Hason Ward Deserves a Posse

SteveMM

Elite Member
Hass had a great game last night. It helps when there's no one on the other team who can come close to matching your presence under the basket, but he took advantage.

He got a few open dunks against a team with no interior defense. He catch’s and dunks and blocks shots as good as anyone in the country. But he is still limited to that and has more weaknesses. He can be as much of a liability as an asset. He should continue to play obviously, but Deloach and Jones need as much time. To many holes to be the primary big all the time.

SteveMM

Elite Member
He got a few open dunks against a team with no interior defense. He catch’s and dunks and blocks shots as good as anyone in the country. But he is still limited to that and has more weaknesses. He can be as much of a liability as an asset. He should continue to play obviously, but Deloach and Jones need as much time. To many holes to be the primary big all the time.
The strategy of "big man by committee" this season is working, and it's fantastic to have that many guys they can put out there but not miss a beat.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
The strategy of "big man by committee" this season is working, and it's fantastic to have that many guys they can put out there but not miss a beat.
It’s refreshing to see a VCU team with so many talented bigs. It’s quite a change from previous teams, including Will Wade’s teams (at the time he had a reputation for recruiting strong frontcourt guys).

It’s refreshing to see a VCU team with so many talented bigs. It’s quite a change from previous teams, including Will Wade’s teams (at the time he had a reputation for recruiting strong frontcourt guys).
Ole Will was only here a minute. I’m sure the roster would have reflected his priorities.

We have an 8 game win streak. In those games maybe the best run of scoring the last couple years. We are generally shooting fewer 3s, getting into the lane more, getting to the line more and making them, winning the rebound battle. Everything Will used to preach. Cut down the turnovers and the Rams will be a tough out for anyone.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
We really need Hason to stay healthy....with his ankle. He is back to playing like he did in Atlantis. He seemed to take a long time to heal between Atlantis and early Feb but man, he has really stepped up his game as of late. I know many of us were really down on him in Dec and Jan thinking that he had really regressed. But I guess that ankle injury really hampered him. Plus, I think he is also learning to put any mistakes he makes on the court behind him and just be ready for the next play up the court.
He also had a beautiful assist to a cutting Curry for the dunk. I would like to see our guards do a bit more of this type of thing when Hason or the other bigs come out to the top of the key to screen....then cut back to the basket.
Also, DeLoach has continued to improve in the post and really contributed on the offensive end. And lately, Levi has been very effective on defense in the low post with his size and is improving on offense with some great assists and a few shots.