Hason "Big Haas" Ward

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
Maybe I’m three Kool aids in, but I think if Haas sticks it out and continues to work (I have no reason to think otherwise), he can have an Obi Toppin type impact in 2-3 years. He’s so athletic and full of potential. I can’t wait to see what he grown into. Could be scary for others

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Maybe I’m three Kool aids in, but I think if Haas sticks it out and continues to work (I have no reason to think otherwise), he can have an Obi Toppin type impact in 2-3 years. He’s so athletic and full of potential. I can’t wait to see what he grown into. Could be scary for others
I think he is more in the shadows of a Larry Sanders. Obi is a legitimate NBA lottery draft pick.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I think he is more in the shadows of a Larry Sanders. Obi is a legitimate NBA lottery draft pick.
legit lottery “prospect”, he is undersized for an NBA 4 and has not yet showed the handles or defensive skills to handle the 3. He is also old by lottery standards as he will be 23 by next NBA season—teams expect the first couple of seasons to be an investment, so 23 is considered old.

That said, he is top 20 for sure and may slide into the lottery in the right situation.

As for Ward, if he gets bigger and develops a reliable mid-range & in game, scouts will drool over his length— body, age and development upside almost always trump college stats.

Reactions: mrgeode

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
legit lottery “prospect”, he is undersized for an NBA 4 and has not yet showed the handles or defensive skills to handle the 3. He is also old by lottery standards as he will be 23 by next NBA season—teams expect the first couple of seasons to be an investment, so 23 is considered old.

That said, he is top 20 for sure and may slide into the lottery in the right situation.

As for Ward, if he gets bigger and develops a reliable mid-range & in game, scouts will drool over his length— body, age and development upside almost always trump college stats.
CBS Sports has Obi going #9 to the Phoenix Suns in their mock draft. NBADraft.net has Obi as the #4 pick going to Cleveland. SI has Obi as the #10 pick going to Charlotte. I think you are seriously under estimating his value in the next NBA draft.

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Big Haas needs to take a public speaking course while matriculating at VCU. As I never regretted it, I think he would feel the same.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
CBS Sports has Obi going #9 to the Phoenix Suns in their mock draft. NBADraft.net has Obi as the #4 pick going to Cleveland. SI has Obi as the #10 pick going to Charlotte. I think you are seriously under estimating his value in the next NBA draft.
A.couple of cbs analysts stated they would take OBI over Wiseman as the number 1 overall.pick because he has skills.

Reactions: thelonious_chunk

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Perhaps....don’t get me wrong, I would take him on our squad in a heartbeat, but not sold on his overall game yet at the NBA lottery level. Mainly due to his handles and the limited evidence of his ability to defend outside the paint. In any case, hopefully he plays like a FA long shot against us

Reactions: RAM7889

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
A.couple of cbs analysts stated they would take OBI over Wiseman as the number 1 overall.pick because he has skills.
To each their own—Wiseman has plenty of skill, more length and a few years on Obi. Again Obi is a very, very, very good college player and should have a decent career— i just see more of a Bembry trajectory than a potential star.

Reactions: duncanlamb

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
To each their own—Wiseman has plenty of skill, more length and a few years on Obi. Again Obi is a very, very, very good college player and should have a decent career— i just see more of a Bembry trajectory than a potential star.
Personally,I would have ranked Anthony first before injury...now Edward's our of Georgia.

Mar 1, 2015

He has plenty of size to play the 4 in the NBA. Other things you mentioned, handles, guarding on the perimeter etc. - maybe some issues. He’s impressive though.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
He has plenty of size to play the 4 in the NBA. Other things you mentioned, handles, guarding on the perimeter etc. - maybe some issues. He’s impressive though.
idk, he is listed by Dayton as 6’9”, but looks more like 6’7”—i guess we’ll see for sure when he lines up next to MSS in a week. Can you really see him line-up against Giannis, KD, Dirk, Kevin Love, Bosh, Garnett, Z-bo, Porzingas, Saikam, etc.....those are NBA fours. I think there would be lots of iso and he would get destroyed—now IF he has more perimeter game than we get to see, can see him as solid inside-out 3.

I guess it comes down to whether he is pre-injury Blake Griffin or someone Ernie Grunfield would draft too high.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
idk, he is listed by Dayton as 6’9”, but looks more like 6’7”—i guess we’ll see for sure when he lines up next to MSS in a week. Can you really see him line-up against Giannis, KD, Dirk, Kevin Love, Bosh, Garnett, Z-bo, Porzingas, Saikam, etc.....those are NBA fours. I think there would be lots of iso and he would get destroyed—now IF he has more perimeter game than we get to see, can see him as solid inside-out 3.

I guess it comes down to whether he is pre-injury Blake Griffin or someone Ernie Grunfield would draft too high.
Obviously the NBA needs your acumen! Consensus seems to be he is a top 10 pick. Of course the consensus in the draft is often wrong

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Obviously the NBA needs your acumen! Consensus seems to be he is a top 10 pick. Of course the consensus in the draft is often wrong
thanks for the kind words, but moved on from that dream long ago. Still have a perspective and this is a discussion board counselor.