Hire Will Wade....as an assistant!

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
I jokingly post this....or do I?

Here's the hard truth: since 2006, eight VCU teams have ranked outside of the top-100 in offensive efficiency and six of them were/are Rhoades-coached teams (one of the others ranked 106). I mean come on, there is a serious weakness there that just hasn't been addressed and we're now on year-6 of the issue. Gotta be some growth there or we just bring in Will Wade as an assistant or special adviser or water boy or something.

Hypothetically speaking though...would you welcome that or not? Open to alternative suggestions as well!

I jokingly post this....or do I?

Here's the hard truth: since 2006, eight VCU teams have ranked outside of the top-100 in offensive efficiency and six of them were/are Rhoades-coached teams (one of the others ranked 106). I mean come on, there is a serious weakness there that just hasn't been addressed and we're now on year-6 of the issue. Gotta be some growth there or we just bring in Will Wade as an assistant or special adviser or water boy or something.

Hypothetically speaking though...would you welcome that or not? Open to alternative suggestions as well!
I know he wasn't liked by a lot of our fans but I think he does have a good basketball mind, so I'm down with it. Don't think his ego would allow it though.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Regardless of who it is, someone needs to be on the staff that can coach offense better. MR has won at 3 different schools and proven that he is a good coach. But…. Good isn’t good enough in the sports world.

I want MR to succeed, heck I’d love to see him coach here 15+ seasons, but even the biggest homers have to see that we’ve had major offensive issues in his tenure.

Regardless of who it is, someone needs to be on the staff that can coach offense better. MR has won at 3 different schools and proven that he is a good coach. But…. Good isn’t good enough in the sports world.

I want MR to succeed, heck I’d love to see him coach here 15+ seasons, but even the biggest homers have to see that we’ve had major offensive issues in his tenure.
Agreed, idc who it is but we are in desperate need of an offensive guru on this staff

PhantomRam

Elite Member
I just fear that we are becoming who we have made fun of all these years. We have a likeable coach who wins just enough to stick around and who has a contract that would be expensive to unload. Sound like another team in the area? Also sorta reminds me of the Sonny era. Roll the ball on the court and let "players play".

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
I just fear that we are becoming who we have made fun of all these years. We have a likeable coach who wins just enough to stick around and who has a contract that would be expensive to unload. Sound like another team in the area? Also sorta reminds me of the Sonny era. Roll the ball on the court and let "players play".
I suggest logging on to Wikipedia and looking at overall W-L records of Sonny Smith at VCU and Chris Mooney at Richmond before comparing MR to either of them.

I’m a full believer that a change needs to be made (probably assistant coach wise) for our offense to be better, but it’s not like MR isn’t at least a good coach. We’ve been KP top 15 defense 3 of the last 4 seasons. We are very good on one side of the basketball and that has at least something to do with coaching.

Ululating Daddy

Elite Member
No.

I'm all for a coach calling plays from the bench when needed to prevent a long scoring drought. But I won't support selling our souls for a couple more wins a year.