Holiday Tournaments for the Next 5 Years

The A10 women’s basketball tournament has been in Richmond six times since VCU joined the league, and the league agreed to have the men’s tournament here in 2021, so I don’t see why they wouldn’t have it here
not talking women's tournament

2021 men was smack dab in middle of covid - conference could not play in brooklyn because of restrictions (i think) in NYC being too onerous

city of richmond locale gave conference the ability to play a week earlier and have two decent facilities in one city (philly st joes and lasalle heck no)
they had quite a bit of special covid protocols on cleaning etc and don't think the general public was allowed to watch or if so it was quite restricted as to whom

finals was scheduled a week later in case of covid in Dayton (where we all remember some vcu players got Covid)

if the conference wanted the best attendance it would be in Dayton every year but no one is voting for that -
teams don't want top teams in conference to have added advantage of playing home

IMHO - but I would love to see the a10 mens at Green City don't get me wrong

UVA played a game at the Stu vs a school not named VCU in 2003 or 2004.

Edit - They played Auburn at the Stu in 2004.

thanks: that's a slice of trivia even I didn't know .... also, probably around 2005, Virginia Union played at least one game (vs. Bowie State) at The Stu .... Union lost and coach Dave Robbins vowed "never again." That said, Robbins' Panthers twice defeated VCU in Siegel exhibitions ....

Wonder how hard transportation is into the ESPN facility on Disney. Reading some basic reviews, seems they charge $20 per person per day just to get in, not sure if that's only for junior tournaments/cheer competitions whereas this would be a bigger event sponsored by ESPN.

Can't find a date on this so it could wrong as of now but:

"There is complimentary bus transportation to ESPN Wide World of Sports from Pop Century, All-Star Sports, and Caribbean Beach Disney Resorts. During special events bus transportation may be offered from other resorts as well.

If you are driving to an event at ESPN WWoS general parking is complimentary, however valet parking is available for a fee. "

Can't find a date on this so it could wrong as of now but:

"There is complimentary bus transportation to ESPN Wide World of Sports from Pop Century, All-Star Sports, and Caribbean Beach Disney Resorts. During special events bus transportation may be offered from other resorts as well.

If you are driving to an event at ESPN WWoS general parking is complimentary, however valet parking is available for a fee. "

We have booked Pop Century. There is an actual bus pick-up space specifically for ESPN WWS. It is at the end of the bus pickup line.

Does anyone happen to know when tickets for this falls tourney in Orlando go on sale?

not talking women's tournament

2021 men was smack dab in middle of covid - conference could not play in brooklyn because of restrictions (i think) in NYC being too onerous

city of richmond locale gave conference the ability to play a week earlier and have two decent facilities in one city (philly st joes and lasalle heck no)
they had quite a bit of special covid protocols on cleaning etc and don't think the general public was allowed to watch or if so it was quite restricted as to whom

finals was scheduled a week later in case of covid in Dayton (where we all remember some vcu players got Covid)

if the conference wanted the best attendance it would be in Dayton every year but no one is voting for that -
teams don't want top teams in conference to have added advantage of playing home

IMHO - but I would love to see the a10 mens at Green City don't get me wrong
It's not just the "home court advantage" but its generally about travel & stuff to do when not at Basketball games. And also usually about a "centralized" location.

Lemme ask you this.... what would there be to do in Dayton in the middle of March, when we're not at the A10 Tournament? Where as when the tourney has been in Brooklyn, Pittsburgh & DC... there's PLENTY of stuff to do.

And think about it.... we have 2 NY schools, a school from Mass, Rhode Island, 2 from Philly.... so Brooklyn is kind of a centralized location. DC is also kind of a centralized location because Philly is not far from DC.... you have GW in DC, GMU just outside DC, Richmond & UR with in 2 hours of DC.... and Davidson & Duquesne relatively close as well.

Dayton, SLU & Loyola because of where they are always going to be a ways away no matter where the tourney is... tho Pittsburgh to Dayton is only 4 hours apart.

