Hire Will Wade....as an assistant!

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Winning conference tournaments are HARD. I wish we could do it everywhere, but contrary to popular belief other teams have goals too. With that said, I wish we could win one at least every 4-5 seasons with multiple at-larges in between. I don’t think that’s a crazy expectation.
I'm not disagreeing with you.... but when you make 5 straight A10 championships your first 5 years in the conference.... and only win 1 of them.... and 3 of the 4 losses we were the higher seed... that's gonna sting a bit & its gonna leave everyone wondering "what coulda been?"...

you know, kinda like how several delusional people on here thought that just winning the Wagner game & making up either Penn State or NH game last year alone (with all other results remaining the same) woulda put us in the tournament last year.... despite being a 3 seed in the NIT (so not even a First Four Out situation)..... those people were thinking "What coulda been"... when in reality... we needed more than just beating Wagner & and PSU or NH to get in.

And sure the other teams have goals & dreams too... and clearly in 4 of those 5 A10 Championship games.... they wanted it more than we did. They had more heart & desire to win those games than we did. The one year we won it.... was the one year prob no one expected us to win, we were the 5 seed & didn't have Briante..... but the team rallied around his energy & passion while on the bench. Clearly that year, VCU wanted it more than the other team.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
My counter to this post is that VCU went 5-5 in the regular season in 2014-2015 after Bri got hurt. Did a lucky A10 Tournament 4 games in 4 days run cover up Shaka not doing his best coaching job?
Yeah that season went pretty far downhill after Bri got hurt. We were looking at a four or five seed in the tournament before then and ended up with a first round loss.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
I don't agree with this comment. A point guard might be the floor general, but there are five players on the court. Successful passes consist of making the pass and making the catch. Assists only happen if the receiving player finishes the play. Point guards don't block shots in the paint. Successful coaches make sure they recruit a capable backup point guard.

Regarding the Arizona State game, the point guard position did not cost VCU the game. Both technicals were not committed by the point guard. The point guard position single handedly didn't commit 5 turnovers down low. In fact, the point guard position only committed 3 turnovers last night while the rest of the team committed 12 turnovers. Last night, the point guard was only two of 10 players to play for VCU. VCU prides itself on it's "Army" approach when it come to playing time. As I stated, the game last night was not lost at the point guard position.
I wasn't only talking about last night but our offense in general.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Yeah that season went pretty far downhill after Bri got hurt. We were looking at a four or five seed in the tournament before then and ended up with a first round loss.
RPI was obviously flawed but by the first week of January 2015 VCUs RPI was 4, yes 4!

When Bri got hurt on 1/31 that year, our RPI was around 15 if memory serves.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
I'm not disagreeing with you.... but when you make 5 straight A10 championships your first 5 years in the conference.... and only win 1 of them.... and 3 of the 4 losses we were the higher seed... that's gonna sting a bit & its gonna leave everyone wondering "what coulda been?"...

you know, kinda like how several delusional people on here thought that just winning the Wagner game & making up either Penn State or NH game last year alone (with all other results remaining the same) woulda put us in the tournament last year.... despite being a 3 seed in the NIT (so not even a First Four Out situation)..... those people were thinking "What coulda been"... when in reality... we needed more than just beating Wagner & and PSU or NH to get in.

And sure the other teams have goals & dreams too... and clearly in 4 of those 5 A10 Championship games.... they wanted it more than we did. They had more heart & desire to win those games than we did. The one year we won it.... was the one year prob no one expected us to win, we were the 5 seed & didn't have Briante..... but the team rallied around his energy & passion while on the bench. Clearly that year, VCU wanted it more than the other team.
I agree with all of your conference tournament statements. Being the bridesmaid isn’t as fun as being the bride in the sports world.

Regarding last years team, the big stinker was the missed opportunity against UConn in the Bahamas. Last nights loss to ASU reminded me of that game. Not pretty but VCU lead for 35+ minutes and didn’t hang on.

I don't agree with this comment. A point guard might be the floor general, but there are five players on the court. Successful passes consist of making the pass and making the catch. Assists only happen if the receiving player finishes the play. Point guards don't block shots in the paint. Successful coaches make sure they recruit a capable backup point guard.

Regarding the Arizona State game, the point guard position did not cost VCU the game. Both technicals were not committed by the point guard. The point guard position single handedly didn't commit 5 turnovers down low. In fact, the point guard position only committed 3 turnovers last night while the rest of the team committed 12 turnovers. Last night, the point guard was only two of 10 players to play for VCU. VCU prides itself on it's "Army" approach when it come to playing time. As I stated, the game last night was not lost at the point guard position.

Game last night was most definitely lost at the PG position. There are two teams on the court. Game was close throughout most of the 1st half. ASU actually lead at one point. Then ASU's starting PG picked up his 2nd foul and went to the bench with 1 point for the rest of the half. ASU started playing sloppy; VCU went on a mini-run to end the half. Start of the 2nd half, refs try to gift wrap the game to VCU, but we won't have anything to do with that. Instead get a stupid technical and give away most of the lead. ASU's starting PG plays most (if not all) the 2nd half and takes over the game - scoring, drawing fouls, settling his team. Had he not had foul trouble in the 1st, we may have been blown out.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Something to shake things up a bit might be in order. We have offensive weapons this year. If the team doesn't round out into a pretty good offensive team some kind of move may be needed.
Maybe as little as change up responsibilities among the current coaching staff. I know that was done after Rhoades' first year when the defense under performed and we've been a top D ever since. Worth a try.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Your post has a ton of assumptions. I liked UMass and Rhody’s hires, I really did. But….. we can’t just assume that UMass and a Rhody will BOTH win. Also - if Archie has success at Rhody, he may try to get back to a P5 job. I think Martin is less likely to do that because he’s older and his wife is a UMass graduate. Kim English “seems” to have Mason in the right direction but they had a losing season last year and he’s a young coach so if he’s successful then P5 jobs will definitely call. SLU and Dayton are good programs like us, but not elite by any means and could easily “slip” like VCU apparently could. Check a SLU or Dayton board, they go apepoop over their HC’s too.

Everything you said could happen and everything I just said could happen mainly because there is no ELITE coach or program in this conference.

VCU is not the only program in the A-10 that has had past success and VCU is not the only program to go to the Final Four. Sometimes I think our fan base automatically assumes VCU will always be a top 4 program in the A-10. That may have been so years ago, but not today. Teams change for the better and the worse. Right now, I don't see any upward trajectory to the VCU program, other than the price of tickets and minimum RAF contributions. The product just isn't there.

By my count, Coach Rhoades has only had VCU in the A-10 Championship game once in the last 5 years. Prior to Rhoades, VCU was in the A-10 Basketball championship game 4 out of 5 years with one championship. Regarding the current state of the program, that's not "flagship" credential.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Pretty sure J.D. Byers has been in charge of the offense since Coach Rhoades took over at VCU. If VCU were lose Brunt, this program would fall to a middle of the pack A-10 school. As I stated in another thread, Coach Rhoades is too loyal to a fault.
Byers is a really good recruiter.

RamStrut

Elite Member
A
I jokingly post this....or do I?

Here's the hard truth: since 2006, eight VCU teams have ranked outside of the top-100 in offensive efficiency and six of them were/are Rhoades-coached teams (one of the others ranked 106). I mean come on, there is a serious weakness there that just hasn't been addressed and we're now on year-6 of the issue. Gotta be some growth there or we just bring in Will Wade as an assistant or special adviser or water boy or something.

Hypothetically speaking though...would you welcome that or not? Open to alternative suggestions as well!
Absolutely not.