Havoc

Rambob

Insider
To me the havoc is not working for us and probably has not worked for at least the last 10 games or so. Teams are regularly breaking the press and often getting easy shots as a result. We also seem to struggle getting back and set up in our half court defense which has been 95% man. We also do not seem to be wearing teams down like we did last year and we are not getting many fast break points. In fact it seems that this year we have been more focused on dribbling on the break rather than passing while our opponents have become very adept at throwing passes over our press.

We all know the classic definition of insanity: "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" so,

My question is, why do we keep playing the havoc style when it is not working for us? So here are some possible answers:

1. It's the only style the coaching staff knows.
2. The coaching staff and Shaka in particular are committed to making it work because they feel it is critical to our future success.
3. The full court pressure masks other weaknesses and without it, we would play even worse.
4. Your ideas?

What I find funny is the definition of Insanity and then I read what seems to be the same post over and over and over again.

Rambob

Insider
Sorry I don't meet the standards of the frequent posters. I'm done for a while. :oops:

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
TTLPKG said:
What I find funny is the definition of Insanity and then I read what seems to be the same post over and over and over again.

:lol: Absolutely! Anyone who has read the posts that Pav linked doesn't need to be told what the definition of insanity is.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
Rambob said:
Sorry I don't meet the standards of the frequent posters. I'm done for a while. :oops:

If you want people to pay attention you use the word 'official' in front of the Subject's name. :lol:

Havoc did not work for the regular season but we still have a game to play Saturday and have to have some kind of game plan. Maybe Coach Smart has a plan.

i was always told that "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" was the definition of stupidity. maybe that's appropriate in this situation too though.

Mistachill

Elite Member
What is your definition of "not working?" I agree that its not causing "havoc" but unless its resulting in a multitude of easy points for the opposition, why is this such a big concern? So if we lay back and allow the opponent to easily advance the ball up court, how does that help us, especially when half court defense is a weakness for us? Suppose they easily break the press but it results in less time to set up their offense?

If we press and it results in a layup line for the other team, then I see it being a problem.

Rambob said:
To me the havoc is not working for us and probably has not worked for at least the last 10 games or so. Teams are regularly breaking the press and often getting easy shots as a result. We also seem to struggle getting back and set up in our half court defense which has been 95% man. We also do not seem to be wearing teams down like we did last year and we are not getting many fast break points. In fact it seems that this year we have been more focused on dribbling on the break rather than passing while our opponents have become very adept at throwing passes over our press.

We all know the classic definition of insanity: "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" so,

My question is, why do we keep playing the havoc style when it is not working for us? So here are some possible answers:

2. The coaching staff and Shaka in particular are committed to making it work because they feel it is critical to our future success.
3. The full court pressure masks other weaknesses and without it, we would play even worse.
4. Your ideas?

Mistachill said:
What is your definition of "not working?" I agree that its not causing "havoc" but unless its resulting in a multitude of easy points for the opposition, why is this such a big concern? So if we lay back and allow the opponent to easily advance the ball up court, how does that help us, especially when half court defense is a weakness for us? Suppose they easily break the press but it results in less time to set up their offense?

If we press and it results in a layup line for the other team, then I see it being a problem.

Rambob said:

4. Your ideas?

Chill, our press has been getting beat all season.

L72boy, you nailed it.

Is stupidity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result? Or is that insanity? I think I'm losing my mind here....