Why do you think the CAA tournament was always in Richmond? Because we were the central location for the most part. You had VCU (and FUR when they were in the CAA) near by. You had JMU to the West, W&M & Odu to the east.... Towson, Delaware & drexel a few hours away to the north, UNCW, Hofstra & Northeastern were prob the only ones who if driving had to go more than 4 hours to get to the Coliseum.

Dayton was also used for the final in 2021 to try & limit travel & exposure going from the A10 Tourney to Indy where the entire NCAA Tourney was held.

It's not just the "home court advantage" but its generally about travel & stuff to do when not at Basketball games. And also usually about a "centralized" location.

Lemme ask you this.... what would there be to do in Dayton in the middle of March, when we're not at the A10 Tournament? Where as when the tourney has been in Brooklyn, Pittsburgh & DC... there's PLENTY of stuff to do.

And think about it.... we have 2 NY schools, a school from Mass, Rhode Island, 2 from Philly.... so Brooklyn is kind of a centralized location. DC is also kind of a centralized location because Philly is not far from DC.... you have GW in DC, GMU just outside DC, Richmond & UR with in 2 hours of DC.... and Davidson & Duquesne relatively close as well.

Dayton, SLU & Loyola because of where they are always going to be a ways away no matter where the tourney is... tho Pittsburgh to Dayton is only 4 hours apart.

Why do you think the CAA tournament was always in Richmond? Because we were the central location for the most part. You had VCU (and FUR when they were in the CAA) near by. You had JMU to the West, W&M & Odu to the east.... Towson, Delaware & drexel a few hours away to the north, UNCW, Hofstra & Northeastern were prob the only ones who if driving had to go more than 4 hours to get to the Coliseum.

Dayton was also used for the final in 2021 to try & limit travel & exposure going from the A10 Tourney to Indy where the entire NCAA Tourney was held.
Agree with everything you said except for the last sentence. I personally think they wanted the A10 finals in Dayton because Ohio didn't have as many Covid restrictions at the time so there could be more ticket sales, fans in the stands.

Agree with everything you said except for the last sentence. I personally think they wanted the A10 finals in Dayton because Ohio didn't have as many Covid restrictions at the time so there could be more ticket sales, fans in the stands.
Although Ohio's restrictions weren't quite as severe as Virginia's, they were limited to 1500 fans at the A10 final.

Yes but traveling & limiting covid exposure had a lot to do with it. After the A10 Final was over... both teams could literally just hop on a bus & go from Dayton to Indy... roughly a 2.5-3 hour bus ride and immediately go into quarantining in their hotel to try & limit the exposure of Covid to get ready for the A10 Tourney.... where as if they were coming from Richmond, or Brooklyn, or Philly... it either woulda taken a 8-10 hour bus ride... or having to deal with a charter flight or something.

If the NCAA tourney was being held in Atlanta... the A10 Final prob woulda been held at Davidson that year. Again... to help limit the amount of travel & exposure.

Yes but traveling & limiting covid exposure had a lot to do with it. After the A10 Final was over... both teams could literally just hop on a bus & go from Dayton to Indy... roughly a 2.5-3 hour bus ride and immediately go into quarantining in their hotel to try & limit the exposure of Covid to get ready for the A10 Tourney.... where as if they were coming from Richmond, or Brooklyn, or Philly... it either woulda taken a 8-10 hour bus ride... or having to deal with a charter flight or something.

If the NCAA tourney was being held in Atlanta... the A10 Final prob woulda been held at Davidson that year. Again... to help limit the amount of travel & exposure.
Well we saw how that quarantine and limiting the exposure of Covid worked out 😔

I think it had everything to do with Dayton's proximity to Indianapolis, where the NCA Tournament was played that year. Both teams had to bus to Indianapolis after the game/Section Sunday that Sunday evening and enter quarantine/clear quarantine before being approved to play in the NCAA Tournament. The A-10 is always one of the last tournament championships played on Sundays prior to Selection Sunday and playing the championship in Dayton was the best option logistically for getting teams to Indianapolis so they could enter/clear quarantine protocol.

Back