Green City

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Money talks, and the most financial tournament held by the A-10 was in Washington D.C.. Has the A-10 ever had the tournament success, money and basketball atmosphere for television, that the CAA once had when VCU was a member? Once the 17,000 seat area, with all the amenities, built around the area, is built I could see the A-10 as an often user because of money, and the basketball atmosphere it would have for television . Also, the A-10 of today has drifted south with the admittance of VCU, Mason, and Davidson, and the Richmond area would be a great area for attendance.
Of all the A10 tourney venues DC has the most convenient and best amenities for fans.

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
You are skeptical of Green City? Henrico is going to get it done on time and it will be complete in 2025. Bank on that. They own the old Best Product land and it is a high priority for the manager, board and EDA.

I'm skeptical. No other municipality in Virginia seems to be able to pull this off (thinking mainly of VA Beach and their go with an arena).

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I'm skeptical. No other municipality in Virginia seems to be able to pull this off (thinking mainly of VA Beach and their go with an arena).
I don’t think the legal ugliness that happened with Virginia Beach and their would-be arena developer is going to happen in Henrico. Most of the funds are already in place.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
Well, Henrico will tell you they're the best-managed county in the state. They might even be right about it.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
I will say, the first time the A-10 tournament was in DC, it was a lot of fun (even though we lost). I like Brooklyn, but DC is honestly better.
For me, Brooklyn is better. I’m not traveling back and forth, so it’s a 3-4 day trip either way. I like NYC a lot more than DC. The A10 Tournament is one of my yearly trips to NYC.

As long as we’re still in it, it doesn’t matter that much where we play. Once we lose and I have 2-3 more nights booked at a place, NYC is my #1 option.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
For me, Brooklyn is better. I’m not traveling back and forth, so it’s a 3-4 day trip either way. I like NYC a lot more than DC. The A10 Tournament is one of my yearly trips to NYC.

As long as we’re still in it, it doesn’t matter that much where we play. Once we lose and I have 2-3 more nights booked at a place, NYC is my #1 option.
I do like the NY trip.
just feels like a “special” destination .

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009

Virginia Beach also put way too much weight in landing an NBA team in order to justify building the arena. That was a huge gamble on their part.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Virginia Beach also put way too much weight in landing an NBA team in order to justify building the arena. That was a huge gamble on their part.
On another note....in the Tidewater area Hampton is going after the swimming sports tourism dollars. I read that they are building one the largest natatoriums in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Reactions: WillWeaverRVA