News GW players fled university due to Lonergan's abusive behavior

umwram

Top Member
Dec 29, 2011
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/gw-basketball-players-report-coachs-verbal-and-emotional-abuse-many-fled-school/2016/07/21/b7d5bd12-4dae-11e6-a7d8-13d06b37f256_story.html

After each of the past four seasons, three players have transferred out of GW, bringing the total to 13 in Lonergan’s five years. Over the past two seasons, according to people familiar with the situation, the school has fielded complaints from players about Lonergan. While university administrators addressed the concerns with Lonergan, according to a school official, there have been no public consequences.

For some players, leaving GW represented the best of a handful of ineffectual recourses. They could transfer, which would mean leaving their school of choice and losing a year of playing eligibility per NCAA rules. They could entrust campus officials to scrutinize Lonergan’s behavior, which, to their understanding, already had happened and resulted in no significant change. Or they could stay and play for a coach whose behavior they viewed as bizarre and abusive.

“I don’t think the guy should be in sports,” one former player said. “I don’t think what he said should be tolerated. I would like to stay at GW. I will not play for Mike Lonergan.”