouble getting you family nutritious food.

Hopefully Green City doesn't ust become an ark for the well off the scamper onboard then pull up the ladder behind them

VCU Heel

Elite Member
When i say "Richmond" i separate what I mean. The "playground" aspects are better as far as dining and drinking and what not.
Scotts' addition is cool and all.
But they schools have gone down hill. the police department is an army of occupation that does not match up to the city, and the racial segregation , while not legally enforced is at about the same level it was in the 80s.
By that I mean here are a lot of people in a racially gerrymandered permanent underclass in large parts of the city that are structurally separated from the gentrified areas.
But yeah if you're an IT worker living in Scott's Addition and taking the pulse bus to Rockett's landing it's pretty cool to live in Richmond.

But if you are in a redlined area you are probably having trouble living with climate change; and you are also having trouble getting you family nutritious food.

Hopefully Green City doesn't ust become an ark for the well off the scamper onboard then pull up the ladder behind them
You just described almost every city in the United States.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
So I want to ask is who are the leaders in the music scene in richmond now? back in the day we had a lot of punk and even more punk, and some southern rock.

SteveMM

Elite Member
I went down to the former 17th Street Farmer's Market last night to see a band whose guitar player is a co-worker of my wife. I hadn't been down there since they re-did the area and made it more open. I was pleasantly surprised. We sat at the Italian restaurant there, had a charcuterie board and a few drinks, and listened to the music. It's a great area, and proof that while Richmond screws up an awful lot, they don't screw up everything.

The thing is a lot of unrest happened long before Stoney came on the scene. The City of Richmond is a microcosm of America. I certainly don't agree with the destruction of property. Never have and never will. However, it is worth looking into the underlying conditions that drove the unrest in the first place. As a middle aged black man, I can certainly see why some of the youth feel the way they feel. When you are educated, pay your taxes, talk articulately, work everyday doing honest work and yet... you are still profiled only because of skin color. It gets exhausting. I have been profiled many times outside of the city. If you are in the county it is not uncommon to have a police officer ask to search your car even if you cooperate... so squash that argument. When you can have someone put their life on the line for this country and still be treated like dirt on a routine traffic stop why wouldn't any reasonable person be upset. Whether people want to accept it or not. The days of black people just sitting back and taking it are over. I for one am glad to see those horrible confederate statues pulled down. There is no pride in celebrating people who would benefit from the oppression of other people. Yet there is still a huge statue siting in the middle of our city. A decision being made by people who don't even live in the city. There is no perfect scenario. I do know this. If you let people treat you any kind of way then they will. Dr. King did many peaceful protest but here we are over 50 years later in the same struggle. Poverty breeds crime. When people are not willing to let go perceptions and bias that's when the playing field stays tilted. It is ok to talk about issues however from my experience living in this region too often people look and find reasons to bash the city. Conversely no one speaks or acts as vigorously when things go wrong in the county. That is the point and big difference that I speak to.

Ululating Daddy

Elite Member
The thing is a lot of unrest happened long before Stoney came on the scene. The City of Richmond is a microcosm of America. I certainly don't agree with the destruction of property. Never have and never will. However, it is worth looking into the underlying conditions that drove the unrest in the first place. As a middle aged black man, I can certainly see why some of the youth feel the way they feel. When you are educated, pay your taxes, talk articulately, work everyday doing honest work and yet... you are still profiled only because of skin color. It gets exhausting. I have been profiled many times outside of the city. If you are in the county it is not uncommon to have a police officer ask to search your car even if you cooperate... so squash that argument. When you can have someone put their life on the line for this country and still be treated like dirt on a routine traffic stop why wouldn't any reasonable person be upset. Whether people want to accept it or not. The days of black people just sitting back and taking it are over. I for one am glad to see those horrible confederate statues pulled down. There is no pride in celebrating people who would benefit from the oppression of other people. Yet there is still a huge statue siting in the middle of our city. A decision being made by people who don't even live in the city. There is no perfect scenario. I do know this. If you let people treat you any kind of way then they will. Dr. King did many peaceful protest but here we are over 50 years later in the same struggle. Poverty breeds crime. When people are not willing to let go perceptions and bias that's when the playing field stays tilted. It is ok to talk about issues however from my experience living in this region too often people look and find reasons to bash the city. Conversely no one speaks or acts as vigorously when things go wrong in the county. That is the point and big difference that I speak to.
Well said. The only thing I'll add is that after 30 years in Baltimore city and the inner suburbs, Richmond is not unique.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
of course Robbin. and Single Bullet Theory and Bill Blue Band, the Good Guys, AAE and Gwar and I was talking about the 21st century Wolfpack.

757RamFan

Elite Member
So I want to ask is who are the leaders in the music scene in richmond now? back in the day we had a lot of punk and even more punk, and some southern rock.
Noize is the new punk. Two guys (or theys) in a basement with all kinds of rewired effects pedals and maybe a drum machine, squelchin' and squawkin' to their hearts content. Not my cuppa but hey whom am I to judge?