Holiday Tournaments for the Next 5 Years

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
Because of many factors, tournament schedules are set several seasons out. Scheduling it not something that people sit down at the end of the year and say ok, who are we going to play next year. Yes most teams some "open" slots to fill but not an entire schedule. Also, with more and more preseason and holiday tournaments, tournament directors are looking to fill slots sooner.
By the same token, Blogging the Bracket already has next year's tournament schedule up and not only are there a lot of tournaments with multiple open slots, but a bunch of notable teams don't have an exempt event yet. So while it's certainly possible that VCU has their next five tournaments set up like ducks in a row, it does seem from the outside less plausible when Kentucky, Arizona State, Notre Dame, N.C. State, Georgia Tech, West Virginia, Ohio State, Maryland and Indiana, among others, don't even know where they're going next season.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
By the same token, Blogging the Bracket already has next year's tournament schedule up and not only are there a lot of tournaments with multiple open slots, but a bunch of notable teams don't have an exempt event yet. So while it's certainly possible that VCU has their next five tournaments set up like ducks in a row, it does seem from the outside less plausible when Kentucky, Arizona State, Notre Dame, N.C. State, Georgia Tech, West Virginia, Ohio State, Maryland and Indiana, among others, don't even know where they're going next season.
Well, I got it from someone who goes to all of the holiday tournaments who in turn said they got it from VCU. I went ahead and jotted it down to share. We shall see if it is correct.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Tournament selection is a lot like recruiting. Kentucky and so can recruit a kid in May for that fall where VCU needs to start recruiting the same kid his sophomore year to have close t the same shot. While, there are tournaments with blank spots, they certainly know what conference the team is going to come from in most cases, A VCU need to know as far as possible in dvance what there schedule is going to look like so the can plan the rest of it. If Kentucky said in June, we are looking for home and home, neutral site or some other game, there would be well over 100 teams willing to sign up to play. If VCU is looking in May there probably less than 20 that would fit the criteria.

Now, I am certainly not saying that you are wrong by any stretch only that its conceivable based on the way things work

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
Well, I got it from someone who goes to all of the holiday tournaments who in turn said they got it from VCU. I went ahead and jotted it down to share. We shall see if it is correct.
And I'm not denying your source, just pointing out that it's pretty unusual for a school to have exempt events established five years out when a) there's no news about any teams in events past the 2018-19 season, and b) a number of prominent programs don't even next year's tournament yet. Plus it's an awfully big risk to schedule a program five years out when nobody on the team today is likely to be there.

Perhaps they're in discussions with these tournaments and are tentatively in the respective fields. Perhaps the source misinterpreted what the VCU person said. heck, maybe VCU is the only school to have their exempt-tourney poop together this well. Like you said, we'll see.

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
And I'm not denying your source, just pointing out that it's pretty unusual for a school to have exempt events established five years out when a) there's no news about any teams in events past the 2018-19 season, and b) a number of prominent programs don't even next year's tournament yet. Plus it's an awfully big risk to schedule a program five years out when nobody on the team today is likely to be there.

Perhaps they're in discussions with these tournaments and are tentatively in the respective fields. Perhaps the source misinterpreted what the VCU person said. heck, maybe VCU is the only school to have their exempt-tourney poop together this well. Like you said, we'll see.
I would think some down the road are tentative, yes. Some of those played this year may not even exist 5 yrs from now.

Deb O

Top Member
Insider
Feb 3, 2010
Just thought I would give this a bit of a bump. Just an FYI that someone else told me that these tourneys are a go for VCU. Different person than the Alien spoke to. After December's health scare for the hubs, he said he has realized that you can't deny yourself everything. If you want to do something & you can afford it without putting yourself in a hole, then do it! I'm holding him to it!

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Aren't we about due to have one of those pre-season trips abroad? I forget how often they can be scheduled. It was Spain last time, right?

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
If Kentucky doesn't have something lined up for next year it is either because it just hasn't been announced yet, or because they have competing offers. Different situation than VCU. We want to get locked in to the best option as early as possible and build our schedule around that.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
How do you know there are openings? Isn't your source just some blogger going on what they've read or heard?

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
If Kentucky doesn't have something lined up for next year it is either because it just hasn't been announced yet, or because they have competing offers. Different situation than VCU. We want to get locked in to the best option as early as possible and build our schedule around that.
fur hasn't announced anything either. Mooney is trying to decide between the TDIT and the Benedictine Capital City Classic. I'm hearing Mooney is waiting to see which tournament Trinity Episcopal plays in so he can pick the other for fur.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Just thought I would give this a bit of a bump. Just an FYI that someone else told me that these tourneys are a go for VCU. Different person than the Alien spoke to. After December's health scare for the hubs, he said he has realized that you can't deny yourself everything. If you want to do something & you can afford it without putting yourself in a hole, then do it! I'm holding him to it!

fur hasn't announced anything either. Mooney is trying to decide between the TDIT and the Benedictine Capital City Classic. I'm hearing Mooney is waiting to see which tournament Trinity Episcopal plays in so he can pick the other for fur.

Reactions: Deb O