Hason "Big Haas" Ward

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Obviously the NBA needs your acumen! Consensus seems to be he is a top 10 pick. Of course the consensus in the draft is often wrong
You just never know how it works out. They have those NBA camps and players rise or drop after evaluations. He is not wrong that things can change. He is definitely a first rounder though.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I would just like to see him master a baby hook shot from 5 feet first. When the staff says he is raw, you can see it on the offensive end whenever he does anything other than a dunk or a layup.
i’d settle for him perfecting the Valley drop step before even trying a hook.

Reactions: Valley drop step

Ululating Daddy

Top Member
Jan 13, 2016
I really, really like the potential we see in Big Haas. I hate to make comparisons - I like seeing each player develop to his own unique skill set. But if Hason takes a page from MSS's book of hard work, he can end up playing professionally anywhere he wants.

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Suspect we’ll continue to notice improvement in his game over the course of the season under the tutelage of Coach Scott and Coach Santos-Silva😄. Remember, his learning curve was stunted by arriving very late in the summer due to immigration issues, I think.

Reactions: Ululating Daddy

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
remarkable no one saw this inside the article.

"
T17) Samir Doughty, 6-4, 195, G, Sr., Auburn – 6 points
The Tigers are one of two remaining undefeated teams, and the VCU transfer is a major reason for the success. He’s the team’s leading scorer, but is also effective on the defensive end.
Stats: 16.3 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 2.6 apg, 1.6 spg".

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I saw that on twitter. Andy Katz also picked Davidson to win the A10 so...
i don’t think there is anything wrong with the list or Katz’s take, Obi is a very very very good college player and worthy of POY considerations. The big question is whether he is worth a lottery pick—meaning an important dependable piece to help a bad team get better and potential all-star.

There is a lot to like in his game, but there are a lot of unknowns too; ball skills, who he can/can’t guard, versatility, game IQ—Against college players he is an athletic marvel, in the NBA he’ll be a guy with athleticism and old by rookie standards. As stated before, no doubts he is a top 20 pick—but it’s a bit premature to say he is a sure-fire lottery pick like Wiseman, Anthony, Edwards, McDaniels..... That is where all this started anyway.....does he go 10 or closer to 20?

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
i don’t think there is anything wrong with the list or Katz’s take, Obi is a very very very good college player and worthy of POY considerations. The big question is whether he is worth a lottery pick—meaning an important dependable piece to help a bad team get better and potential all-star.

There is a lot to like in his game, but there are a lot of unknowns too; ball skills, who he can/can’t guard, versatility, game IQ—Against college players he is an athletic marvel, in the NBA he’ll be a guy with athleticism and old by rookie standards. As stated before, no doubts he is a top 20 pick—but it’s a bit premature to say he is a sure-fire lottery pick like Wiseman, Anthony, Edwards, McDaniels..... That is where all this started anyway.....does he go 10 or closer to 20?
I did not say there was. Just ragging on Katz is all. Obi Toppin is a great player and I never meant to indicate anything other than that.

Reactions: mrgeode

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013

GMs love potential. I think Toppin still has plenty, but I also think he needs to be a SF at the next level. If he can do that he can be very, very good.

Reactions: PRock
Mar 1, 2015
GMs love potential. I think Toppin still has plenty, but I also think he needs to be a SF at the next level. If he can do that he can be very, very good.
Why SF? He is listed at 6-9 so 6-7ish is probably about right. Most PFs are about that size today. Listed heights have always been IN SHOES AND MANIPULATED, college and pro. Kevin Love is actually 6-8, Paul Milsap is under 6-7, and Draymond Green is under 6-6, verified at the combine. They have been all- star PFs for years. Most NBA centers are truly around 6-9 or 6-10. Check Bill Russell- he was a legit 6-9 in the day before yard sticks shrunk. He’s about 3 inches taller than Ben Wallace who was listed at the same height, and maybe a little taller than Dwight Howard. They were star centers. Toppin’s size will be fine.

I think ceiling for him is something approaching Al Horford. Horford is 6-8 even measured at the combine and an all-star center for years. He could learn to shoot those slow 3s like Al. Obi is more athletic, and will probably be stronger in a couple years. I think he can definitely play the 4 in the NBA.
1578578483818.jpeg

1578578419285.jpeg

Reactions: mrgeode and Mcuff

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
Why SF? He is listed at 6-9 so 6-7ish is probably about right. Most PFs are about that size today. Listed heights have always been IN SHOES AND MANIPULATED, college and pro. Kevin Love is actually 6-8, Paul Milsap is under 6-7, and Draymond Green is under 6-6, verified at the combine. They have been all- star PFs for years. Most NBA centers are truly around 6-9 or 6-10. Check Bill Russell- he was a legit 6-9 in the day before yard sticks shrunk. He’s about 3 inches taller than Ben Wallace who was listed at the same height, and maybe a little taller than Dwight Howard. They were star centers. Toppin’s size will be fine.

I think ceiling for him is something approaching Al Horford. Horford is 6-8 even measured at the combine and an all-star center for years. He could learn to shoot those slow 3s like Al. Obi is more athletic, and will probably be stronger in a couple years. I think he can definitely play the 4 in the NBA.
View attachment 7934

View attachment 7933
The league likes wings. If you can be a wing, be a wing (or get turned into a wing by the coaching staff). He gets close to Big Al and he'll have a long career. Would need to improve passing and defense by a lot. That's OK, not even a rookie yet.

Reactions: Valley drop step