Hason Ward Deserves a Posse

Dr Joe

Elite Member
Insider
Not to beat a dead horse, but right now Deloach is outplaying Ward and the gap between the two is getting wider. Ward had 8 pts. and 2 rebounds in 18 minutes last night against a horrible GW team. DeLoach had 6 points and 7 rebounds in 14 minutes. De Loach also had 3 blocks and Ward had 1 block. In the +/- stat, Deloach ended up +18 and Ward ended up -8. Not sure what is going on with Ward, but there has been very little, if any, discussion about his foot injury since he returned. DeLoach is definitely playing with a higher motor and it's showing in the stats. Last year, posters were talking about how Ward was going to be drafted after this year. I'm not seeing that happen at this point.
Everything Deloach does is impressive. He has a ton of energy, very quick and sure hands, footwork that shows he is a player and can adjust to taller opponents. Once he masters going straight up on defense and using his feet more than his upper body it will be hard to keep him off the court. Learning to play with his back to the basket will be his summer job. My only question is what happens when he plays against opponents who outweigh him by 25 lbs. That aside I believe he is a star in the making.

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
Ward is still explosive, but not as explosive as before. Even if any injuries are back to 100%, it can still mess with some people's minds and they keep playing timid. His play/presence at Dayton makes me still have complete faith in him. He's not the only one who slacked a bit against GW.

Last edited:

Mr. X

Elite Member
Insider
Ward is still explosive, but not as explosive as before. Even if any injuries are back to 100%, it can still mess with some people's minds and they keep playing timid. His play/presence at Dayton makes me still have complete faith in him.
Yeah. I think he is starting to come around since Ace came back. I am also the poster that said "He would be the next Obi Toppin"

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Not to beat a dead horse, but right now Deloach is outplaying Ward and the gap between the two is getting wider. Ward had 8 pts. and 2 rebounds in 18 minutes last night against a horrible GW team. DeLoach had 6 points and 7 rebounds in 14 minutes. De Loach also had 3 blocks and Ward had 1 block. In the +/- stat, Deloach ended up +18 and Ward ended up -8. Not sure what is going on with Ward, but there has been very little, if any, discussion about his foot injury since he returned. DeLoach is definitely playing with a higher motor and it's showing in the stats. Last year, posters were talking about how Ward was going to be drafted after this year. I'm not seeing that happen at this point.
Both have played exceptionally since coming back from the break, their offensive ratings are pretty much the same and both bring energy on the defensive end, though Hason has had a few timely and high degree of difficulty blocks…..not sure it is an either/or between the two, i am very pleased both are on the team and getting better as the season progresses.

As one of those who has been assertive about Ward as a draft prospect—it has never been about college production, the games are too different, especially for bigs. It is about physical upside and the fact that he is an exceptional rim protector per scouts—that hasn’t changed. That said, the recent trend needs to continue and a breakthrough on the offensive side would be ideal.

The dude has only played competitive organized basketball for a few years—Jalen is not that much younger and actually way more experienced. If anything, it is less about comparing to Ward and more about being impressed with Jalen—he is much better, earlier than I had expected.

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
Yeah. I think he is starting to come around since Ace came back. I am also the poster that said "He would be the next Obi Toppin"
Ironically, DeLoach could end up being that! He has a slew of moves he hasn't shown yet. I'm waiting for his first turnaround fadeaway and 3 pointer. The brace on his hand is definitely delaying that, the way it's affecting his free throws.

ViCtorioUs

Elite Member
Bones and Big Haas had some definite chemistry. If Ward was open Bones would hit him and was always looking for him it seemed. Ace and DeLoach have a similar chemistry this season.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Ironically, DeLoach could end up being that! He has a slew of moves he hasn't shown yet. I'm waiting for his first turnaround fadeaway and 3 pointer. The brace on his hand is definitely delaying that, the way it's affecting his free throws.
I don't want DeLoach shooting 3's. We have enough 3 point shooters. We need guys to work inside, get inside shots, get rebounds. I want DeLoach as a post player who plays in the post.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
I don't want DeLoach shooting 3's. We have enough 3 point shooters. We need guys to work inside, get inside shots, get rebounds. I want DeLoach as a post player who plays in the post.
That is his strength and it’s definitely something we need more of, at least until Stockard is back 100%.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I also want our big men to develop and show skills that will get them to the NBA, which means they have to show some ability to stretch the floor with their shot.

Mr. X

Elite Member
Insider
They are a pretty good 1,2 punch.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
FJ0osrlWYAQ1S2M